Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Bicycle Repair Shop In Cass Corridor? Where? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2405
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A co-worker heard about a bike-repair shop supposedly located in the Cass Corridor. She would like to know, more specifically, where it is. A little help? Thanks.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5197
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/the-hub13308.aspx

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just north of Martin Luther King on Cass. West side. Very non-descript storefront. No windows (other than glass bricks) and a sign over a single steel door.

HUGE selection of bikes in their warehouse upstairs. They are all used bikes, but the guy I talked with, Ben, was really cool. And they'll do some work on it. Great way to get a new (used bike) on the cheap. They also, obviously, do repairs.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went in there for the first time the other day. The guy said that the warehouse was not close by and the bikes that were for sale were on a 3 week back order. I think it was his first day. Cool place though. I put my name in for one.....

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The warehouse was upstairs, in the same building, through some twisted hallways and twisted spaces.

They were mostly bikes that were donated, and some were in rough shape. Maybe the guy you spoke with was talking about new bikes being on backorder? Dunno. I took a few pictures of the warehouse when they took me up there. It was quite a sight.

Ben, the guy I talked with, also told me that they weren't quite ready for retail just yet, so that's another possibility.

Wabashdetroit
Username: Wabashdetroit

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had my bike tuned up at the Wheelhouse Detroit, at Rivard Plaza on the Detroit RiverWalk.

Their bike tech is some sort of a genius. My bike didn't ride this well when I first bought it.

Check them out for service. Strong recommend...

Ben
Username: Ben

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

I've been working with Back Alley Bikes, now The Hub of Detroit, for four years. Great to see people have found our new shop!

We opened the retail shop in March as a fundraiser for our youth education programming. It's been a very busy summer so far, and we're still getting our business figured out as far as staffing.

We haven't been able to staff enough mechanics to build up bikes, as well as do repairs, so we've decided to prioritize repair over selling bicycles at this point.

During our first few weeks of business, we quickly sold out of our pre-built bicycles. We do have a warehouse full of bikes, but we will only sell them if they have been rebuilt and checked over by two mechanics.

In any case, we have space for about 5-10 custom builds a week, so if you want something special, please stop by!

http://thehubofdetroit.org/

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13140
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, tuneup is at going rate there, too, so if they've got a phenom behind the counter it is well worth it. Thanks for the feedback, Wabash. I think KBKav and her partner have done a fantastic job with that shop. Power to 'em!

I ran into one of the fellows from the Hub/BackAlley at the bank downtown, riding his WDET-bedecked single-gear, and he seems like a great guy...I've heard nothing but stellar reviews over their repairs, too.

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, yeah both good places. My friend Ron is the mechanic at Wheel House and, yes, he's very knowledgeable.

Thanks to Ben of the Hub for droppin in to spread the word!

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ben,

I put my name in for a bike the other day. Is it possible to have you guys strip it down, Have myself paint it, and then have you guys put it together?

I saw the bike that got stolen not too long ago, and it was a beaut. I want one

Ben
Username: Ben

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiterbychoice, that's totally possible. What bike is it? You can email me at ben at thehubofdetroit.org

We'll give you the lowdown on painting technique/what to be careful about masking/etc, too, if you'd like.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thanks to all of you for your swift, and informative, responses, with a special nod to Ben for dropping in to make a "straight from the horse's mouth" comment.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.