Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit headed towards an urban wasteland » Archive through June 18, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 980
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2442
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I feel sick now.

Thanks a lot Django! :-(

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 451
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all the negitive attitude Detroit will never improve or will take longer to improve!

We can't change the past only the Future!

Take Pride in your City!

and I am in Rochester Hills not even a citizen of Detroit!

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one eyeball that doesn't work so well, Django, just like you. Maybe we need another thread started in the "Connect" section. :-)

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we get together, we could pass the drivers test at the DMV.

I didnt mean to jack, THEY STARTED IT.lol

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2443
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all the optimism on this site, Detroit SHOULD be in better shape than it is now.

I love to talk positively about Detroit, but I want to see positive thing actually happen before my eyes.

I apologize if anyone disagrees with me,

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have all the answers for Detroit. It's so simple, it's stupid. That's why it will never work. :-(

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Come, Wander the Wasteland" , would be a good slogan to attract tourists to the CoD. I have personally seen wild life such as coyotes and fox, racoons, vultures, possums and coveys of quail and the numerous rabbits,pheasants rats and feral ghetto dog packs. Quite a different version of the displaced road kill in the Suburban Land of Strip Plasti-malls.

Detnerd, I am also a resident just slightly north of Hamtown and have heard spring peepers singing their mating calls near Holbrook and Conant near the railroad tracks.

I have yet to see or smell a skunk in "the wasteland", but no doubt they are here too.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

________
I
I
I ime out!

This is America. The blighting of Detroit is an opportunity for others. We have seen ethnic classes come into Detroit and other cities and make it work. The Cubans in greater Miami - there are whole communities reborn there, many 2nd and 3rd generations developing entrepreneurs, professionals.

The problem is clearly defined as the ghetto class problem of entitlement. Take the entitlements away and slowly Detroit will come back.

The new neighbors may not have the wealth of the old days, more classic homes may have to be razed, but America is not getting any bigger. It's got defined borders and last time I checked nobody was scrambling to live in the middle of North Dakota. People will go where there is a higher quality of life and Detroit will offer that in the future because of the location and infrastructure.

Quietly the ghetto class will desolve, over many years. In Des Moines, we have bad neighborhoods, but they are not even close to the bad ones in Detroit or Houston.

People don't want to live next to drug dealers and dumbasses all their life.

It's a class of people created by the Great Society and even kind of goes back to the New Deal days. Not going to go away overnight but be patient.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4854
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's sarcasm aside, the "whole point of this forum" is to answer 'what went wrong, how can we fix it, & how can we come together as an entire international metropolis and heal our beloved city?'

LOL @ registeredguests first post.

For the thread starter's first post 'Don't let the door hitya where the good lawd splitya.'

As for django 'In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.' I hope your eye heals soon because you are seeing out of one than a lot are seeing out of two.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Resurget Cineribus

History repeats itself. enough said.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto class sure doesn't seem to be going anywhere to me , we're already in the third generation of this way of life . As long as I continue to see 25 year old girls with 4 fatherless kids I don't see any end in sight .

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not even an urban/suburban thing even more as the suburbs are on the down swing as well. The region is in trouble.

SEMichiganMetroAreaYesNoSorta! .org

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 377
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was an interesting thread.

A survey is in order i think, please state whether or not you live in the city, your age, and your general perception of the city (i.e. positive vs. negative).

First i was amazed at all of the negativity that oozed to the surface from my original negativity. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems that most of the negativity towards the city seems to have come from those that don't actually live in the city. I know it's naive of me, but i honestly believe that my generation of the suburban lost doesn't really carry the years of defeatism that someone mentioned has been ongoing for three generations.

Second, i was further amazed by those that were able to unconditionally accept the negativity as simple standard operating procedure towards the city. I would venture to say that most of those that can shrug off the barrage of constant abuse are actually residents of the city regardless of age.

Third, i expected more of the 'who needs ya ayway' mentality. I can't say i would blame anyone on this forum though for simply shrugging off another disenfranchised Detroiter, considering the bombastic rhetoric we see here daily.

So thanks everyone for your remarks! Django, loved the picture! Very cool.

Finally, let me apologize to everyone for dissing the city publicly. If you have ever read any of my posts, you would know that i am a staunch Detroit supporter and that i'm not going anywhere unless it's in handcuffs. There is no excuse for my claims of Detroit being destined to become an Urban wasteland. There are simply too many good people in this city working on the right things. My frustration stems from both up on high as well as being compounded by the constant negativity and lack of vision that so many in this country are guilty of (it's not just Detroit, just magnified on this forum).

So anyway, this thread was me being a whiny little bitch. But i think i learned something here and would very much appreciate anyone that would care to partake in the simple survey.

So peace out Detroit and forgive my bad day.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 679
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Due to this thread's discussion, yesterday, on my way home from work, I drove the section of Detroit on Seven Mile from the Southfield freeway to Woodward just to remind myself what real Detroit looks like. Wow. What the fuck. Gas prices could reach 50 bucks a gallon, I'm not moving to that hood to be closer to any job.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm not moving to that hood to be closer to any job."

That's too bad - I, for one, am devastated. Shocked and disappointed. I don't know what I am going to do! Is there anything we can do to make you re-consider? Would a five paragraph justification about all the advantages of living in Detroit help? Maybe I can tell you how great the 7-Mile corridor really is - would that help? We need your enlightening and original opinions - and we need them in Detroit! We don't have enough talkers here - we need more! Please, please, please - we need to do something to get you to reconsider. Anything!

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You, sir, are a weirdo.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2461
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't bother Rehisteredguest, he'll just ride his light rail train from his safe Home down Woodward to the nearest Bed, Bath and Beyond in a mega shopping plaza.

He won't have to worry about the 7 mile corridor at all...

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 454
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very odd.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yesterday i flew to the moon to see if any other planet was worthwhile in the galaxy. the moon sucks, therefore the rest of the galaxy is terrible and i'm going to start broadcasting radio waves telling everybody how stupid they are for not living on earth. hey everybody, look at me!

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 690
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget Bed, Bath, Butts, and Beyond. I just want a public rail system so I don't have to drink and drive. I wanna get smashed and take public transportation. Or maybe save some gas if it'll go from my home to work.

Incidentally, I saw some really beautiful houses near 7 Mile and Woodward; near All Saints church where my sister got married. Those houses are nice. I'm going to buy one (maybe two?) and move it brick by brick out to the suburbs.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

RSA

yesterday i flew to the moon to see if any other planet was worthwhile in the galaxy. the moon sucks, therefore the rest of the galaxy is terrible and i'm going to start broadcasting radio waves telling everybody how stupid they are for not living on earth. hey everybody, look at me!

The moon is a planet?

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently RSA is smoking the pot.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Sigh*

Well, I see they've finished converting all the LaSalle bank branches over to B of A. :-)

Detroit finally has 2 national banks.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on June 18, 2008)

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 693
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet!

Detroitking
Username: Detroitking

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit really needs a spacemonkey!

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 694
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2465
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we're discussing galaxies and moons...

I heard a rumor that The Commodores may re-unite for a world tour. :-)

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get it.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know you don't...

I'm sure they would. :-)