Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Family History - My great-grandfather's shop « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I'd share a couple of terrific photos that my mother had of her grandfather's shop on McDougall. According to her information the address was 626 McDougall and I was wondering if this street was one of the many that was re-numbered at one point. The shop existed sometime around the 1910s-1940s I believe. His name was Paul J. Kraft. If anyone has access to a directory and could verify the dates I would really appreciate it!!
626 McDougall Exterior

626McDougall Interior

Ct4438

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i290.photobucket.com/al bums/ll243/mlp928/scan0004.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/al bums/ll243/mlp928/scan0005.jpg

Hope these links work for viewing of larger photos...

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Ct those photos are awesome!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polk's 1928 Detroit City Directory is on-line here.

626-628 McDougall shows "Curtis, Jerry" on page 2471.
Paul J. Kraft does not appear on page 1255.

Type in the page number in the "Search this text" box and then scroll down to that page. In the "Format" drop down menu box, select "PDF" to get a higher quality image.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4855
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, when did that copy of Polks get digitized?

Are there any other years?

Ct4438

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not certain that the number is right. I am however certain it was McDougall and his name was Paul J. Kraft. According to my grandmother, they lived either behind or next to the shop. He moved the family to Harrison Township in the 20s.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ct, thanks for the awesome pictures. One thing I notice is how much dirt and dust is on everything. Pavement sure helped that, didn't it!

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check KROFT and KREFT.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CT,

Your great great grandfather was Ernst Frances Charles KREFT. He was born in Germany in 1855. His wife was Carolina and she was born in Michigan. Ernst resided on Division Street in 1890 and owned his own business on Gratiot as a barrel maker. It is believed that your great great grandfather is my great great grandfather's brother.

Your great grandfather, Paul, resided in 1920 at 626 MacDougall with his wife, Mary and their children. He registered for WWII and by 1930 is living in Harrison, Michigan. Paul is also found under the name of KROFT, KRAFT, and KREFT.

Please contact me. I believe we are related.

mc1r at mac dot com

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think U of M put it on-line back in 2005. I haven't been able to find any other Directories on their site.

Here are a couple of useful pages of the Directory:

Title Page (page 5)
General Index (page 7)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mash and Ct, tell us if you are related and you didn't even know each other, ok?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ct what great pics! Thanks for sharing them; and here in the process, looks like you've connected with a cousin on here! I just love family history stories and finding relatives along the way. Makes my heart smile.

Ct4438

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was stunned to read a branch of my family tree described to me on here. Yes, Mash appears to be a distant relative I didn't know I had. In fact, I know almost nothing about Ernst (my gg grandfather's) extended family. I was just hoping for confirmation on dates and address of Paul's shop. Too funny!

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 819
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pages 201 to 209 has a nice list of hotels...

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much for that link, Mikeg. Even better that it's pre-Depression era Detroit, before a lot of families were disrupted by that. It even has occupations listed. Much appreciated!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats a nice surprise for those two.

The building in the pic looks as though it may have been used for a machine shop. Notice the link belt system in the ceiling. If thats what it is, doubtful a repair garage would have installed that.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 370
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

love the old garage photos,thanks for the link to polk,s found my great grandpas address to his tailor shop.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 805
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the only directory they have digitized? I'd like to see the 1930's and 40's.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found my grandfathers address-awesome

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grumpy, Im desperately trying to find the thread where you defended me when someone was making fun of the one eyed gardening rock stacker. I cant find any search results. Do you remember that?You said something like "Thats low, making fun of a blind guy" or something to that effect. I hope that was you and you can direct me. I searched your name and this is the only thread I came up with, where you have posted. ?????

Frankg

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 31 digitized Detroit City directories from the years 1852-1895. I bought them on eBay or something for like $50 or something like that a couple years ago. I should put together a website and put them online for everyone to use, too. I can't believe they are copyrighted or anything as copyrights run out after 50 years or something like that? Anyway, the directories are interesting. I found out my great-great grandfather was a blacksmith on Gratiot and Russel in 1861. His civil war army records showed he was a blacksmith before the war, and started as a blacksmith in the 1st Mich Lt. Artillery Battery A, but after the war he was a grocer. Seeing in the city directories he was in fact a blacksmith confirms the army records. I also found out the my grandmother's father or father, I don't remember which, literally married the girl next door.

Another interesting tidbit is that I tracked my family residences on my Mom's and my Dad's side. They all started in the Eastern Market area in the mid-late 1800's. The most interesting thing is the outward migration with successive generations, each generation literally moving further from the city center largely along Gratiot, until the 1970's when they moved to the suburbs. But I can track the migration to what "was" the suburbs over the course of 150 years!

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey frank I would be interested in your information. I bought a house that I can't peg early information on. The Burton only has directories 1850, 1865 and my house was built somewhere between that. I think the wayne country records indicated the area was opened to building in 1858, but I can't confirm. Id love to get my eyes on some of those directories. Let me know if you want to check into some things for me.

Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django....Yes, that was definitely me. Don't know why you couldn't pull up all my postings in the search section. Did u search using my name only? I pulled up the list but don't have time to go through all of them. It might have been in the thread about talking to the cops about "Hank" across the street. If you can't find it let me know and I will look when I get a few minutes. Wasn't that the same posting where you or someone posted a closeup of an eyeball??

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is wonderful thread Ct - you've brought some much needed information into the lives of others, as well as yourself and a relative you didn't know you had!

Just goes to show you what a source of information this forum is. You never know which words of a treasure you might find here from day to day.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 735
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread! I found my Great grand parents on MikeM's directory living at LaSalle right where the lodge is now.

(Message edited by cambrian on June 20, 2008)

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3061
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

found my grandparents on Congress...thanks

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3645
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

August 1915:

Paul J Craft
auto repair
rear 626 McDougall
phone Ridge 2602-R

Mikem

Post Number: 3646
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at an old Sanborn map, it appears that 626 McDougall was the fourth house north of Heidelberg on the east side of McDougall. The shop was a separate building in back on the alley. After the renumbering in 1920, the new address became 3418/3420 McDougall. Either the house was turned into a duplex or the additional number apples to the shop in back.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3274
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

License plate on that car appears to be a 1916. It was the only year in the first three decades of Michigan plates that was white, except for 1910, but the cars are newer than 1910.

Sample from my collection:

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray 1936 check out this guys; web on the Mich. license plates. It looks like the one on the car is 1914??
http://madmaxsauthenticplates. com/index.html

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool - found assorted in-laws in the directory. Thanks for sharing it!

Frankg

Post Number: 330
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroithabitater send me an email fgoeddeke at gmail dot com

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5619
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hehe. I found my grandparents too. Ambrose Foster Moore was a "compositor" (typesetter) for Mathews Industries, Inc. We called him "Grumpy Gramps" because he was anything but grumpy. We also called him Curly because he had no hair.

I can't quite make out the address but I know they lived on Cooper Avenue -- at one time at 406 and another at something like ?5780 Cooper.

Page 1504

Thanks, Mikeg!

Mikem

Post Number: 3647
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had lunch on the east side so I drove by on my way home. The house and shop are still there but abandoned. The alley has a pile of debris behind the shop making it hard to get a closer look. Sorry - didn't have a camera with me.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3277
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oooops....I overlooked the 1914. Yup, that be the year all right. The 1916 would have shown the aluminum medallion that was attached in the upper left, and the photo sure doesn't indicate that.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent thread! This is the stuff that always keeps me here. If just 1 out of 10 threads could be this good it would be a perfect world for me.

Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django...I found the posting you were asking about. It is in the thread "Detroit headed towards an urban wasteland". Here's a link to the page with my post... https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/143185.html?1213741696

Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to have access to more City directories! So if anyone has them and can post links it would be greatly appreciated.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankg, your digital collection would be very interesting if available on-line. Recommendation - make back-up copies of your digital collection. I'm a Software Developer and do a lot of web work and would be willing to assist in the effort to put the collection on-line. An alternative would be to donate (copies of) your collection to a worthy enterprise that currently archives and places such data on-line.

Frankg

Post Number: 332
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I have copies - I just need a place to upload them to. Let me know if you find a place I can put them. The later years are HUGE files. fgoeddeke at gmail dot com.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2328
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the looks of that second picture the building he worked out of had been a manufacturing plant before his car repair operation took it over. There are pulley shafts mounted from the roof joists that would have been driven by a stationary engine to power machine tools via belts that would go from a pulley on those shafts to a pulley on the machine tool.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was really great to see someones history outlined on this thread. My parents got interested in our family geneology some years back. They did a great job researching both sides of the family. I can tell you I appreciate all the work they put into it. It somehow enhances the sense of family to know your roots.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl_Jr, you are exactly right. This is a great example of what a treasure this site is. Thank You Lowell!

Reddog289

Post Number: 381
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packman, i was thinkin the same thing, great thread.

Ct4438

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth, I don't know if the original intent of the shop was to be a garage to fix automobiles. My great-grandfather obviously had some knowledge and skill with machine repair and machining in general. He went on years later to build a "shop" or factory in Roseville called KraftTube Fabrications that produced metal tubing and other components. The building still stands although it houses an automotive supplier these days. I have complete firsthand knowledge of that building and that it was no mere "shop" but a full-fledged factory with large machines and dozens of employees. So, I appreciate all the input because the details in that picture are not really understood by myself or my immediate family. What you say makes sense.

Also, I'm happy that I shared these photos. If it brought attention to anyone else's family history or brought about other links of info than I am so pleased.

Reddog289

Post Number: 383
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I can figure out how to do it a pic of your great grandpa,s garage will hang in mine. THANX

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the greatest shot. Not sure this is it, it's near the address though.

(Message edited by karl jr. on June 22, 2008)

Ct4438

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog:

What an honor! Thank you

Karl_jr:

Looks like that may be it, thank you for your efforts!

Reddog289

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried to print ,but failed. Talking to my Mom on saturday she told me where my G.GRANDPA,S tailor shop was. It,s where MLK BLVD{MYRTLE] crosses the Eway. Good thing Ct4438 can see the links to his fore fathers.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.