Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Willys Kight ghost « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Richie
Username: Richie

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of all the cities I have visited and ghost signs I have photographed this one near Wayne State for the Overland and Willys Knight service is still my favorite. Curiously for the years I scoured Detroit looking at buildings & stuff to photograph I never saw this one until '05. These second picture is from this past May. As you can see while the building was converted to lofts the sign has now been restored. Note that they crossed out some illegible text and added the building address in a similar matching style of lettering.... also that another floor has been added.
July 9, 2005

May 25, 2008

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice picture Richie. I used to drive in that area all the time and I never saw that one.

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is next door to Avalon Bakery where Preservation Wayne starts their Midtown tours on Saturday mornings. The guides always pointed it out and gave the history of the building.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 373
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The addition on top is, well, "unsympathetic", as they say.

However, I love the ad restoration. I wish they'd do more of them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.