Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Rockin on the River food and beverage restrictions? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriend and I planned to ride our bikes downtown tonight to catch Pat Benetar at the Rockin on the River and also stop by the Fourth Friday at Campus Martius. As usual, we were ready to bring our own beverages, and maybe even sandwiches or other tasty snacks. In this case they would have been Crown Royale and Vernor's High Balls put into our plastic "sippy cups." Then I go to GM Ren Center web-site and read that no coolers, food or beverage will be allowed along the river walk. (of course they will be selling their own _I'm informed _ which probably means about $6 for a beer) This does not make sense. It's a free concert. On the Riverwalk, which I thought was a public venue. And thank God we plan on taking our bikes --- parking would be another expense.
This does not seem fair. In lean economic times, you would think people would have option to bring their own food and beverage to concerts in public spaces. Very unfair. I guess I'll have to wear my cargo shorts and try to smuggle ...

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 906
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the food and beverage is where they're making all their money. Those vendors, concerts, everything cost something to put on and the way to recoup part of those costs is in food and beverage.

Very common reversal, unfortunately. And the city can decide to do anything they want as far as rules in those public spaces (as much as I personally don't agree with some of those rules).

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smuggle on Urban. I cant afford a $6 beer. Ill do what I have to to attend a "free" concert.

I was really disapointed last year at taste fest when I bought a load of tickets to buy a $6 sandwich which turned out to be a 4" long sub which resembled a sample at any Costco. of course you cant buy anything with the leftover 4 tickets your stuck with as you have to buy 10 tickets at a time, I believe at a buck a piece. Its Detroit charging outrageous prices to set up booths that seem to force these high prices.

Detroit has been trying to "wet their beak" on the Dally in the Alley also. which has always been sponsor free. An event run by locals who truly care about the corridor. To be fair, the Dally restricts beer comming into that event also but its Quality Detroit beer being sold in the Dally and at decent price.

I could go on, but Ill stop now.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ol' Django... always causing a stir.

yeah, we're 'spose to go to Benetar also. Odd pickins', but I'm gamE.

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So who is the "they" in terms of making money? Is it the Riverfront Conservancy? Is it GM?

I don't have a problem ponying up cash for chow like Taste Fest _ it benefits the New Center area _ but this? Or maybe it's the Riverfront Conservancy that benefits? It's just misleading to say it's a "free concert" ... it's SEMI free. As for Tastefest, you can still bring your own food and drink. At the Festival of the Arts, for example, there was one person there, clearly not the wealthiest, who was sitting next to us and she brought out the sandwich she packed while enjoying the music.
THAT is a community event.
Or when I go to Campus Martius for lunch --- I can bring my own food. They don't tell me where I can buy from ...

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rockin on the Riverfront is really fun. You can see the concert from outside the seating area, so if you want you could spike your bike's sports bottle with whatever you wanted and no one would care, I'm sure. I'm going to see Blue Oyster Cult there in August.

As for Cityfest, tickets are $10 for 16. I don't go there for the food, though. It's usually too hot to eat. I like to sneak away to that bar in the basement of the Fisher building that has super cheap draft beers.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitarmy.com/200 8/05/gm-presents-rockin-on-riv erfront.html

I wholeheartedly agree that the no beverages rule isn't very cool. Guess they gotta make a profit though.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we go again...just because it is public space, tha does not mean access cannot be restricted from time to time. I can rent a picnic pavilion at Belle Isle and have a private area for a public party. Joe Louis is owned by the city, but that does not mean we all have Red Wings season tickets. You guys have to get over this "public spaces" obsession.

And for the record, the GM Prominade is GM property. It is connected to the riverfront, but it is in fact private property.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 557
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Guess they gotta make a profit though.

I doubt GM's Rocking Riverfront(like its core business) is a profit generator.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13146
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever heard of the Camelbak?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's michigan liquor law. If they sell alcohol you cannot bring your own. It's one of the reason you get patted down when you walk into a sports arena.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2571
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanpioneer, just bring your own. Chances are very good that you should be able to get away with it (unless you are annoying when drinking). I've had a forty on the steps just outside of the the GM winter garden with some people and never been disturbed. Moreover, at the DEMF, went across Jefferson to buy beer at the store as it was cheaper. No one bothered us as long as we drank it before trying to get back in to the enclosed event. Finally, even if you were to get caught, I bet the worst is that someone would have you poor it out--that's about the extent of those policing fun in Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.