Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Top Secret Locations To Watch The Fireworks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need a new top secret location to watch the fireworks from. Last couple of years I would go to the state park on the river front, and hop the fence into that huge factory for a front row seat. We got caught last year and had to leave.

So where are all the DYers favorite hiding spots? I need a new one. I was thinking on top of the packard plant....

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 637
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i will be on the rooftop of the RenCen. its the best

Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice. How do you get up there? Would love to bring my camera and tripod and take pictures.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 489
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Book Tower fire escape. ooo wait.....

Pgn421

Post Number: 638
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i used to go out on the DFD fireboat.that was real nice,too

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...psssttt...on the barge! Ya gotta do one of those frogman things, but worth it. And don't tell everyone, there is only so much room...ssshhhh...

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking garage across from Rivard Plaza...went there to watch the Red Bull Air Race.

Detmi7mile

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or...the overpass coming off the Lodge South onto 75...we were actually going downtown and coming down the overpass we saw a lot of people waiting, so we pulled over too and got a pretty good view.

Detmi7mile

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OHHH...maybe the 34th floor of the Penobscot Building. I always can get up there when I want to take some pics of the top of the Guardian Building, but I wouldn't know if they would let anyone up that late.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd tell you, but it's classified Top Secret lol.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a vacant lot on the SE corner of 12th and Fort, my former employer owned it along with the 5 story building on the SW corner. Every year for the fireworks we would make sure the grass was cut the day before (we cut it weekly) and quite often some shady types would try to park thier custom vans near the Fort street entrance and charge people to park on our land. We had good connections with the DPD and one call and they would be run off. We just let people park for free and watch, then clean up the mess the next day.
Try the lot--the new owner fixed up the building on the SW corner and it just sits there doing nothing. The vacant lot is still there, empty as ever, though the new owner never cuts any grass.
If the lot is usable the two players in the custom van will probably be there, wanting a $20.
Don't set them shit you, It's not their land to sell.

(Message edited by 56packman on June 22, 2008)

Pgn421

Post Number: 639
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56pack-then you must have either of gone to Steak Hut, or Johnnys Ham King

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be sitting on the roof of the production trailer for the main stage at River Days. Been here 15 hours so far today, probably 18 hours tomorrow. Maybe it's not secret, but it's still pretty sweet!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really a secret, but there is always a nice party on top of WSU Parking Structure #2.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take the People Mover, hit the emergency stop button when you get to the riverfront.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By accident, I discovered that a lot of people watch the fireworks from the sheds and parking lots in Eastern Market. Not sure if you can see every kind of fireworks in that location, but you can see something.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2646
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, is the land south of Jefferson and the main post office ever used? That would be a great location to see the fireworks. Also, the spot where the old Free Press printing press stood would be an ideal spot to see the fireworks(I know you can't use it, but just pointing out that if it was available that it would be an ideal viewing spot).

BTW2, does the post office use the area immediately behind it for viewing the fireworks? I've never ventured west of Hart Plaza to see the fireworks. However, whenever I hear about a western location to view the fireworks, I always hear about viewing them from Riverside Park.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me and my family watched them one year from the Penobscot Building. It was so cool to see them burst at eye level. The only drawback was when we came out of the building - there was this wall of people moving towards us. The crowd looked like something out of that old movie "The Blob". Scared the crap out of our 9 year old son.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 868
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently I will be meeting some other DYESers at Fort Wayne this year. Very exciting.

It will be my fiancees first time to ever see them.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce (and anyone else)

The land in front of the post office was the Free Press Distribution center and that was always a fenced off party. However.... in front of that land is a city park that opens up at the foot of Twelfth Street (south of Fort, for all you foreigners), and extends east, along the river, towards the Riverfront Apts. Once you make it thru the MADNESS that is the park entrance, and continue east, the lighting ends, (and so does the crowd), you can basically sit there on the grass, or dangle your feet over the break-water, and watch the entire fireworks un-impeded, on the river. Bring a blanket, because if the chick-a-dees drink too much, you wanna walk further east and make your own outhouse, because the port-a-pots are few and nasty. The eastern-most gate for this park (behind the Riverfront Apts.) has always been closed off for the fireworks, so you have to enter at 12th.

We never leave Hamtramck before 9, and always get there right before 10 by taking Trumbull, turning right, and parking somewhere north of Lafayette, but south of Porter. There are blocks of parking here, and no one knows. Afterwards, McCarthy's Pub (at Fort and 8th, across from the Post office) is where we wait for the traffic to clear. Easy in, easy out, the best views, and you can breathe.

Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you get into the Penobscot Building? Do I need to be a Kwame Special VIP or do you just go up there?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2555
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just a wild hunch, but I assume you just walk through the door into the lobby. :-)

Detmi7mile

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^bingo...and go straight to the elevator. Been doin that for awhile and I was surprised everytime that security did not stop me. Like I said, it might be different for Monday Night. Unlike the Guardian Building where I can't just go up to the top all willy nilly :-(

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5182
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stanton Park.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DBC - I actually worked in the building at that particular time (I should have mentioned that earlier), and I had a key to the office and all. But security did not ask any questions. That was way before 9/11 tho'. You could watch from a window on one of the top floors. I believe you would have to have special permission to go right to the roof however.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the rooftop of the 555 is a sweet spot, but climbing the ladder back down is scary stuff

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 366
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The roof of the new parking decks in West Dearborn give you a clear view above the tree line. Not as close, but no traffic! Turn on the radio simulcast to hear the music.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 728
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This year you can park on the Ambassador Bridge. You still have to pay the toll, though. They're trying to get Matty Maroun some good PR for a change. So grab some booze at the duty free and start the party.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"take the People Mover, hit the emergency stop button when you get to the riverfront."

i love it.

I wonder if Ella B.C. will be there again with the camera crew to monitor the crowd.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 886
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that there is an annual barbecue on top of troy's house. anyone who knows this building knows what i'm talking about... i've never had the cahones to go in there at night. too easy for any old schmoe to go in... Wurlitzer I feel safer in... but Troy's house at night... nuh uh.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 948
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

most corktowners can watch them from there back yard or go down to trinity.

Bigdiesel07
Username: Bigdiesel07

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Belle Isle a good place to watch the fireworks? This is going to be the first time I go, so does anybody have tips on what to bring or things to look out for?

Detmi7mile

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^You better get there early. I'm not sure if they still let people camp out in their RVs though it still will be crowded early nonetheless.

Bigdiesel07
Username: Bigdiesel07

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Early like 6 or 7 PM? Or early afternoon? Thanks Detmi7mile

Pgn421

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the fireworks were great!

Detmi7mile

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were!! Where did everybody watch them from??

I had a great spot at the parking garage like I said. It was quite a few people up there.

But I really enjoyed it. I'm SO GLAD I live downtown though. Walking back home and seeing how egregious that traffic was.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2333
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn21-- quote: "56pack-then you must have either of gone to Steak Hut, or Johnny's Ham King"

Yeah, both of them. Johnny's was always interesting. I used to stop at the donut factory on Trumbull and Fort and pick up a dozen fat pills for the retired guys who worked in one operation we had in our building. It's gone now.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, I did all of the above and bought a leather jacket (Reed) at Leathers Unlimited. After work it was the Green Dot Stables.

Pgn421

Post Number: 656
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my view of the fireworks atop the RenCen was fabulous

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.