Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Freedom Fireworks Picnic » Archive through June 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 605
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's get a jump on this early.

Monday June 23rd, 2008

Would another small gathering be okay for the fireworks? People, places, times, and locations?

I will be street vending so I'll be around, but not able to be in one spot the entire day. So I need help from others to keep this going (if there is enough interest).

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea. Are any of the Riverwalk parks suitable for this? I may be able to get there early to help stake out a gathering spot for Forumers.
I will always be committed on Memorial Day Weekends, so will never be able to attend the FSC Picnic. Thanks to Kathleen and Dave for the work they do to make it happen - I really wanted to be there.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 448
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am all for it. Lets make this happen.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 775
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres a practical idea; lets do it on the Canadian side. It will be cleaner and safer; the law enforcement on average, generally speaking are fewer and far between, much less authoritarian than American cops; there is much more acceptance of 'alternative' lifestyles, gay-interacial couples etc. The whole mood and vibe is a trillion times better. There are barely any annoying agressive vagrants; entering Canada, even on a busy freedom fireworks day is much less complex and simpler without all the unnecessary disrespect(it is going to take longer to get back into the states unless you leave a little early.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Are you serious? :-|

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO WAY! It's not easy for everyone to get around, much less across borders, and some people don't have proper ID. Here, you can hop on any number of busses to get downtown and back again. The whole gist of this forum is Detroit so I think it'd be best to do it somewhere over here. It's all together easier and Detroit is a great place to be, anyway. Absolutely no reason to take things elsewhere!

(Message edited by alley on May 31, 2008)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mistress is an omnisexual wolf who dabbles in santeria and enjoys dressing up as a sheep, but she wouldn't think of drinking any beer (or ale, lager, pilsner, whatever) not brewed & bottled by LaBatt's. Will the Canadians be cool with us?

Terryh

Post Number: 776
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you guys ever been to Canada? Ever dated across racial lines? Yes you will be accepted Ravine. Both you and youre omnisexual. Went there two years ago with a black lady, comfortable holding hands, lesbian daughter was holding her girlfriends hands, Americans(I noticed the licence plates) practically hanging out of the windows gaping and gawking in shock(why bring that too a nice country like Canada)MIND YOURE OWN BUSINESS LIVE AND LET LIVE! I booed,to the annoyance of my date, when the American flag was flown by, but I just COULD NOT resist.Ive never witnessed this, but Ive heard stories of individuals smoking joints in front of cops, some Canadian cops commented they smelled weed at the SARS music festival, didnt seem to care. Canada is a great country.HUGE MAJOR FIRST CLASS DIFFERENCE.! Canada is not the utopia many Americans think it is, but compareatively speaking in many respects it is a much better place to party and visit.
Canadian blacks arent as disagreeable and racist as American blacks.lol! Canadian whites and blacks speak with the same accent. ay!

Terryh

Post Number: 777
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and if you are a sexually frustrated male and or want a cheap thrill, one can visit one of many massage parlors, massage a half naked woman, and get BEAT OFF. IT BEATS BEATING YOURSELF OFF!

Ravine

Post Number: 2319
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Especially if a half-naked brown sugar beet is involved.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is ridiculous...all of it. Where are all these Americans that consider Canada utopia? And WHY IN THE HELL are you celebrating the 4th of July by watching the fireworks if you have enough contempt for the USA to boo when the flag is being flown? You are confused!

Terryh

Post Number: 780
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats right. Set up a blanket and some lawn chairs, take the time, Im very serious as I write this, GO TO THE CANADIAN SIDE! try it just once.

Ravine

Post Number: 2320
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, you're O.K. with me, and I'm not trying to dog you out, but I think it is safe for me to say that there probably is a whole lot of stuff, which you go for, that many of us are not planning on trying, not even once...

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 400
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great... Boo our flag when you're in Canada... Why don't you try booing it on this side of the river?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 611
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Windsor, but would not be able to attend if it is over there. I'll be street vending on the Detroit side, and will not have time to go across the border to visit. If you'd like, start another thread for an event on the Windsor side, maybe we can wave to each other across the river. LOL, bring a white board and binoculars.... we can wright each other notes....:-)

So does anyone have any suggestions for spots on the Detroit side. Near the Ren Cen might be nice if anyone would be bringing kids. Ya know the fountain and all, and it's also not far from the carousel, food courts, concessions, and Hart Plaza.

Belle Isle might work as well, never watched them from there before. The bench area is facing the wrong way, correct?

I'm thinking near the Ren Cen would be good as long as no special events are going on in the area. Not sure what exact spot though. I'm thinking here because it's near a People Mover stop, and the sky walk is often open even after the roads and crosswalks are closed. So if anyone is running late, they could still manage to get there. It just seems most convenient.

How does this sound to everyone? Maybe a few blankets and chairs? I can bring some, but you guys will have to baby sit them for me. Can anyone else bring some more?

Does that sound good to everyone? I am open to moving the spot. But lets pick one.

Whats next?

:-)

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 454
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That will be a great spot if someone gets there early enough.

Terryh

Post Number: 781
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol @Sean. Glad you are good natured and not uptight like many of my countrymen. I wouldn't boo from this side, shark, the same reason I won't go to a ball game and refuse to stand for the national anthem (wont go to a ball game to avoid this problem) because I know it will be a problem. Some 'freedom loving' drunk will take issue with my rebellion and not want to leave it alone.
Youre o.k. with me Ravine.

Terryh

Post Number: 782
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did you get the smiley face in the post at the end Sean? Hope you have a nice time at the picnic without any hassles.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 614
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You manually type them ":" then ")" or "(" right next to each other.

I'm not sure of the other ones.

So : ) is :-) I just put a space in between (space bar) the ":" and the ")" so it didn't turn it into a face. Without the space it makes a face. A frown is the other one : ( makes :-(

Again, without a space in between the symbols

Most instant or personnel messaging systems, as well as texting devices and a few E-mail programs automatically convert them now. It is something that became popular in the beginnings of the Internet and AOL.

Does anyone know how to do the other ones? Is there a conversion table showing the keys out there?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 615
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry.... LOL!

The fiancee and I went to a Tigers game last year, and she was fidgeting with her Hot Dog during the anthem and had to sit down. People started to actually throw things at her and yell and stuff. I couldn't believe it. She didn't mean it, she was about to spill her food!

Now she does it just to piss people off. She's a true rebel she is. LOL, she's a good girl though, and loves her country as much as everyone else... just not all the people running it all the time... and not all the people that take life to seriously (some people need to lighten up... I have to agree with her). Patriotics good, but some need to lighten up just a little.

:-)

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I probably will be elsewhere, but a good place for a fireworks picnic would be the "mound" just west of Tricentennial State Park. There were a lot of people up there for the Red Bull Air Races, picnicking, even grilling. There would be a good view of the fireworks. Personally I like to be close enough so you can feel the fireworks, not just see and hear them. But this spot would be great if you don't care about that.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 672
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres, You have any ideas??

CALLING RES.

(Message edited by django on June 02, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 672
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:::BUMP:::

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 759
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:::DOUBLE BUMP:::

So behind the Ren Cen. That is our spot?

I'll bring some blankets and chairs, but I really need help watching them.

Django

Post Number: 941
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mentioned on another thread that plymouthres has a told me Fort Wayne is a great place to watch the fireworks. Im not sure if thats an open invitation though. I usually go to a rooftop on Brooklyn, downtown is way to crowded for me. Does it have to be behind the Ren Cen?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 761
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope!

Okay, Fort Wayne then?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 598
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Django, but I've been off-grid for a couple of days and just now saw this.

Yes, you are able to see the fireworks from the Fort on Fireworks Night and this year there has been a special effort to rid the areas that we usually watch from of the vegetation that has prevented us from seeing them better in years past. You and everyone here are welcome to come down and spend the evening viewing them from the safety of Fort Wayne.

With as much as the DetriotYes community has committed and contributed to at Fort Wayne, all are certainly welcome!

I hope this isn't too cliche, but the fireworks and the Fort have a special place in my minds eye as when I view the 'works from the scarp(ramparts) of the Fort, I am reminded of the lines that Francis Scott Key wrote so eloquently as to his witness of the bombing of Fort McHenry in 1814 by the British.

Typically, the Pledge of Allegiance is said before the raising of the colors (Flag) at the Fort for any function that we hold there. Fireworks night is no exception to this long standing policy.

I will respectfully warn anyone who does not have enough respect for this country that they live in or the men and women who sacrificed themselves for the symbol that they felt most important to protect (i.e. our Flag and the Pledge of Allegiance) not come and embarrass themselves by what may happen to them for showing such insolence at such an important and historic military site.

Please do not take what I said above out of context as I meant to say exactly what I said and nothing more. You have every right to believe what you wish, but the Fort (being a Fort) has its traditions and they will be strictly kept.

Aside from that, please feel free to come out and check out the fireworks.

If anyone is interested, we are having a workday this Saturday, June 21. Please try to come out and help us as we will be addressing some of the work that needs to be done before we have our party for the 'on the 25th. We could use all the help we can get! :-)

I can make some signs to direct people to the DetroitYes area if you would like. Please let me know so I can set up the guards, too.

Django

Post Number: 950
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CRAP, I just googled the fireworks and its on Monday June 23rd, Ill be up north. I was really lookin foward to trying out Fort Wayne this year.

Pcasey
Username: Pcasey

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump! Is this still on for next week?

Hey TerryH--what time's the picnic/orgy over in Windsor?

Pcasey
Username: Pcasey

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump. who's going where? Fort Wayne? RenCen? omnisexual/multiracial Windsor sex clubs?

Terry-HO!