Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » LA = 7 yrs to high quality Mass Transit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting article on LA being able to impossibly seeming to put in a good transit system in a mere 7 years. Might rely on some of the LA contingent on here to provide insight on this...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/opinion/chi-commute-la-ch icago_thinkjun22,0,5698629.sto ry

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LA has crappy public transit.

Yes, it has improved, but it still sucks. It's a metro of 18 million with one dinky subway line. There's also a couple of light rail lines and (of course) bus service. For the suburbs, there's a skeletal commuter rail network that has very spotty ridership and frequency and doesn't even run on weekends.

Transit in Chicago is five times better; transit in NYC is 50 times better.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2558
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Hey, they're way ahead of us. :-)

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed, they're way ahead of Detroit, but I sure as heck wouldn't say they have good transit, as if they were a European city or something.

Pennst8
Username: Pennst8

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metrolink service to certain suburban areas could use improvement, but I wouldn't go so far to call 388 miles of track 'skeletal'.

BTW 4 out of the 7 lines run on Sat and Sunday

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 890
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been in LA in over twenty years and then we sat in the world's biggest parking lot trying to get to downtown from Long Beach. I couldn't imagine what it would take to commute everyday. I think I'd just live at the office.
Maybe since then, they've at least put in a lane for busses.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.