Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Royal Oak - 696/Woodward/Main Vacant Land « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtwflyer
Username: Dtwflyer

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the story about that large area of vacant land at Woodward/10 Mile/696/ and Main?

What was there in years prior?
What was supposed to have been build there?
What might be built there?

I can't believe such a large pacel in that area wasn't built on during the go-go 90's.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2595
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard something (at one point) about a Lifestyle or Fitness Center going there.

Due to the economy I assume the plan was tossed out.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is the development you're talking about:

http://www.metromodemedia.com/ devnews/ROGateway0034.aspx

In this case, it had little to do with the economy, but rather the (lack of) quality of the proposed development.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! Let's go to Royal Oak to see the new parking lot and powerhouse gym!

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When work started on 696, Matthews Hargreaves Chevrolet was forced to sell that property and move, eminent domain. etc.

The land was 'needed for access', however not long afterwards Royal Oak solicited bids to develop that property they 'acquired'.

Meanwhile, Matthews Hargreaves relocated to a 'temporary site' (where they stayed). Lawsuits from other dealers about territories kept their location quite temporary until settled. They used trailers for showroom and offices, and nearby warehouses were improvised to be the garage.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was supposed to have been a hotel built there but the plans fell through.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8278
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still appalled at Hargreaves Chevrolet for that faux clock tower they put up years ago on Woodward & Harrison. I still remember how they pitched it as being an icon for the area. Instead it's one huge glowing & blinking billboard for the dealership.

Admittedly it's probably just a smidge better than the massage parlor that had been there for years

Richie
Username: Richie

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Royal Oak becoming to be the home of architectural eyesores I'm not sure I want to see anything built there. And what is with that hideous tower on Washington? How did that thing ever get approved????

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I'm getting my streets mixed up, but wasn't Matthews Hargreaves on the corner of Washington and Woodward (south side)? Or was that a Ford dealership I'm thinking of?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, that's Jim Fresard Pontiac that put up the clock tower.

Anyway, The LA Fitness is still going to be built but moved to one side of the property. The City of Royal Oak reached a comprimise with the developer this week to swap land on Washington just North of the vacant land to build the LA Fitness. That will leave most of the Eastern half of the property cavant for a parking structure and hotel to be built later.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, that's Jim Fresard Pontiac that put up the clock tower.

Anyway, The LA Fitness is still going to be built but moved to one side of the property. The City of Royal Oak reached a comprimise with the developer this week to swap land on Washington just North of the vacant land to build the LA Fitness. That will leave most of the Eastern half of the property cavant for a parking structure and hotel to be built later.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7326
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That land is owned by Schostak.

Their Web site still reflects the original plans for the site (multi-use office/hotel/retail). Much has happened since then, however.

http://www.schostak.com/develo pments/

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8281
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the correction there Crew. I knew it was one car dealership or another that put up that monolithic eye sore. My apologies to Hargreaves then.

Dtwflyer
Username: Dtwflyer

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting history on the area, thanks.

I sort of remember them building 696 through the area, when I was younger. I just remember seeing all the construction and digging the huge trench for the Woodward underpass there and that corner being leveled back in the late 80's.

Those new condo/loft (I know they aren't real lofts) buildings don't seem to fit, but I guess RO officials will approve anything. Of course its better than nothing.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City regains control of gateway site

A gym wasn't quite what the city had in mind for that prime piece of land at the corner of Main Street and I-696, so the city has taken the property back.

City commissioners voted unanimously last week to regain ownership of the four-acre parcel known as "Gateway Plaza" from Schostak Brothers and Company development firm, which had owned it since 2003. In exchange, the city will give the company a parcel of property at Woodward and Washington to build an L.A. Fitness center.

More details at:
http://www.hometownlife.com/ap ps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080 622/NEWS18/806220333/1035

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7330
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's refreshing to see a city in SE Michigan draw a line in the sand in regards to zoning and development. Finally long term development strategy trumps short term financial gain.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R.O. has had numerous plans fall through with this property starting with the first one which called for a hotel and convention center in 1988/89. City government in R.O. is not very adept at landing the big projects as Oakland Mall planners were considering 13/Woodward in the early sixties but were chased off. The booming 90's did not bring any large projects either-only restaurants and bars replacing retailers and few 2/3 story condos. The few large, heavily vacant, new condo("loft") towers were built in the 03-06 era. Several other national developers who wanted to build 20-30 story buildings were turned away 1997-02.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royal Oak is a textbook example of urban planning run amok. Dollars seem to trump quality of life in these matters

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 591
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pythonmaster, can you elaborate?

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree about that new tower on Washington. It's appalling! At street level you are confronted with an anti-urban, fortress-like garage wall, while the sidewalk retail is off on the side. Above you is a prison-like concrete slab with little fenestration and no detail. And these are high priced condos? It's an absolute blight. The new condos on Main near the Theater all look quite nice and are sidewalk friendly.

Runningman
Username: Runningman

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a lifelong RO resident, we are forlorn about the Fifth building (...anti-urban, fortress-like...quotation from Fho - RIGHT on the money).

It is just awful to view. Shoeboxes stacked on top of one another with lousy materials, and hardly any windows. The same developers (Hanna group) also own historic Washington Square just down the street (Goodnight Gracie's is there, train station also abuts), which is exquisite in its details and in sharp contrast to the Fifth.

Ahh...more BIC lighter architectural garbage in my hometown, approved by most of the people on the commission now...nobody builds anything of significance any longer...

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the contrast of modern architecture is welcome in Royal Oak. I would like to see more variety within the inner ring suburbs. It's also nearly sold out...so someone is willing to buy the condos.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the contrast of modern architecture is welcome in Royal Oak. I would like to see more variety within the inner ring suburbs. It's also nearly sold out...so someone is willing to buy the condos.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7085
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... ah yes but those condo owners get to see a nice view... of everything but their own building! :-(

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2588
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. "When work started on 696, Matthews Hargreaves Chevrolet was forced to sell that property and move, eminent domain. etc."

2. "The land was 'needed for access', however not long afterwards Royal Oak solicited bids to develop that property they 'acquired'."

3. "That land is owned by Schostak."

4. "Their Web site still reflects the original plans for the site (multi-use office/hotel/retail). Much has happened since then, however."

5. "...The LA Fitness is still going to be built but moved to one side of the property."

This sequence of events (presumably the City had a competition for the best use of land and Schostak won it based on their original plan), is typically how most cities do this sort of thing with city owned property that they are selling. It's very applaudable.

"Royal Oak is a textbook example of urban planning run amok. Dollars seem to trump quality of life in these matters."

Royal Oak still has essentially an obligation to make certain that the development of this site goes well--it is the entrance to the city. A suburban type parking lot is not really what the majority of the city is about. This site really should be the pinnacle of the city.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For clarification, M-DOT originally bought the land from Matthews-Hargreaves, and the sale was recorded on 1/17/86. Source: http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi. us/public/ROWFiles/index.cfm (click on Oakland County, I-696 maps, sheet 303)

My guess is that M-DOT sold the parcel to Royal Oak no later than the early '90s. Sales of land not needed are recorded on M-DOT's right of way maps, although sheet 303 needs revision if in fact Royal Oak bought the parcel in question from M-DOT.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.