Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Arab festival in Dearborn « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 814
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I arrived late on the last day which was yesterday. Had time to enjoy some of the musical performers.Great rythym. Seen a lot of Lebanese flags. A female performer got the most enthusiastic response from the audience. Must be a superstar in the Middle East. I should have sampled food from the many food and smoothie booths, but opted to eat at my favorite Lebanese spot, Cedarland restaurant on Warren Avenue several blocks west of Schafer. Noticed a middle age Anglo couple with a small boy in a booth reacting negatively to a Middle Eastern girl walking by with a Lebanese flag. Thats one of the prices we pay for living in a supposedly free society: not everyone is going to be super patriotic and refuse to stop displaying symbols of their heritage. Anyways, wish I would have went Friday night and arrived earlier on Sunday since I couldn't make it on Saturday. Would have been interesting to see traditional dances and costumes. There were lots of carnival rides, game booths and a face painting tent for kids.I ran into an aquaintance but went by myself. Would be a great festival to bring a date or kids. There weren't too many cops but lots of security,seemingly more than was needed. Didnt notice any drunkeness or buffoonery, just a mild scuffle between security and a man who was trying to retrieve a flag that got tossed toward the stage. Allin all it was a great time!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 885
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, you should have mentioned you would be there. We could have met up, if only for a minute.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Didnt notice any drunkeness or buffoonery, just a mild scuffle between security and a man who was trying to retrieve a flag that got tossed toward the stage

Give me the Guess Who. They got the courage to be drunken buffoons, which makes them poetic.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 817
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would have liked that very much Sean. You were there Sunday night? I was the good looking guy with the hat, stylish jeans,Italian polo shirt and brown suede shoes.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 893
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there for a few on Sunday, but I could've made that at any time if I knew beforehand.

I used to go to everything around here. From little fairs in the suburbs to bigger events in the cities. The past couple years I've been busy a lot, and unable to go to a ton of them. But, I still make it to a lot of them too. If I have people to go with or meet up there (more than just me and The Girly, or me and my roommate... one of them is almost always with me) I will usually find a way to go. Even if it's just for a quick drink.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.