Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Old 15th Precinct « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a thread about the old DPD precinct numbering and on it was something that said the station at Gratiot & Conner was never the 15th. I just found this website about that station and it WAS the 15th. Cute audio at the beginning when the site opens. http://www.15thprecinct.org/

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew that. I lived there from the time I was born until I was 17 and my father was stationed there for several years. It was one of the biggest precincts in the city. What thread said it wasn't there. I know that they've renumbered them, so maybe that's what they meant.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that linkage, GOL. I really enjoy learning about our police history by those who lived it. I have it bookmarked :-)

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole: My dad too...Badge# 1052 was stationed at the 15th...Gratiot & Connor...from 1929-1949. It was the 15th every time my mother and I drove down to pick him up after work. Somebody on a website doesn't know what they're talking about.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3279
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was sent to work at the 15th precinct for one day in 1956 when I was a Police Cadet (switchboard phone operator).

It took me two days to find my way back home.

Jcole

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, dad was on the force from 1936-1973, and at 15 in the late 50's/early 60's. I think he was a Lieutenant at the time.

Lafontaine
Username: Lafontaine

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was a sergeant there in the 1970s. When he died in 1977, he was buried in Gethsemane across the street. The funeral procession passed the 15th where all the officers were outside and saluted the hearse. I thought it was a tremendous display of unity.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father was at 15 for many years,we lost my uncle in the line of duty dec 21 1975.

Goblue

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafon: My parents are buried in Gethsemane too...they wanted to be near the 15th...my dad collected his pension for 35 years...the fact that he stood on the Blue Line put my sister and me through college. That was a tremendous display they put on for your dad.

Ray1936: You Westside guys always get lost when you come east...damn good thing you married a woman with Eastside roots.

Jcole: Our dads had enough overlap...I'll bet they ran into each other somewhere along the line...mine was on the street for his entire career...although for the last couple of years he got himself assigned to prisoner transfer for the 15th.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3286
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ray1936: You Westside guys always get lost when you come east...damn good thing you married a woman with Eastside roots."

Darn straight. Her sister lives in Romeo. I thought that was somewhere on Walpole Island. She drives when we visit her.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 635
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ray1936-did you know my uncle?police commisioner John Nichols?

Jcole

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn, I think all of us here knew John Nichols. My dad campaigned for him for Mayor.

Jcole

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, when dad retired in 73, he was an inspector, stationed at #1. He had been at Jefferson/St. Jean for a while before that, and 15 before that. He was in the city county building in charge of the License bureau for a while. Early on, he was at Hastings St, and Hunt St. I don't know all the dates exactly, but he was around for a long time. His name was James Cole

Jcole

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad retired to Almont, where he was police chief for a couple years, and when he died, Detroit sent a color guard up here for the funeral, as well as the Lapeer Sheriff's, and all the local forces. It was very touching. I think there were cars from 7 municipalities.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3288
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wife was born in Almont, Jcole. Nice little town. And like you say, we all knew John Nichols. I worked on the campaign too. I still say had he resigned when Gribbs wanted him to, he would have edged out Coleman. Sigh.

Jcole

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't mind my asking, what was your wife's maiden name?

I know my dad felt the same way

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 636
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about Johannes Spreen?

Jcole

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad knew him too

Goblue

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: A neighbor who lived across the street on Fordham was Bob Abbott...he was a little younger than my dad...he was a lieutenant at the 5th but when I was a kid he was in the Mounted Division...his two sons and I had a great time playing on his extra saddle when we were little. Your dad's name doesn't ring a bell but then I was too young...my dad died in '84.

Jcole

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad died in '75. I was 19 at the time. We had just moved to Almont in '73. I don't remember a lot of his co-workers, but there were 5 cops on Maddelein when I was growing up. I also have his book from his 35 anniversary party thrown at the Detroit Athletic Club with pictures going back to his beat pounding days. I treasure it with my life. I dated a couple sons of cops when I was a teen. One was Brock Oram, son of Sid Oram, and the other was Dave Wrobleski, but I don't know his dad's first name

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave's dad was mike wrobleski(I'm pretty sure)

Jcole

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That wrings a bell, Dave. He went to Notre Dame and was about 6'3"

Jcole

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, was ES dad a cop, too?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 362
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God, I loved that building! They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Jcole

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what you mean, Eastside. It was so sturdy and solid it made you feel safe.

Goblue

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: No...ES61's dad was a DPS school principal.

I remember one time being at the 15th with my dad when I was maybe 8 years old...I put a slug that I had found somewhere into the peanut machine...and it worked. I spent several days waiting to be arrested. Other great memories of being at the bowling alley with him when the DPD league was bowling...listening to the men...hearing them tease each other...sitting at the bar with them with my orange pop...it was another time and another reality.

Jcole

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was Santa Claus for the Police Goodfellows and the K of C. When I was little, we would go to the Knight's Christmas party and he would get up to 'go help' and a few minutes later, Santa would be ho ho hoing his way into the hall. My sister and I never caught on. I don't know if that's a compliment to my dad's Santa-ness, or an indication of our intelligence, but it is a great memory. I'm sure it is for the hundreds of little under-privledged kids who got to sit on his lap, too.

Goblue

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Those men were more than good cops...they put so much back into their community. My dad was a BSA Scoutmaster and a Babe Ruth League manager when he was still single in the mid-20's. I have a pic around here somewhere of him in his DPD uniform with his baseball team.

Jcole

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB, my dad was a member of the St. Jude's choir as long as I can remember, as well as K of C, and they called him Mr. Goodfellow because he headed the police effort for the Old Newsboy/Goodfellows for a number of years. This in addition to raising 5 kids and always being around for the neighborhood kids.
Yep, they were more than good cops, they were just good people.

Goblue

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Had forgotten about the Old Newsboy/Goodfellows...my dad was one of the guys on the street peddling papers...they had to have crossed paths at some point. Well stated..."they were just good people". I still miss mine though its been 24 years.

Jcole

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad will be gone 33 years on Aug. 10, and it seems like yesterday.
I have a Goodfellow paper here somewhere with his picture leading up a group going to deliver the boxes to the kids. If I find it, I'll let you know.

Senior
Username: Senior

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine, Tom Schettler, lived in the trailer park behind the 15th. As a youngster he was arrested (minor offense), and ended up in a cell with a view of his home out the window. He got homesick in a hurry.

We also picked up our equipment bag for the Detroit Rec. League baseball season at the 15th.
every year. As I remember, we got all the Catcher's gear except for a mitt. Not a bad deal and obviously Detroit was doing much better then.

I also went to the pre-licensing driver ed. class which used to be a requirement before the schools had Driver Ed. The instructors were two
of the younger Police Officers, and they did an excellent job.

Senior

Goblue

Post Number: 2100
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senior: One of my uncles...a DPD motorcycle cop lived in that trailer park...but as I recall they lived in a quonset hut that was right in that area...my uncle, aunt and three cousins. The cousin my age was Bernard Thompson...he'd be about 67 or 68 now...haven't had contact with him in decades.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.