Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Home foreclosure protest in front of the First National building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure why this building was chosen as the protest target. Are they protesting the National City bank branch or is there a larger corporate office in the building? I thought the National City headquarters was in Troy. Is there some other company these folks would be protesting?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5023
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds pretty damn goofy [to protest at all].

Reluctanttaxpayer
Username: Reluctanttaxpayer

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what did they accomplish?

1) Cost the city money (police presence)
2) Cost small business owners money (lost sales)
3) Make fools of themselves (acted like it was some party)

Most of the people had no idea what they were protesting and their damn noisemakers did NOT help them get their message across.

And to answer your question, Chris. Yes they were protesting the bank.

(Message edited by reluctanttaxpayer on June 23, 2008)

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any idea what their message was? I suppose I don't understand the purpose of protesting in front of a bank branch.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6057
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa, when I first read this I read something to the extent of "Bank forcloseses on First National Building." A Fruedian slip, eh? lol Nothing would surprise me in Michigan these days, though.

The reason this makes sense (at least from the choice of location perspective) is because they were in Campus Martius meaning exposure.

(Message edited by lmichigan on June 23, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 891
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it strictly aimed at that bank and building, or all the banks in the Financial District in general?

Strange.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

National City has large offices in both the First National Building and in the former MichCon building on Jefferson

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2565
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess they couldn't afford the trip to each and every bank headquarters in Troy, so they decided just to protest in the centrally located *former* financial district.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you remain oblivious

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 887
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they should have flown to houston to piss off Comerica over there. No sense in making them feel LESS welcome in Detroit.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2578
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dallas Andylinn, Dallas. :-)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope Bush vetoes this crap of a taxpayer bailout.
http://www.detroitnews.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200806 25/POLITICS/806250363/1001/BIZ
I wonder how much Sen. Dodd was given by countrywide et al to write this piece of trash.

They want taxpayers to bail out their problems (and the banks) as usual.

They probably don't have jobs, they have time to protest about risky loans they probably shouldn't have received in the first place.

Stupid.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.