Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Off Shore Wharf for Passenger Ships in the Works? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4880
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting and I like it. Would be quite a face changer on the river front.

"Detroit's $15 million effort to build a new public passenger ship terminal and dock will also see an additional $4 million to $5 million spent to construct an offshore wharf in the Detroit River."

From this week's Crain's

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah.. I heard it should be open by spring of 2005... I can't wait!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7364
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does a Wharf help ships gain access to deeper water during times of low water levels? It sounds cool but I guess I don't understand. Does it mean ships can dock at the Wharf in the middle of the river, rather than coming near the sides?

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It must be shallower close to the shore JL

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2578
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this different from the Port Authority terminal or just an updated plan?

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the same plan- I think I remember reading in the terminal materials that the wharf was intended as a phase II type of thing. Interesting they're going on with it before ground is broken on the terminal itself.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the terminal was supposed to be finished by now. At least they finally opened up the fencing over there so we can walk from Heart Plaza to the Ren Cen without going back up to Jefferson.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well now, all we have to do is raise the SS North America from 400 feet of water off Nantucket Light, and we'd really have something.....

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6073
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I'm pretty sure this is a retread of the Port Authority project that is to get going near Hart Plaza. It's so strange to hear the river banks referred to as "shores". The Detroit River is fairly wide, but I'd hardly call the middle of the river "off-shore".

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11817
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps a picture slide show would be better, as some folks apparently can't comprehend the article.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 969
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are Great Lake Cruises a good idea? I'm wondering what you guys think of them. There seems to be a lot of untapped potential there, or is tapped only by very small operations.

Sand Dunes, Cedar Point, Bay City, Put-In-Bay, Mackinaw Island, Detroit/Windsor, and Chicago (just to name a few)... could they all be accessed by a larger vessel? It's a pretty "out there" idea. I know absolutely nothing about cruises, or even what is often attractive about some (Alaskan Cruises, other than wildlife, offer what?). I have heard they are popular in the Mediterranean, and have wondered why they wouldn't be popular in the Great Lakes though.

That is all not to mention that all of those destinations are probably going to be hurt enough by a decrease in auto based tourism, to be open to other ideas.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2428
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The terminal sounds good. Detroit must then market big-time to not only lure passenger boats in for the relatively short season, but to get them to berth here rather than in Windsor.
The concept and thinking behind the "floating wharf" is one of the most impractical and outright dumb ideas to come out of the minds of so-called "civic leaders" in quite a spell. Ludicrous.
Pardon the pun, but the wharf will never float.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a feeling this project is going to be as "shipless" as the artistic rendering in the article that is supposedly intended to convince us that this is such a great idea!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 971
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, floating piers for most ports, are the new "thing". Most marinas have switched to a floating system. It is much, much cheaper, because you don't have to build and maintain in place. Portions can simply be replaced, or fixed out of the water. This actually is one of the smarter decisions around here, in my opinion.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2582
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit must then market big-time to not only lure passenger boats in for the relatively short season, but to get them to berth here rather than in Windsor."

Would it ever make sense to have boats just take people across the river to Canada? That was the impression of the use of the wharf that I was getting.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6076
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was under the impression from all that I've read over the years that this was primarily for Great Lakes cruises, not geared directly toward a more practical ferry service.

BTW, why do some believe that adding an offcoast wharf irreparably harms the project? How is it that the ferry terminal is such a great idea, but adding an offcoast wharf ruin the entire project? At worst, I'd expect any addition to the terminal project to be viewed with ambivalence.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.