Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Scott Fountain « Previous Next »
Archive through June 30, 2008Gistok30 06-30-08  3:35 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7372
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!

- Johnlodge's Mom circa the early 80's.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5055
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle should never, never have an admissions fee. It should also remain open at all times. Instead of paying cops to stand at Grand Blvd-Jefferson all night, the City should staff the station on the island better and have more patrols. Don't patrol the backwoods or the picnic areas [do we care if homeless people sleep there or there are parties with people drinking and smoking?], but keep an eye on the landmarks, the priceless pieces of architecture, and other property. The only compelling argument for shutting it down, to me, is reducing late night parties because of the mess (litter) that they create, which costs money to send out crews to clean up. That's about it.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The amount of liter on weekends trumps anything that could happen overnight. I think it is is more about preventing drug happenings. The lack of casual passers-by would just fuel the already major drug problem in the city.

By the way, when did the city start closing the park at night? I know there are other parks around the city that "close" as well, but I don't think those are enforced as much as encouraged.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5057
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point. The drug deals are gonna get done regardless, though.

I believe it was the summer before last when this regime started.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI I've got a friend in city government so I asked...here is the story:

1. Yes vandals stole the copper and it is not able to operate now because of the theft.

2. The city is soliciting bids for the repair work and fully understands what needs to be repaired.

3. The turtles are in storage and will be replaced when the fountain is turned back on.

4. The city is also planning to install security lights and cameras on the fountain.

The fountain should be running later this summer.

(my two cents...people are working on it...shit happens...people steal...get over it, it sucks but there's nothing more we can do at this point that isn't being done.)

(Message edited by quinn on June 30, 2008)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5059
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the scoop.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13221
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It started just after Carlita told Kwhyme to stop having 'those people' over to the mansion!

The big-headed boys were learning too much, too soon.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2607
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will they replace the stuff
The scrappers yanked so rough,
if we put Kwame's head
on old Jim Scott instead?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Merrill Fountain I propose we petition to have it moved to the (hopefully) soon to be renovated Capitol Park. Hurlbut gate should be moved for sure!

As far as the Scott Fountain and Belle Isle. The park should have regular operating hours and close to ALL traffic at night until the city can provide adequate patrols. You all yell about more police but look at this city.. Bars getting bricks thrown through the windows, car windows smashed on main roads in broad daylight, scrappers pulling apart street light right on Woodward Ave. the list goes on. Its just better for the time being as there are greater places to put our meager police staff. The city will cut and cut and cut to stay afloat, when it really needs to pour tons of money into schools, city beautification, police, fire, public works, parks after school programs and just run the deficit as hight as possible making the city livable. I really like my city but sometimes its almost unbearable.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Preservation Wayne (Detroit)? Is there a way to start a fund to replace the piping? Frankly, I wouldn't think twice about shooting someone found looting. I'm so effing sick of it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7082
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea Mdoyle! The grassy part of Capitol Park is triangular, as was the part of Campus Martius that originally held Merrill Fountain.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@#%$!

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3130
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ditto

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this fountain, I was looking at some pictures on the internet. Thanks for the info about the turtles being put into safekeeping. Whenever I visit Detroit I always go to Belle Isle. I will be there soon but I guess I won't be able to enjoy the fountain. That sucks!!

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on the island Sunday, after the rain went through. Not only was the fountain not founting, what have they done with my great uncle's statue?

Why does plumbing need to be copper? It was always drained for the winter. Couldn't we use pex or abs or garden hoses?

Quick impressions of the park since I was last there to visit the aquarium in its final days. (To be fair, that was a four thousand mile trip.)

I am not impressed by porta-potties standing in front of all the comfort stations. I did not indulge but was told that some were better than others. Things were generally pretty clean. I did see one cop on a bicycle, and he did stop to chat with a group guarding the entrance to a private picnic.

I only spoke with one employee and she was friendly and knowledgeable. The gardens don't look too bad, the koi are looking good and they will accept volunteer weeders.

The beach was in beautiful shape and I saw at least one lifeguard. I think only two swimmers.

Folks looked happy to be there and were treating their surroundings well. None of them offered us any barbeque.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13222
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were told during the Memorial Day weekend that the bathrooms were closed due to 'vandalism'...now I can assume they busted 'em up for the copper?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 971
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes sorry I ment to mention the fact the bathrooms were all looted as well.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bathrooms at the southern tip of the island were demolished, soon to be rebuilt with a nicer building.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lodgedodger...read my post. No money needed. It's being worked on.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a related note, The Free Press today mentioned that 3 punk scrappers were busted in Warren stripping empty houses of copper.

I wish they would reinstate chain gangs for these scrappers.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2579
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why does plumbing need to be copper? It was always drained for the winter. Couldn't we use pex or abs or garden hoses?"

Not all building codes embrace this sort of plumbing, but a fountain could be exempt as it is nonpotable water.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How much repair does it need? I say we sneak past the cops at night, break through the fountain gate, and replace the copper ourselves. We will take back what is ours guerilla style."

I'm in..got tools, time, and experience I'd love to loan to a cause like this.
Let's start a "reclaim Detroit" sub-rosa fix-it crew!
Covert Plumbing, Inc..
:-)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2583
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's a public bid, someone could prob dig up the document and post it on here. That way you all would have a better idea of the extent of the work required.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too disagree with park admission.

My solution: Make MacArthur a Toll Bridge. :-)

It isn't a park entry fee, its a toll to use and maintain the bridge.

Free to pedestrians.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill McGraw writes about the fountain. Looks like Quinn had the scoop. We'll see if the city actually gets it up and running again or leaves it to rot like the Merrill Fountain in Palmer Park.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080701/COL 27/307010020

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another blow to this City. I am crushed. My favorite fountain, and the one in Grand Circus Park.
I have a photo of my mother and her friends taken in front of that fountain cira 1930.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know this might seem to obvious to city hall but what about a program like I started at my police department.

It was called citizens on patrol (COPS). Volunteer citizens, retired cops, military, etc volunteered their time to patrol the city. They did not get involved an any criminal activity. They drove patrol cars but had yellow lights on the roof instead of the traditional blue. They acted more as a security guard service and reported any activities they saw over their own 2 way radio frequency.

Prior to getting in a 2 man volunteer unit training was provided on what to look for, radio techniques and other related matters after they passed a background check.

As many citizens up there want to protect the beauty of Detroit volunteers shouldn't be a problem. I know I would.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Citizens on Patrol"? That sounds like a great idea for a wacky police comedy:

http://i73.photobucket.com/alb ums/i222/txsales/PoliceAcademy 4CitizensonPatrol-1.jpg

But in all seriousness, Detroit needs all the help it can get so I say a glorified neighborhood watch works for me.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He doesn't look like the kind of cat you would want to mess with-

Mr. James Scott
http://www.flickr.com/photos/j ustbeamensch/2436651924/sizes/ l/

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This story was the feature in Section B in today's Free Press. Nice call Urbanoutdoors.

Warrenite84

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no doubt that it will be repaired by the time the Grand Prix rolls into town.

How would Rodger Penske explain to corporate sponsors who rent tents by the fountain why the fountain is not working? 'Sorry guys, I don't control King Kwame and he didn't make it a priority to protect our cities' crown jewels.'

Warrenite84

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no doubt that it will be fixed by the time the Grand Prix rolls into town.

How would Rodger Penske explain to corporate sponsors who rent the tents around the fountain as to why the fountain isn't working?

'Sorry guys, I don't control King Kwame and he didn't make it a priority to protect our city's crown jewels.'

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close the park @ sundown... If we can't secure it and maintain it 24hrs a day, reduce the time it's open.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 956
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid,

There has been community patrols (using CB) in some neighborhoods in Detroit for awhile. I've served a few times - their numbers were dwindling when I moved out of that neighborhood; some volunteers were inner-ring suburbanites with friends who lived in the particular neighborhood. I hope they might still be alive, but there was some resistance from the city because -ahem- the patrols didn't reflect the look of the majority Detroit community.

Same issue here - I remember distinctly ideas of closing the island or gating the island or charging admission fees tipping off feelings of when black folk couldn't go on the island or their access was restricted.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in '69 a guy my husband hung around with always insisted at stopping at every restroom on the island...not just to use the facilities, but to punch the glass in the doors. We started carrying bandages and tape in the car to tape up his cut hand that was inevitable every trip to Belle Isle. Finally we quit bringing him and his girlfriend with us.

(Message edited by grumpyoldlady on July 07, 2008)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11852
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why wouldn't you turn him in? For someone who complains about 'Detroit criminals' so much it seems you could have taken the high oad and turned him in.

I guess the rules are different if it is someone you know. Looking the other way with friends crimes certanly didn't help the city.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 903
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothing pisses me off more than litterers, scrappers, or vandals. makes me so angry.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7107
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope those hand injuries led to arthritis and he was reminded of his lunacy for the rest of his life... a true case of Schadenfreude...

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to kill people who throw trash from their car while driving. So disgusting. If I see it happen, and I catch a light with that person, I don't have a problem telling them "you really shouldn't throw your garbage out the window. even if you don't live around here, the people who do don't want to have to clean your crap. save it til you hit your front lawn and then dump it!" usually people look at me like I'm crazy.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 656
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot understand how this happened without someone seeing it and reporting it. The apathy in this city is just plain nauseating.

I guess it just isn't worth reporting, as you would probably have to go to court and testify and waste your whole day for nothing.

I wish I'd have seen the asshole who broke those windows out. He would need more than a few bandages to stem the bleeding from the ass kicking I would dole out to him........

Jt1

Post Number: 11854
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res- It may have been done at night when normal citizens would have been on the island to do something. Assuming people saw it and were apathetic is quite an assumption.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 659
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not make an assumption of any kind. It is what was stated in the interview that I saw.

Don't be so touchy. The city has problems, just admit it and go on with reality.

Sticking up for Detroit constantly and ignoring that this doesn't exactly happen the same way in every city is just plain stupid, JT1.

Jt1

Post Number: 11855
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res - I was responding to

quote:

I cannot understand how this happened without someone seeing it and reporting it. The apathy in this city is just plain nauseating.

I am fine admitting the city has many, many problems but I will respond to blanket statements about the people of the city. If you consider that touchy then so be it.

quote:

Sticking up for Detroit constantly and ignoring that this doesn't exactly happen the same way in every city is just plain stupid, JT1.

Vocally I am a big critic of the city and I know and am frustrated by its many shortcomings. That doesn't change the fact that I won't gloss over statements that make broad statements about sitautions (like people saw it) and that implise the citizens as a whoel are apathetic.

Jt1

Post Number: 11856
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, you didn't respond to the statement that it may have been done at night. To blindly assume that people saw it and chose to ignore it is a big assumption.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 660
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was in no way a blanket statement, so stop referring to it as that. It was an observation based on many facts. I go out to Belle Isle at least once a month and there are always plenty of people at that particular spot at all times of the day and even into the early evening hours.

I also work A LOT in the city, with a bunch of its administration, and I watch the media(all aspects of the media) report about these things all the time.

Additionally, I volunteered in a neighborhood in the city where people plainly pointed out a scrapper who roams among them, but is still on the streets because no one has reported him.

I have adequate enough PERSONAL EXPERIENCE to make that statement. After 20+ years of Coleman Young and now this guy Kwame, I can't believe that you would take the stance that you ALWAYS do here. You and a very SMALL minority of others may not be apathetic, but since these clowns are still running the show, what are the rest of us who are working so doggedly to make a difference in the city left to derive? You, personally, may not be adding to this problem, but by refusing to remove these clowns from positions of responsibility and looking the other way every time, the citizens allow these incidents continue to escalate.

To ASSume that $100,000 dollars of damage can be done so quickly that no one sees it in a public park is just plain stupid, JT.

And to also ASSume that your fellow citizens are doing their part (in the majority, anyway) is just plain ludicrous. If they were doing their part en masse, things would be drastically different, and you know it. Instead, it is business as usual. That is the personification of apathy.

I made no BLIND ASSUMPTIONS at all. I made, however, strong assertions, as Lawrence Hemingway himself said that he thought it had been done during the day in the interview that you conveniently disregarded me as quoting.

By the way, when we were down there on Saturday night, the entrance to the park was blocked by a cop car with its lights on, and people were not being allowed on the island. To assume that it could have been done at night is okay, but back that with something other than your opinion and I might buy it.

Finally, it doesn't make any difference when it was done, someone should have seen it and reported it, period. Apathy abounds in the city, so why do you insist on arguing with someone who is simply pointing out the truth?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres -

they got into a side door and took it all out from underneath the fountain. How the hell would anyone notice that?

Probably loaded it up into a truck at night. If anyone was around, which is doubtful, they probably assumed it was a worker's crew. To ASSume that someone near a fountain is a copper thief is a bit absurd

Jt1

Post Number: 11857
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Additionally, I volunteered in a neighborhood in the city where people plainly pointed out a scrapper who roams among them, but is still on the streets because no one has reported him.

No one has reported him or the DPD has not done anything. Assumptions. I have reported scrappers and had little or no response. Assuming apathy by the people is not the same as assuming apathy by the adminstration.

quote:

You, personally, may not be adding to this problem, but by refusing to remove these clowns from positions of responsibility and looking the other way every time, the citizens allow these incidents continue to escalate.

Again, yuo are projecting your assumptions onto too many people. There are a lot of people that voted against KK in the last election as well as the fools on CC. There are also a lot of people trying to get him booted. Sorry if there aren't enough of us screaming outside city hall but my job comes first in that regard.

quote:

To ASSume that $100,000 dollars of damage can be done so quickly that no one sees it in a public park is just plain stupid, JT.

To assume it was done vissbly with people around and every stood watching is dumb. I try to be respectful to you because I respect what you sdo in the city but you can go fuck yourself with ASSume.

quote:

And to also ASSume that your fellow citizens are doing their part (in the majority, anyway) is just plain ludicrous. If they were doing their part en masse, things would be drastically different, and you know it. Instead, it is business as usual. That is the personification of apathy.

Were do I say that majority? There is a difference between saying many, many people are working to improve the city is a far cry from saying all.

quote:

I made no BLIND ASSUMPTIONS at all. I made, however, strong assertions, as Lawrence Hemingway himself said that he thought it had been done during the day in the interview that you conveniently disregarded me as quoting.

quote:

By the way, when we were down there on Saturday night, the entrance to the park was blocked by a cop car with its lights on, and people were not being allowed on the island. To assume that it could have been done at night is okay, but back that with something other than your opinion and I might buy it.

So your opinions hold more water than others. I am on the isladn very often I believe that it would have been reported if people were around. Of course you are comparing a Saturday in the summer to 'late winter or early spring'. Nothing like comparing apples and oranges for number of people on the island.

I also think it is a great ASSumption on your part to take Mr. Hemingway's 'daytime' opinion as fact since he can't even say what season it happended. I guess if he said it happended at 2PM but didn't know the month you would ASSume that to be fact.

quote:

Finally, it doesn't make any difference when it was done, someone should have seen it and reported it, period.

ASSuming people were there sometime in late winter/early fall. I have been on the island on days in the winter when I was completely alone. Another ASSumption that people were just standing watching on a day that may have been late winter or spring.

quote:

Apathy abounds in the city, so why do you insist on arguing with someone who is simply pointing out the truth?

I agree that there is a lot of apathy in the city and it upsets me to no end. i am just questioning the fact that your are ASSuming truth regarding the events of this event.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 661
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit-

Your post is also an assumption, and I'm done arguing with you two about a subject which you fail to agree is a problem no matter when it was done. It does nothing to argue about this, as it doesn't fix the problem or address the real problem.

Also, none of what you posted about the back door stuff was related in the interviews or any of the media coverage that I heard about, and I was just trying to point out that the man himself said it on tv.

Again, I was assuming nothing.

Perhaps it was stretch to think that someone would have noticed anything out of the ordinary anywhere in this city, but you act as though the people that typically do this stuff in the city are ninja-like in their stealth when committing crimes such as this.

When I have seen or heard of this happening, it has often been in broad daylight, right under the noses of people who know better, but fail to react.

Just like the shooting at the fireworks a few years ago back. Thousands of people around, and not one person saw anything? Another fine example of the BS that you are defending.

Apathy does exist, starting right here by not admitting the truth, I guess.

Peace, out.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree totally with a admission per car fee,, (2.00) was suggested years ago. Free admission to seniors, walkers/runners/bikers over the bridge..If it deters a small portion of the abusers and adds funds to a clean up campaign its well worth it... Had a friend from Cleveland over two weeks ago and we bicycled over to the island. He was very impressed basically with the plan of the island but couldnt believe the condition of the park in certain areas,, Garbage in many spots, the area surrounding the monument was in total disrepair and half of the conservatory garden was overgrown with weeds. He kept stating what a wonderful Victorian feel the place has but couldnt understand, "How your city can let such a gem be neglected" Its hard to explain between the lack of city upkeep and the abuse it takes from many of its visitors...There are so many good things about it... I hope we can increase our support for this city treasure..

Plymouthres

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, JT1, I've tried to be cordial with you whenever I have engaged you in any thread. You, on the other hand, have never been even close with me. You have even admitted as much on more than one occasion with me, so back off, jack.

You should read your posts better, and, while you are at it, take a minute to try and at least form a grammatically correct sentence. You could use a class in detente, too, as you plainly jump down peoples throats for their experiences and then just piss all over them trying to force your point down their throats.

You continuously dismiss other peoples experiences as though you are the only person who has ever cared about this city that is fucked up beyond repair, and in which a majority of the people who vote keep putting the same pieces of shit back in office. Take a look around, bucko, its been happening for 30+ years and it still hasn't changed, mostly because of delusionists like you.

As for my participation in helping out with and patronizing detroit, I believe I do my share, so you can FUCK OFF. Your the one throwing around the blanket assumptions(having so cavalierly used that phrase first), but when its used back at you you can not handle it.You really need to give it a break since you don't seem to have either the reading or writing skills necessary to engage in a rational conversation without resorting to your childish behavior and name calling.

As for this thread, the last time I looked, it was about the fountain. That is why I posted, not to take a shot at you, although you seem to feel the need to do that with me, just like on all the other threads where you have tried to force feed those who participate with your tirades and bullshit.

In short, you can kiss my ass.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you are an angry little child.

If the thread is about the fountain, why did you bring up the Hart Plaza shooting? You address that post to me, yet I never once brought up that event. Did I ever say that no one saw anything? no. Was anyone defending the Hart Plaza shooting? Were talking about the fountain, which is on Belle Isle in case you were confused.

And it was reported that the thieves were under the fountain, where likely no one could see them. Perhaps you need to watch more closely or listen to all the reports if you are going to come here guns a-blazing

Jt1

Post Number: 11858
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You, on the other hand, have never been even close with me

I disagree. I have been snarky in the past and I admit when I am.

quote:

You should read your posts better, and, while you are at it, take a minute to try and at least form a grammatically correct sentence.

I feel little need to proof something I post on an anonymous forum. I do in my professional work, not on silly forums.

quote:

You could use a class in detente

Your choice of using ASSumption certainly is an example of making amends, right big guy?

quote:

You continuously dismiss other peoples experiences as though you are the only person who has ever cared about this city that is fucked up beyond repair, and in which a majority of the people who vote keep putting the same pieces of shit back in office.

I do not dismiss other people's experiences but I do question generalizations that are not rooted in fact, such as the assumption that people were watching the destruction of the fountain or nobody calls the police on the scrappers.

Nobody is more frustrated with the same fools being elected. I just choose not to make assumptions that all the citizens support KK and all of CC. It isn't a 100% or 0% support rate. I also consider what is being done by the citizens working hard to get rid of the idiots.

quote:

Take a look around, bucko, its been happening for 30+ years and it still hasn't changed, mostly because of delusionists like you.

Been longer than 30 years but feel free to use that convenient cut off. Nice attitude with the names.

quote:

As for my participation in helping out with and patronizing detroit, I believe I do my share, so you can FUCK OFF.

I have commended you and your work many times so this is out of place.

quote:

Your the one throwing around the blanket assumptions(having so cavalierly used that phrase first), but when its used back at you you can not handle it.

Incorrect. I use many assumptions and I will say as much. My issue lies with your need to capitalize ASS. Whether it was an attempt at humor or to be condescending it was inappropiate and I reacted accordingly in my opinion.

quote:

You really need to give it a break since you don't seem to have either the reading or writing skills necessary to engage in a rational conversation without resorting to your childish behavior and name calling.

Sorry, but you're a little late to take the high road after starting with capitalizing ASS in assumption. If you can't differentiate between how ASSumption may be inferred to be different then assumption I think that you need to question your ability to engage in a rational conversation.

Read my post 11855 and your response in post 660. I think it is safe to say that you chose to esclate this discussion.

quote:

As for this thread, the last time I looked, it was about the fountain. That is why I posted, not to take a shot at you, although you seem to feel the need to do that with me, just like on all the other threads where you have tried to force feed those who participate with your tirades and bullshit.

Because I chose to question your belief that people were there, watching the theft and did nothing? If that is enough to set you off I think that you need to reassess your reactions.

quote:

In short, you can kiss my ass.

It depends. If it doesn't get reported can I blindly ASSume that hundreds of people were watching the ass kissing.

What is really funny about your little fit is you still choose to ignore any comments of mine when I concede how messed up the city is and how frustrating it is that useless people get elected. I guess acknowledging those pesky points don't support your claims that I ignore the bad and corruption in the city.

My apologies if I don't proofread my post for you.

(Message edited by jt1 on July 08, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.