Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Suburban blight » Archive through June 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3228
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has this been posted yet?

Cities face high costs of foreclosed eyesores

quote:

As metro Detroit's foreclosure crisis has continued to press into some of the region's toniest neighborhoods, it is creating a new set of problems, turning former selling points -- such as swimming pools and elaborate gardens -- into growing nuisances.
Advertisement

Now, these cities and townships, many of which have only sparingly dealt with such issues in the past, are forced to create new policies and spend more time and money fixing up thousands of properties left in limbo by foreclosure.

From draining or occasionally demolishing skanky pools to cutting down dangerous trees, crews are working overtime to keep neighborhoods looking good and property values stable.

Some go so far as nailing decorative sheeting facades over plywood to mask the boarded-up doors and windows and keep out squatters or criminals.

They bill owners for the work or place liens on the property in a process known as "clean and lien," but collection isn't easy and neighbors remain antsy.

"It's awful," said Linda Gold as she pointed across the street from her West Bloomfield home at an empty house that has an open pool in the backyard partially full of coffee-colored water. "When we moved into this house 27 years ago, this was a beautiful neighborhood."...

It sounds eerily similar to what inner-city neighborhoods have dealt with for decades...

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 755
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

won't someone please think about the suburbs!

that's about what i get from this.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2272
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone needs to come up with a way to make it win-win for the lenders AND for the homeowners for the sake of the community at large, wherever the community is. And yes, flight blight has happened since the 60s, at least, in neighborhood after neighborhood in Detroit.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on June 23, 2008)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It sounds eerily similar to what inner-city neighborhoods have dealt with for decades...

Not really. At least the suburbs mentioned here aren't leaving it up to the residents of the affected neighborhoods to deal with on their own. The lesson-learned is that if a municipality lets creeping blight go unattended, it quickly gets out of hand and beyond the scope of government to deal with.

Mclark
Username: Mclark

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I moved into the Dearborn Heights neighborhood I live in now (about a year and a half ago) I noticed 2 or 3 boarded up houses. They are all occupied now. The lots were being maintained by neighbors while empty and never really got out of hand. Part of me can't help but laugh when someone from West Bloomfield complains about an empty house, but I'm sure wouldn't dare put forth the effort to cut the lawn or maybe even try to clean up the pool. There are bound to be empty houses in every city these days, but a little extra effort can minimize the effect on the rest of the neighborhood... at least in areas that aren't being hit too hard by copper thieves, squatters, etc.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6768
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder jjaba can't get his pool guy to come out. They're all doing re-po service work.

jjaba, on the Westside.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 545
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those poor, poor Bloomies.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite thing in that article is how Dearborn is using a boarding up method that is designed to not look boarded up. Kind of reminds me of the awnings on the abandoned high-rises in downtown Detroit a few years back...

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2570
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ ... or the "windows" put on vacant buildings in the South Bronx years ago ...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5027
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townships like W. Bloomfield are huge, and when more and more of those plain, midcentury homes no longer in demand go vacant, and their pools get dirty and mosquito ridden (so sorry to hear that your neighborhood is not as beautiful as 27 years ago because the pool is dirty), it's gonna be hard for even the most responsible municipality to keep up. Expect suburban blight to become common in undistinctive places that are no longer in demand.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep forums hate the city, and I'm beginning to think the DetroitYES forums hate the suburbs.

What's happening in this article is a problem that nobody is immune from. I don't think anybody was prepared for the foreclosure crisis. At this point it's a lose-lose for everyone, and I just can't understand why more steps haven't been taken to provide assistance to homeowners; nobody wins when a house is foreclosed upon. I am really, really thankful I opted for the fixed rate. I was on the fence and nearly opted for the adjustable rate, which could have very well broken me if the payment doubled.

Mackinaw - to each their own; who are you to judge what is and is not in demand? I live in a neighborhood of "those plain, midcentury homes" that somehow or another remain occupied. West Bloomfield remains an attractive community for many reasons beyond the vintage of the brick.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Large numbers of foreclosed/vacant houses are now showing up everywhere. All the municipalities mentioned in the article seem to be addressing the issue. It's a problem but they are taking care of it.

That's what I got out the article.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 893
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These homes in the suburbs are not empty because people are fleeing. It just has to do with economic issues at the moment, and when things get better, they will fill up again. This is totally different from the white flight Detroit had.

Wazootyman, one could say that it is fine that more steps have not been taken to provide assistance to homeowners. Should the government be getting people out of a mess they got themselves into knowing they could not afford these homes?

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, didn't you hear, mid-century modern is IN!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People may not be fleeing now, but wait until the neighborhoods really start going down. Move in a few people who don't have the same perception of what looks OK, and who may not have the wherewithal to put as much into upkeep, add in some deteriorating empty houses, and flight could very well happen as the people who equate their status with the condition and stylishness of their neighborhood cut their losses and head for greener pastures.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the neighborhoods will fill up again, some of them won't--there aren't enough people to fill them all up, and some people will flee what they think is a sinking ship.

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mike toronto,how long will it be before things get better again? with alot of job losses,people are moving out of michigan,can't afford their homes.i see homes for sell often in detroit. if the homes empty out fast enough in neighborhoods it may be hard to upkeep all those homes,like what happened during the 'white flight' in detroit.maybe poorer people will rent the homes out,and renters usually aren't long term residents,and don't take as good care of the home as owners do.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think i might have driven some folks outta Wayne. well maybe not, Wayne for the most part keeps up on stuff, But everytime i look i seem to find another house that i didn,t know was empty.Jjaba looks like you gotta do what i gotta do clean the pool, gotta find the leak first, but just found out my dog likes the pool.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 889
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of landlords I know in Detroit and elsewhere offer discounts in rent based on the amount of work, upkeep, and money their renters put in. This seems to work pretty well for everyone.

Those are some of the best kept rentals I have ever seen. Of course, it means the landlord must be willing to take cuts in rent. It usually seems to pay off once it comes time to find new renters though.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3229
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know these type of things don't affect Metro Detroit...

MSNBC: Foreclosure Fallout

...except maybe for the neighborhood in South Lyon mentioned in the article.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 896
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still don't think it is that big a deal. When it comes down to it, the majority of Metro Detroit residents still have jobs, and you are not just going to see a million people flee or something. The economy has hit a bump. It will revive, and things will change. But I really don't think Bloomfield Hills will sit empty anytime soon. :-)

Mwilbert

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would characterize it as more than a bump. The domestic auto industry is imploding and there is a good chance that GM North America and Chrysler will go into bankruptcy within a year. This is not just part of a normal economic cycle.

We aren't likely to see a million flee, or see Bloomfield Hills empty either. But there are probably 300,000 unemployed (U-3) and perhaps 500,000 including the underemployed (U-6) in the region and I won't be surprised if eventually a lot of those people leave, and that is going to leave some additional empty housing someplace.

Some of it will be in Detroit, and some of it won't.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3234
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I still don't think it is that big a deal. When it comes down to it, the majority of Metro Detroit residents still have jobs, and you are not just going to see a million people flee or something. The economy has hit a bump. It will revive, and things will change. But I really don't think Bloomfield Hills will sit empty anytime soon.

Mmkay. I think Metro Detroit will easily have lost a couple hundred thousand by the 2010 census.

Wazootyman

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wazootyman, one could say that it is fine that more steps have not been taken to provide assistance to homeowners. Should the government be getting people out of a mess they got themselves into knowing they could not afford these homes?

I would normally agree, but it has gotten to the point where the poor decisions of both the lenders and the lendees are severely affecting entire communities, in which majorities did not make such bad choices. It seems like somebody needs to do something - beyond issuing a one-time "stimulus check".

Miketoronto - We'd prefer to forecast the doom and gloom scenario in which half of the population leaves, or goes unemployed. Feasible? I wouldn't think so, but this region just might will it into happening if we really try hard.

I would place Ford and Chrysler ahead of GM in a worst-case line-up. But, I think ultimately all three will weather the storm. GM in particular has a solid line-up of high fuel economy vehicles that can compete with anyone. Now, if only we could convince the country to stop defaulting to imports.

I feel like if we lose the domestic auto industry, the country as a whole is in a hell of a lot more trouble than they realize. A few foreign-based auto plants down south won't even come close to making up for the losses.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new report shows that gas prices have led to problems in distant suburbs. Main points:
1) The exurbs farthest from the city center have shown the biggest drop in property values. This is across the US.
2) Metro regions with the most vital central city have shown a smaller drop in value.
3) The US average is just over a 15% drop over the last year. The charts show that Metro Detroit is just about at average.

It IS about gas prices and overall sustainability, not ENTIRELY about the auto industry, although we all know that the industry's decline has had enormous impact here.

Here's a link to a video about the main points of the report: http://ceosforcities.blip.tv/f ile/894022/

Here's the full report:
http://www.ceosforcities.org/n ewsroom/pr/files/Driven%20to%2 0the%20Brink%20FINAL.pdf

Wazootyman

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mmkay. I think Metro Detroit will easily have lost a couple hundred thousand by the 2010 census.

SEMCOG believes the seven-county regional population will be 4,859,300 by 2010 - a gain of 25,932 since the 2000 census. Estimates for 2005 place the population at 4,891,039 - a gain of 57,671 over 2000, resulting in an estimated drop of 31,739 by 2010.

http://library.semcog.org/Inma gicGenie/DocumentFolder/2035SE MCOGForecast.pdf

Ultimately, for what you're saying to be correct (assuming you mean loss between official census counts), the SEMCOG estimate would have to be off by almost 226,000 people.

I think we'd already notice the trend if the difference were that severe.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2580
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait until the boomers "move on", then you'll notice a slight dip in the population. :-)

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7174
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parkguy - basically the report you quoted says that housing prices have held up best in areas with a stronger urban center. Wow, what a revelation! I totally agree the weakness of Detroit is having an effect on the entire Southeastern Michigan area.

In regard to falling values, new suburban homes had the furthest to fall, as developers were selling homes in the $400k plus range in many of these areas. A correction was bound to happen. Detroit home values tanked years ago, so they don't have much room to fall, hardly anything to brag about.

Mwilbert

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SEMCOG is almost certainly too high--their employment forecast was too high, and that affected their population forecast.

In another thread I predicted the 2010 population will show up at less than 4.8 million, but I think 4.6 million is too low for 2010 unless things get a lot worse quickly. Population loss should lag employment loss.