Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » WDIV's Paula Tutman an author? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Shiva
Username: Shiva

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that WDIV's Paula Tutman wrote a book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xO7znEhwCqs

It is interesting that WDIV took so much time in their newscast to promote her book.

Tutman's own website shills the book as one would expect.

http://paulaltutman.com

I'll run right over to the River Walk to get my autograph!

(Message edited by Shiva on June 22, 2008)

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd be the only one.

Shiva

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an ego she has!

Shiva

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, no literary critics out there?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 6713
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is, at least I think, the worst of the worst. she loves to hear herself talk and is so amused by herself, it ruins every interview she does

Shiva

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They got Ziggy!"

Just skimmed passages from what is evidently a self-published book by Paula. At this moment I am ashamed to call myself an author.

Shiva

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They got Ziggy, indeed!

At least Ziggy didn't have to suffer throughout the rest of Tutman's horrific prose.

We should all be as fortunate as Ziggy when it comes to watching the news whenever Tutman is on.

(Message edited by Shiva on June 24, 2008)

Shiva

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word gets around!

Richard_bak

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have never bet in a thousand years that my first cover blurb would be for Paula Tutman.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if my book will get as much air time when it comes out!

Can’t help wondering if this is a vanity press/self-published type of thing... doesn’t look like the book is available, until you order it. Maybe the publishing company’s waiting til someone orders one to print one.

http://www.amazon.com/Deadline -Paula-L-Tutman/dp/0981584551/ ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid =1214410446&sr=1-1

Richard, I'm curious... you wrote Across Three Centuries, right?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 771
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The book sounds interesting. I think I'll read it.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2567
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of stock! Must be an item in high demand.

Richard_bak

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evelyn...guilty. A good looking book in terms of illustrations and design, but too many errors to call it one of my better efforts. This is what happens when you write a book in a rush (evenings and weekends) while working a fulltime staff job (and when the publisher doesn't hire a good copy editor). Oh well, there has never been a book published that didn't have some errors of fact, a dropped line, or typos in it.

As for Paula Tutman's book, it's obviously self-published. Whatever print shop she employs is her "publisher." The extremely low print runs of print-on-demand (POD) are the best way for Tutman to keep her basement and garage from overflowing with boxes of straight-to-the-remainder-tabl e copies.

I

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 778
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How come people disparage vanity publishers? Walt Whitman only got published because he owned a press. And many people like his writing. He was an old school vanity publisher. Hell, many known authors probably were.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh please...comparing a guy who loved literature and was publishing on his own press in the 19th century with this plethora of trashy print for profit companies...come on. There's a huge difference.

People pay to be published on vanity publishers, then don't understand why it isn't a ticket to glory. It's because there's no quality control and such books are a dime a dozen.

Shiva

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Out of stock! Must be an item in high demand.

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #164,121

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 780
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Richard Bak, I looked at your list of books on Amazon ... did you really work with Caleb Carr? That's impressive. The Alienist is an excellent book.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all the important news stories the local news covers I'm surprised they were able to find three minutes to let one of their employees use the news for free advertising.

What next, reporters using the news to push their garage sale and their kids school bake sale?

Richard_bak

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think self-publishing is inherently bad. There will always be informative monographs and quirky little titles that no mainstream house, including university publishers (whose original mission was to publish such books), will touch. I wouldn't put Tutman's Great American Novel in that category.

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tutman is an idiot. I once heard her ask a grieving mother whose daughter had just been murdered, "how do you feel?"

She also pronounces the word "again" to rhyme with "pain" as if it makes her seem smart. It doesn't.

But on a positive note: Mr. Bak, I'm a big fan of your books; they're among my all-time faves, and hold a prominent place on my bookshelf.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh heh, ya'll kinda got me chucklin' on this one. So far as speculating as to the extent that Ms. Tutman has grasp and command of the English language in the FIRST place... well, simply speculating about it should keep me besmirkedley amused throughout the work day today. Yes, I said besmirked. It's a word, trust me.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2421
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I will just wait for the movie.

Shiva

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be a ghastly movie indeed.

Unless Ms. Tutman was playing the part of Ziggy!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.