Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Positive coverage of Detroit by CNN « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hockey_guy
Username: Hockey_guy

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://edition.cnn.com/video/# /video/living/2008/06/20/city. guide.detroit.cnn

Ignore the 30 second ad at the start...

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 578
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice!!

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was nice, but did they have to do the part on the Rattlesnake Club, personally I've never heard of.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm, i clicked the link and saw a video of zimbabwe...

hockey_guy, are you trying to create a parallel for people of color struggling against institutional abuses created by the failed leadership of demagogues?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4549
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

link worked for me

The Rattlesnake Club is one of the premier high end restaurants in the city and has been around for some time.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt realize we hosted the world series in 06'

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay, the link now works - and, how would this appeal to a traveler? 1) greekstreet 2) dollops of meat sitting atop weird vegetables and fluids 3) an institution devoted to moving people at the unheralded rate of 17 miles per hour.

i think the most compelling, breathtaking, and provocative feature of detroit is the miles of abandonment, destitution, and decay.

it's difficult to reconcile a city that had worldwide prominence of genius and productivity - with a crumbling community of burned, falling-down, and missing homes; unsustainable businesses and their ugly skeletal remains; and future generations being shuttled through dropout schools.

it takes a powerful, corrupt, and heedless government for this to happen.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 955
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ignore this post... I made a mistake.

:-)

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on June 29, 2008)

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what? You're ugly too!

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

s_o_d, you're referring to the all-star game. the world series was not planned/expected. when the tigers had a great year in 2006, the world series just happened.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8307
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When the tigers had a great year in 2006, the world series just happened."

I know it's quibbling over semantics here but once a game is played here (whether planned or not), technically we were the HOST team when the Cardinals came to play us.

What a great time that was too. With any luck we'll do it again soon.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In either case, the downtown wasn't necessarily cleaned up for the World Series, it was cleaned up for the Super Bowl and to a lesser extent the All-Star game.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This feature is awful. They spend most of it showing a close-up of a bleeding hunk of flesh and otherwise show only Greektown as a great "unusual" destination in the city. When I'm in Greektown I always make sure to check out Monroe Street, it's really hopping!

Lilpup

Post Number: 4559
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's better than a negative spot and that's a step up in Detroit PR.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2628
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you rather CNN discuss the burned-out home on Warren & Rosa Parks with the crackheads living inside of it?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 826
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many hidden gems and wonderful individuals in the city of Detroit. Too bad the media and critics aren't getting to know many of the citizens of the city on an individual basis. When we make broad generalizations (youres truly included)along class,racial and religious lines,I think we tend to have a different perspective when we get to know the other as a person. There are lots of cool offbeat businesses and eating establishments in the city. The media, Detroit critics and fans alike tend to focus on the Downtown with an occasional plug of Mexicantown in Southwest Detroit, but there are many wonderful unique dining experiences in the near downtown and outer limits of the city.Resale shops, small supermarkets,community groups etc. There are blocks upon blocks of immaculately upkept homes and apartment buildings.
I would want CNN to portray drug addicted people as human beings Detroit rise. I would want CNN to show how loss of jobs, low wages and apathetic landlords have an adverse effect on whole communities.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2630
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, it's not so much what CNN shows about Detroit, but how the nation views CNN's aspect of Detroit.

Since we already have the reputation (largely) as a dirty, crime filled city, showing the drug addicted people, slumlords, or un-employed people would just keep that same perception going through everyone's head.

Nobody's stupid. Everonye knows the loss of jobs and low wages always lead to a negative impact on the surrounding areas (no matter who or waht is affected).

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 410
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aeh.....

needs a little meat to the story. kinda dry. If I lived....... well not here....... this tid bit story would do nothing for me.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think our standards are too low. Yes, it's great that CNN is doing a positive piece on the city, but it's a humorously ill-conceived one.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 619
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey folks I was happy to see positive coverage on such a global media channel, but damn why skip Eastern Market, Belle isle, Campus Martius, MGM Motor city?
WE NEED AGGRESSIVE EXECUTED MARKETING.

When i show 1st timers the city and all of it amazing treasures, they are usually in shock how unique this city is. Something out of Europe.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have been happier if they had spent some video footage showcasing a genuine Detroit museum, like the superb DIA, instead of a suburban museum / tourist attraction like Greenfield Village.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4562
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greenfield Village probably has a wider overall appeal. Some people think fine arts and immediately fall asleep. The best way to get them to the DIA is talk it up when they get here.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 827
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's cool how Detroit blogger John finds offbeat out of the way citizens and establishments in the city.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 394
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The food is great at the Rattlesnake Club, but their decor is stuck in the '80s.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.