Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Creative Cities Summit 2.0 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Creative Cities Summit 2.0 Coming to Detroit
October 12-15, 2008
http://creativecitiessummit.co m

Join us for a three-day exploration of best practices in urban revitalization with Creative Class experts and enthusiasts. Creative Cities Summit, first held in St. Petersburg, Florida in 2004, comes to Detroit because it stands as a metaphor and an inspiration to cities shaped by the industrial revolution that now look forward to a new, vibrant creative economy rooted in knowledge, talent and creativity.

CCS2 will present a dynamic and engaging conversation about how communities around the world are integrating innovation, social entrepreneurship, sustainability, arts & culture and business to create vibrant economies.

Attendees will take part in exploring innovation in:

Developing entrepreneurship & talent
Creating a dynamic sense of place
Encouraging diversity of thinking and of being
Establishing green and sustainable communities

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they going to pony up any money for Tiger Stadium? If not, they don't sound like they have any business talking about creative cities.

blah,blah,blah...go green...blah,blah,blah...pract ice yoga....blah,blah... .blah,blah...

and then they all jump into their suv hummer's and head straight out to Wal-mart to do their shopping.

Walk the walk people, i'm sick of your talk.

If they had any sense, they'd book the conference IN Tiger Stadium, proudly displaying any adaptive reuse's proposals people can think of (open air farmers market, green space on the upper deck, ground floor retail...whaddev)

Thanks for the post Gingellgirl, i've been wondering what creative cities was aboot (i'm not really canadian).

(Message edited by jb3 on June 27, 2008)

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 456
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jb3 how does this relate to tiger stadium?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 909
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow... where does the bitterness come from, Jb3? Sounds like more that "f-u" attitude that has served our region oh so well.

Jb3

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mdoyle, if you have to ask, i sincerely doubt you'd understand.

DigVis, not bitter. Let me put it this way...YAY for Creative Cities in Detroit! It is actually an amazing thing, regardless of what is might say here. I just WANT MORE!

Battle lines have been drawn my friend. We are in a new era of ethical accountability. Responsible practices and ethics are the new market drivers. If Detroit thinks it has the stuff to call itself a creative city, then it better start acting the part. If i were of the 'f-u' crowd i wouldn't care how this city tears itself apart. I'm not saying 'f-u', i'm saying, 'you want my support, then earn it'.

at $250 a pop for early birders, this event has the makings of nothing more than a social networking opportunity for those with the cash. the slick dick real estate professionals will attend and then talk about it for the next twenty years with their co workers to try and prove how enlightened they are, while 100% investing in post WWII development patterns. The politicians will attend and talk about it at focus groups within the community so they can pretend they have their thumb on the pulse of the new economy. The small business owners will attend and they actually might learn something. But i want more than them to learn something to contemplate progressing towards. I want them to be overwhelmed by the creative class and how that relates to a vibrant economy. I want them unquestionably to change everything about their business practices in order to capitalize on what we want. On how we want to live! The creative class is not about talk, it's about actions. What actions will define this conference? That is the question i want answered. And it better be good.

Do you actually think that this response to San Fran's blow out of the 'eco-city world summit' has the potential for any sort of impact for the communities it is meant to help? granted the san fran event was pricey, but it at least blew the hell out of any box you or i could think of.

I absolutely commend the effort put into this and the speakers brought to the table (Doug Farr, Charles Landry, Dr. Holzheimer, Jason Huvaere...yay!) for this event, but i want more! I want the creative class to have a voice! (the unconference sounds intriguing, wish i knew more) and the opportunity to be able to listen. Do you actually think that some poor graphic artist or techno-musician would pay $250 to learn how to 'market' themselves. Gimme a break, they know how to do it better than the experts. The so called experts are all scrambling right now trying to come to grips with guerrilla marketing campaigns, viral marketing...etc. They should be listening to us, showcasing us. I don't want to hear these people speak, i want us to show these people how it's done. Then we can have a conversation, until then, it's all hyperbole.

BTW, When was the last time Cobo Hall turned off it's escalators? It'll take more than $10/registration to offset that carbon hog.

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd think the so-called creative class could find a copy editor in their ranks somewhere.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 911
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well now that you explain more, I get where you're coming from.

Interestingly, as much as people talk about supporting "creative cities," study after study I see shows that companies still spend the money on the companies closest to them and where they feel the most "comfortable."

I think Richard Florida is great for a section of people, but the "Creative Class" stuff completely glosses over the underlying issues facing depressed areas. You've gotta get to a certain point before you can put his recommendations into practice. But those topics aren't fun to talk about and not easy to get people to pay to go to.

The answer is not new coffeeshops, the answer is a business-friendly climate so the coffeeshop can open to serve the new businesses and residents around it. The number one rule about "cool" in marketing is the last thing you want to do is say you're cool... as you're automatically not at that point.

Now as to the marketing, I think it's really important, JB.

When you're trying attract the dollars from larger or mid-size businesses that are serious, a lot of creatives fail there because they don't know how to present themselves in a way conducive to selling or integrate with the culture or talk to the decisionmaker first.

Without marketing and sales, you don't have a business. And promoting yourself in a "creative" way and directly to businesses are very different things. I've seen lots of crap creative professionals make tons of money just because they invested the time in marketing and sales that resonates with their clientele. It's really not about your portfolio, it's about who you know and your network.

Jb3

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DigVis,

I get what you're saying about the marketing. Marketing is absolutely the end-all, be-all of most businesses. Whether it is simply word-of-mouth, or a full-on onslaught to infiltrate. My point is that while the 'creative class' definitely gravitates towards the new and the bold, the substance has to be there as well in most instances. The ethical responsibility has to be the No.1 driver of that companies mission.

Hence, my statement about 'battle lines' being drawn. Take for example the whole 'greenwash' phenomena that you hear people talking about. Companies are investing millions into marketing their products in creative ways that they feel will appeal to the shifting markets. 'Clean Coal' is the best example i can think of off-hand that has spent millions trying to sell itself as part of the ethical responsibility movement.

So, yes, marketing is the most important aspect of a companies ability to survive. But the question that the creative class will ask first, is 'does that company have a reason or the right to exist in the world we want to see?' The problem i have with seminar's like this, is not that they are bringing together forward thinkers to discuss changing markets and how to survive in those markets, but that these speakers are presenting to companies/ individuals that are simply trying to infiltrate a market segment that unequivocally does not want their product. So what ends up happening, is they end up marketing their product geared towards the creative class without ever asking themselves if they are being ethically responsible and if they have a system of accountability in place for their product. The end result is that the creative class continues to shun their product, but their sales go up because the uneducated consumer is duped into thinking the company is on the right path. It then becomes nothing more than a shine job and we are still in the same boat.

When i say i want more, i want companies to not simply feel good about themselves by driving up sales because they market to a crowd that would never buy their product or services in the first place. I want companies to fundamentally address the way they do business first. And then focus on marketing.

Take Interface inc. for example (http://www.interfaceinc.com/go als/vision.html). These are the types of ethics that the creative class is looking for.

If this seminar is meant to inform people about what a creative city is meant to be, then they better be on board with the program and truly understand what it is to be a 'creative city'.

The Carbon offset initiative is a good start, and without knowing the budget for the event, may be about the maximum that they can do. But if they seriously are considering hosting a 'summit' on creative cities, they need to go deeper. Way deeper. I'm not talking about money from the coffers, i'm talking about completely breaking down the entire system of how a conference is put together. Most event planners get an idea of how much square footage they need and then look for a location to suit that need. Typically they will find three or four and then it's a matter of cost to rent the space, done deal. Next comes the vendors, who will do what for us considering we are offering the opportunity for you to advertise, done deal. The speakers and agenda seem to be very well under control for this seminar. Then it's on to hotels and booking rooms, again, what boils down to the best cost, done deal...the list goes on to advertising and selling tickets, blah,blah.

Even referring to your point about the creatives not knowing how to break into a bigger market because of their inability to present themselves in a way conducive to the current culture. This is where the conundrum lies. We are beating our heads against the wall on this one, when we should be looking for ways around the wall.

The entire system needs to be reversed. Lets start backwards from the last line. The creatives trying to present themselves properly to a decisionmaker. In my mind, the creative has the power, he/she is the one that should be doing the interview. The question should be, is you're 'national' brand, a company i am comfortable doing business with. What are your ethics and responsibilities in regards to fair trade? what are your ethics and responsibilities for protecting our biggest investment, the planet? Where does your company operate or locate to? Is it conducive to, or worse, a driving factor of sprawl and increased supply chain distances? What are the ethics and responsibilities of the smaller companies that you represent? Are their products harmful to the environment?...etc.

We can skip advertising and ticket sales, let's move on to booking hotels. The question should not be, do you have the space for the right place at the right time. The question should be the same as those above. Do you participate in DTE's 'Green Currents' program? What are your ethics and responsibilities in regards to your suppliers? Are the products they provide harmful to the environment? What are your ethics and responsibilities in regards to trash/waste and disposable products? If these questions do not get the right answers...these hotels have no business being a part of this summit.

Let's move on to vendors. Same questions. Ethics and responsibilities. Where does your product come from? Is it within a 100 miles? Is you're product harmful to the environment? What are your ethics and standards regarding fair trade? What accountability do you take for your product at the end of its lifecycle?...etc.

Now let's move on to the venue. Typical convention centers are energy whores, hence my remark about cobo's escalators. If the event planners cannot find a 'typical' location that has ethics and responsibilities at the core of its being, than they will have to get creative. Wow, imagine that, a creative cities summit getting creative with their venue location. Mind blowing isn't it.

To make a long story short, i think your are spot-on with your comment about creating a conducive business environment. But the bigger questions need to be asked. Creatives will not locate to Detroit because the city does not care about it's people and it's own future. So yes, the creative class is in Detroit, but it is not something that corporate america has any idea of how to tap into. The creatives are creating their own economies on their own terms. This is where Detroit shines and this is why i say that the Creatives should have the voice here for this seminar. I'm not interested in hearing someone tell me how to adapt to a failing system on an ever shrinking planet. I want more. I want a summit that showcases the new economy. When the local franchise owner from subway's walks into the summit, i want him/her to be able to understand the implications of buying meat and vegetables from national supply chains that have no ethical responsibility or any accountability other than to the FDA. That is what i want.

I want a creative cities summit that understands the new economy and shakes these businesses to the core of their mission statement.

Peace.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they come up with a "creative" way of convincing people to take care of their property and stop committing crimes.

As for "Creating a dynamic sense of place", how much more dynamic can you get that street after street of abondoned/burnt out homes and vacant lots?

I guess the philosophy is "If we only 'think positively' about something, it will get better." I don't buy it. Maybe when people realize that there is no greater way to "practice urban revitalization" than by getting a little dirt under the nails instead of sipping tea, they'll start making a difference.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 952
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit,

Thinking positive is good, but I agree it's not the answer. Optimism needs to go hand in hand with action.

Jb3

Post Number: 395
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit,

I'm on board with ya. But that is the whole point of the creative class. These people exist solely to create. Positivity is the core of their mantra. You see vacant property and abandoned properties, they see opportunity for something different, something new, something responsible, something sustainable.

That's why i say it's an amazing thing to have this summit here. Regardless of my comments. I just want this thing to get the right message across. That message is that everyone looking to make money in the new economy should be bending over backwards for the creative class. They are the ones that will brave the new world of creating markets in under-served areas. They will be the ones to figure out how to help the communities they exist within. But they need help. They need investment dollars and venture capital. There exists 'green' venture capital out there now for those progressive enough to see where markets are heading.

Regardless of what currently exists in Detroit and regardless of who is in office, the creative class is rising in the city. This seminar (i hope) will be able to show people that they need to recognize the value of that investment. That's why it would be nice to have more of our Detroit creatives in line to have a voice. To get out what it is that they need to continue on the path they know is right and profitable.

It's nice to have these theorists talk about what a creative city would look like, but i'd like to hear from those in the trenches as well.

Model D has been doing an amazing job of capturing the essence of these people and in telling their story. Crains Detroit business just launched it's new website http://www.detroitmakeithere.c om/

check em out. Trust me, the creatives in detroit understand the problems we have, and they are working like mad dogs to sort them out. I just doubt that they would want their blood, sweat and tears to go unnoticed or trivialized by a convention that doesn't speak to the essence of their being.

Peace.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 914
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jb3...

Here are some topics I hope they cover on the marketing side, because some of what you say can and is being done today. But the creatives need to make it happen.

Most really good salespeople will tell you to interview your prospects, not the other way around. You just need to have the knowledge, practice, and skills to do that (some sales training is really worth it). It throws people off when you'll just leave an office if they're playing too much hardball.. and most of the time, they'll beg you to come back.

Another strategy to getting jobs that pay more and are the kind of work you want is to be ready to say no and walk away - as well as keep your mouth shut and let the possible client do the talking. So in reality, you're doing the interview, not them. If you work from a place of desperation, people can sense that and will take advantage of that. This is, after all, business; people take no prisoners on any topic and if you show weakness they will take advantage of it.

A third thing I hope they teach is to have people stop giving free consulting. Creatives' time is worth money, and if people want your knowledge (the main currency creatives have) then they need to charge for it.

Look, I believe in sharing information as much as the next guy; but there has to be a strict limit. If you give the milk away for free though, no one buys the cow.

Jb3

Post Number: 396
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DigVis,

I hear ya. It's an important discussion that is well worth while.

I just hope the CCSD@ hears me as well.

(Message edited by jb3 on June 28, 2008)

Jb3

Post Number: 400
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
'because some of what you say can and is being done today. But the creatives need to make it happen. '

explain

Digitalvision

Post Number: 915
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was referring/referencing the paragraph that begins as:

quote:

The entire system needs to be reversed. Lets start backwards from the last line.

Creatives (and all businesses) have the power to do that now. Hence the strategies/techniques I posted above, especially the reversal.

Jb3

Post Number: 401
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DigVis,

In my long sordid history of trying to sell ideas that go against SOP, i can tell you that all of the things you mentioned about desperation or about free consulting from the creative class, is that no one is ready to listen anyway.

A sales training class is fine, but i can sum it all up right here for you. Sex, Intrigue and Image sell. That's it. No idealogies, no core values, no nothing, just the pretense of something...look at Axe body spray, what the hell is that?

These are the very things i'm trying to get across here in that the creative class will 'yes' appreciate edgy marketing campaigns like Axe, but their not stupid enough to buy into the hype. The creative class wants substance. End of Story.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2838
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Attendees will take part in exploring innovation in:

Developing entrepreneurship & talent
Creating a dynamic sense of place
Encouraging diversity of thinking and of being
Establishing green and sustainable communities

The attendees would probably be in a much better position to do that if the "speakers" at this conference had actually built, managed or worked at a creative company at some point during their careers.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 916
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there are a couple speakers on there who have creative-related experiences, but generally, your point is well taken Fnemecek.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.