Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Music Industry Improvements for Detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through July 01, 2008Johnlodge30 07-01-08  1:29 pm
Archive through July 01, 2008Melody30 07-01-08  4:35 pm
Archive through July 02, 2008Melody30 07-02-08  12:53 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13289
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM, but then I'll miss YOUR show...the whole purpose for my visit...O'Big Hairy One.

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, you may have missed my comments above about the word FREE.... :P

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7457
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

O'Big Hairy One

Gannon, that's no way to talk to a lady.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I thought you were coming LATE. If you promise to be overly complimentary, then yes, you're fine. I hate muffins though, and I don't drink coffee. How bout some Tullamore Dew and a few olives?

Gannon

Post Number: 13294
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Derek,

And YOU missed my offer for trade-in-kind, didn't you? Hell, she is the one who mentioned including journalists, and already knows I've started working on a HD Radio story, although I'm sure it will have to be a series, at least in my e-zine. I have NO other hint who might want to buy the story from me once it is finished...but I am a published writer/journalist. (I'm not talking about here, either)

JL,

HEY! She brought up three-foot-tall hairdo's. Heh.

No offense intended...plus we KNOW she's female, and a woman (beyond the girlie years), but we've got no knowledge if she wants to be referred to as a lady.

Cheers

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 984
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, you don't have to give a whole album away free, but that does work. A sampler is another option. The point was that records weren't the main source of income.

I have heard Interscope, Time Warner, and others are going through some hard times. That's why we haven't heard anything new from many semi big Detroit artists. That "attack your customers" tactic that the record companies used, was one of the stupidest business mistakes I have ever heard. What the heck where they trying to do with that?

I miss Proof...

He was always great with the fans. Actually, it was his "we need to get out there with them" mentality that he had, that was so great. Going to a show at The Majestic, I would see the show and all, maybe even buy a shirt or album. When someone I liked was playing, I bought at least five tickets, no question. Then I called up friends and got them to come over. LOL, they made it so easy to promote. Who of anyone I knew had anything better to do? Suburbanites and urbanites both lacked nightlife in their areas, so it was easy to get them to come down. They loved it. Where else in Michigan, besides Detroit, could you go to a club or bar and run into so many well known artists? It was hilarious to watch them gush; "Oh I loved you in that song where you said yada. You know what it's like, and wow! I can't believe I am talking to you, wow".

Then I'd let them crash at my place in the CBD for the night. Gannon, thinking back.... you could see it. That Spirit you talk about, you could tell they were just in awe of it all. You could see that they were experiencing it. I convinced so many to move to Detroit. They all moved away once they started their families... :-(

I guess (hopefully) other singles took their place though.

Gannon

Post Number: 13295
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody,

DONE, but I cannot join you on the Tullamore Dew, that stuff makes my personality flip 180 degrees almost as efficiently as Jagermeister. I'll tip a tequila shot with a Coke or Coffee chaser to yours.

Overly complimentary...h-m-m-n-n...ha ve I just been bought? Any ethicists in the crowd?

Detroitderek

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, my response was meant tongue-in cheek, as I found great humor in her response that you could get in for free AFTER her show. Sorry if my comment was misunderstood.

Sean - I agree about the sampler being a great tool. Even better when you can get a sponsor to cover the expenses for it as it works as a tool for them ( Jagermeister for example ). I also agree with your comment about the attack the customer tactic.

Gannon

Post Number: 13298
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! Mine, too, it is all in good fun. I was just giving you some excrement back.

Yeah, when the RIAA went after end-users I realized they had NOTHING but fear left...damn shame, they really could've spun it as an educational tool.

But so few regular folk understand anything past the word digital...

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's get Digital, Digital
I wanna get Digital. Let's get into Digital...

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

Please send me and email:

dan at the crofoot dot com

I will be away from computers till Saturday, but I would love to know more details about what you are planning. I am sure I know a few people that might be interested in helping....

Gannon

Post Number: 13307
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E-mail sent, Dan.

I talked about this at Vivio's on Monday night, and the woman next to me immediately called Greg B's FATHER...and we had a nice chat. Cool guy. Thought that was a curious shrinking of the universe.

Three degrees of separation at work for us.

Cheers

Gannon

Post Number: 13310
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what is this 'away' from computers?

How do you breathe?

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea for a thread, Gannon!

I have a few niggles about the current state of the music scene in the D.

1) Advertising. Why should I be hearing about how cool some thing WAS at CAID? Why do I only hear about about an open-mic night at some coffee house in Hamtramck on a forum? Or find out that there was a totally killer show at Bohemian House from a friend of a friend of a friend? If it's made known in our weekly newspapers, it ain't out there enough. I don't want to have to dig. In my younger years, finding out about stuff word of mouth made me feel cool, like an insider - nowadays it just makes me tired.

2) Timing. This can be said for about every great live show, big or small, that comes through here: People that can see your shows, by and large, have 9-5 jobs. We can't be out till midnight or 1:00 am to see your band play on a Tuesday.

3) Sound. For the love that is all good and holy, turn it down and mix the PA with at least a modicum of respect for us, the audience. Hell, get one of your friends to stand out in the crowd so they can tell you what crap sounds like.

And while I'm at it, you kids get off my lawn!

Yikes. I think I've become my dad...

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always see alot of shows thanks to MySpace. That $5.00 cover charge to see 3 bands on any given night is the best Entertainment bang for your buck anywhere. If it just so happens to be on a Tuesday night I'll come home from work and take a nap.

Gannon

Post Number: 13313
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for that, Screamingfit.

OUCH on the coffeehouse gig dig, but it wasn't my responsibility. Cafe 1923 didn't do anything more than put it in their calendar, and Audra put it on HER MySpace page. We got some cool coverage in the Hamtramck paper within a few weeks of the series advent, but nothing else as far as I know.

But you'd have to be in the know to reach there, too.

GREAT feedback.

I recorded the first few week's performances, as a proof of concept that I couldn't fully explain to Audra...heck, it took a huge conflict and me going on strike before SHE realized the value of a decent sound system and reasonable person to run it...both at the Cafe AND with her monthly parlor series at her house.

I think even Stirling is starting to appreciate me, which gives me great pleasure. Understand, I have NO professional training other than my experience and perceptual ability...and DEEP understanding of electronics and acoustics and the ear/brain mechanism. I've had to prove myself as more than just an enthusiast...I know I've got the ability, it just may be a gift.

One of our...my...biggest compliments made WAS the one woman said she could bring her parents out to hear some new music BECAUSE the sound wasn't too loud. We've got one beautiful retiree from the home across the street who is a faithful weekly attendee...as well as a couple who actually brings in their year-or-so old child. (I love to see them all come through the door...)

Their coffee distributor's compliment to both Audra and me simply floored me...he goes to Open Mics all the time at his client's shops and told me hands down ours was the best...and re-iterated it after we broke down for the night. I keep wondering how much I can WOW people if only I could buy the equipment I lust after...like a pair of small ATC monitors and a real quality mixer, I'm only using an inexpensive Behringer through some powered Event near-field studio monitors now! I'll settle for Bag End monitors if I can't find a budget for those amazing ATCs...if you've EVER been to the Living Room in NYC, that's what they have hanging from their ceiling...if I could emulate ANY live venue I've ever witnessed, that'd be the one.

Keeping the sound level reasonable is one of my basic goals, as well as making sure the INPUTS of the mixer aren't saturated...one of the easiest errors an UNtrained live mixer can make.

I only mix the most complicated stuff through in-ear headphones which also act as earPLUGS, dropping outside sound by over twenty-five decibels...because I understand the value of keeping my hearing...and know very clearly how our hearing changes after even a short burst of extreme sound pressure level, the ear/brain starts to protect itself and low details are simply unperceived.

I've worn earplugs at nearly EVERY loud concert I've attended since a 1978 Van Halen/Cobo concert injured my right ear a bit...and have a set of custom-formed jobs awaiting my next free hundred bucks to pay them off at my ear doctors. (damned if I didn't lose one at the SuperBowl, so it actually cost me something after all! I blame the lack of dark beer forcing me to imbibe Jack Daniels and Coke instead...ahem)

But in my humble opinion, MOST sound people are actually quite deaf from too much loud music...same with a few of the venue owners! After years of loud car stereos and Walkpeople/iPod abuse...so are a whole smattering of the population.

Leaving those of us who CAN actually hear cringing in the crowd...I'm never shy about jamming my fingers into my ears if I've forgotten my 'plugs...in the vain hopes that someone may notice. Occasionally they do, more than often I simply run away in a...screaming fit!

I know, outside of that amazingly humble UofM doctor who pioneered the implanting of dog/pig 'cilia' hair to restore some types of human hearing damage, that once you lose it...it is GONE...and my ears are part of my professional toolkit as home entertainment electronics tweak and now journalist critic.

I won't let mere music enjoyment hinder the rest of my life...I'd guess if we went around measuring sound pressure levels, we'd have OSHA-type violations EVERYWHERE in town.

In some cases, with heavy distortion induced on purpose, the ears shut down almost immediately and the pain is taken to be part of the performance.

After hearing Melody playing some of the NEW rock coming out in the city on her radio show, I am very curious to listen more closely to a band's recorded studio performance then get to them live so I can compare...to hear if their mix survives the transition.

We're headed into some really cool things, I feel.

Time to revisit MY ear doctor, and interview that humble fellow in A2...I met him in his basement during a Michigan Tube Amp Appreciation Society meeting he hosted a few years back...oddly a week or so after he was interviewed on NPR for his breakthrough on restoring hearing loss.

Cheers!

(I am still stung by the experience in Indiana with a former forumer's college band re-union weekend many moons ago. The first night in an open-air venue they reported the BEST sound their long-time fans had EVER heard in ten years of loyal live listening...then total disaster the next night in a shitty all-cinderblock echo-pressure-chamber of a 'restored' movie theater with a failing right woofer wall, soundboard with inadequate independent input monitoring, AND a prima-dona fucking asshole of a saxophone player (and the Blue Man Group drummer who took offense at the temporary feedback which occurred when I tried to give said prima dona enough gain through the monitors) who thought I should just be able to telepathically know his horn's pickup fell off and then that he grabbed a soloists horn! Naw, I got a huge lesson in assuming the equipment at a venue would be up to my standards (even though I was warned the night before from some locals)...the former forumer STILL owes me a couple hundred dollars for that gig, as well as an apology for the cascading bullshit that followed at Cafe de Troit and afterwards with his circle of friends! It didn't help that only about 60 people showed up when they were expecting 600 or so...heh...lesson learned and friendship unfortunately lost.)

Gannon

Post Number: 13314
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tonight's Open Mic should be a truly great one...it is the New Moon and Audra is ON.

Come on down to Cafe 1923 and take in some leading-edge folk/rock (and occasional killer Windsor blues) along with some of the best java and treats this side of Eight Mile Road!

Can I get a witness?!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 552
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I played at Fifth Avenue, it was with a cover band playing their first show ever. The bar cancelled the rest of our summer bookings afterward because we "didn't draw well" that night. Well, duh. We weren't expecting to. That's one of the few places that can afford to give a new band a chance, since they've got that built-in Royal Oak crowd. There was a decent number of people there dancing and having a good time, but it wasn't jam-packed, so I guess we weren't good enough. Oh well.
Derek might remember that night last summer. He was there, and he rocked. (Hi Derek!)

Gannon

Post Number: 13317
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They gave you ONE chance at creating a following?

Sounds like Fifth Avenue is on the B List or worse.

Wasn't it Douglas Adams who had the concept of the A Ark and B Ark...where they invited all whom they didn't want on the next home planet to ride in that B ship straight into the sun?!

Hitchhiker-atcha!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 553
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Fifth is a really good place for a band to play, with an awesome sound system and engineer, plus that built-in crowd of trendy twentysomethings.
They probably wouldn't have booked us if they knew it was a new band. That said, it's a Catch-22 for bands: bar owners won't book you if you don't have a loyal following, but you can't build that following without playing a lot of gigs in good places.
It's hard out here for a pimp.

Gannon

Post Number: 13322
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, back on the A-Ark for them.

Heya, Melody, sorry I missed you last night.

I looked up the Belmont's MySpace, and found the link to yours...so I sent a note to you there.

Cheers everyone, have a great holiday...see some of you around the Park Stage at CityFest tonight.

Grassy Knoll...still laughing about that one...thanks, Melody.

Detroitderek

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I DO remember ( and hey back by the way! ).

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you , Screamingfit...exactly! Rare to find a good combination of sound quality AND quantity in the average 'small room' venues around Detroit. Personally, I head for the sides of a stage behind the PAs so I can appreciate the intimacy of the sound directly from the amp speaker(s)or drumhead. Example, yesterday's Cityfest at the Pure Stage, although certainly not a 'small room', Cetan Clawson's drummer mix through the PA=mud, but rich snap and pop from stage-side. PA volume for closing set by SSM just right...if you were BEHIND the stage or standing halfway down the block. Over in the grassy bowl of the Park Stage, things were, and have always been, dialed in much better. And yeah, I can't go to a Tuesday show and get to bed at XX:00am...well, maybe once in a while. Good thread Gannon. (By the way, Cetan started the show playing the Star Spangled Banner intro with his teeth,then behind his back, almost note-for-note ala Hendrix at Woodstock. Go see this young guy)

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love if WDET had some sort of partnership with local venues like the Magic Stick, the Lager House, or the Crofoot out in Pontiac where they could record and then simulcast (or play later) some of the acts that come to town (and some of the local acts too like the Great Lakes Myth Society).

NPR has their "All Songs Considered" program which plays a lot of great live concerts from the 9:30 Club in Washington D.C. and I would definitely tune in for some that I couldn't make it to in person.

Gannon

Post Number: 13343
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that, Dannaroo, we're working on something similar. Staying just BELOW the national recording label's radar for the moment.

How much resistance would you have to a downloading fee, so the artist, venue, and website can derive some income for their efforts?

Do you think there is any potential for a higher price for greater download video and audio resolution? I'm not one to limit people to wee video boxes and monaural sound on their computers IF they are willing to help pay for the better capture and broadcast.

It took some time for that excellent series from NYC to take off...what was that, W.54th Street Sessions? Plus, I dropped into the Living Room for a moment on Saturday night, to once again hear their excellent sound system, but they had a less-than inspiring band on-stage when I poked my head through the door.

Any sort of scene that develops here will take some time to root...but I could see it happening with the help of WDET's HD-2 broadcast, or similar.

Right about now we can convince some interested outsiders to influence just such a thing...and more.

Cheers

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon:

I would not be too opposed to paying for the service but I think that if it were done in conjunction with WDET, and having users pay for access to it, would be to maybe have it free to just listen to from the WDET.org website but allow those who contribute to WDET to have greater access (downloads and maybe invitations to events and the like).

I think that this would help out all involved (the musicians, the venues, and WDET). I could see friends of mine who are not big NPR fans tuning into WDET for the simulcasts and then becoming a member in order to download shows.

The venues would benefit because they could begin to build an audience from outside the area (I know the last time I was in D.C. I went to the 9:30 Club to see a concert specifically because I was familiar with it from NPR's All Songs Considered).

And the musicians would benefit from the increased exposure.

I think for a lot of acts, the exposure could be something as minimal as a 15-minute acoustic set at the end of the Detroit Today show or something. I think that starting with the slightly larger national acts that come through town would be wise because it would provide the with the audience they need to get the attendance at their shows that will get them to come back (I went to see Yo La Tengo last winter and there were about 50 people there! If established acts like that cannot get the fans out, acts like Bad Party or Perfect Weiners and Butts will never graduate from Scrummage University).

I imagine these are stations with bigger budgets, but I subscribe to the KEXP and KCRW live in-studio music podcasts (Live Performances and Morning Becomes Eclectic, respectively) and have made modest contributions to those stations even though I live nowhere near them. I just enjoy the product that they offer.

Gannon

Post Number: 13360
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the reply, Dannaroo.

I agree with you on the WDET direction, btw, in SO many ways...but didn't want my pro-'DET bias to affect the discussion. I'm actually listening to other music genres on HD Radio now, to see what they're doing, especially with local programming and advertising.

I think Craggy has done a fantastic job bringing music back to our daytime NPR airwaves! His show has become the not-miss event of my day, usually.

How to derive benefit from the new HD Channel on WDET...one way would be to continue offering the tuners as pledge prizes, but they'd have to be significant donations. It would be nice to line up venues that would donate to the station, if even for a number of nights per year that could be locked up to collect donations from ticket sales...the co-promotion would benefit everyone.

If only they could setup a listener donation service specifically for the HD broadcast, it might even help them gauge the desire for news versus music programming on the analog FM broadcast, if they had one hour of the 'best-of' like they do with DetroitTODAY on the weekend slot it really could become a force.

Cheers...

Gannon

Post Number: 13394
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious way the universe works.

Pretty sure I told someone I wanted to talk with Uncle Buck from WCSX...maybe everyone here, too.

Late yesterday afternoon, Fnemecek and I were discussing a business venture when he got offered tickets to the Mitch Ryder/Mark Farner concert.

We ended up in the VIP of VIP areas, upstairs on the grassy roof deck.

I caught up with Uncle Buck, turns out he doesn't go to many of these events...but HAD to see this one.

Then another fellow I spoke with for a long while turned out to be Willie Wilson (also of ex-WDET fame).

Every time I turn around, I'm in the middle of the people I realize should be on or part of this committee.

Frightening, almost, that the universe is conspiring to make it all happen.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be kewl to have a generic "Detroit Sounds of the Underground" website. Does anything like that exist?

Gannon

Post Number: 13533
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for professional sound guys...every show at the Concert of Colors was tainted by sound issues.

I DO think they are all deaf, and this newfound habit of having two completely separate systems for house and monitor is wasteful, and allows communications gaps between the now doubled-sound-folks.

I think the main problems with Concert of Colors was the attack from the volume knob, ever since Spinal Tap gave us Eleven (it's ONE more than ten) and the general population bought WalkPeople and iPods and loud car stereo...the Sound Pressure Level of concerts (and movies) has gotten out-of-hand.

I now wear earplugs with every concert I attend, because the resultant ear-ringing and long-term ear DAMAGE are unbearable to me. Plus, it greatly increases the anxiety of the listeners beyond agitation, as their bodies fight to protect themselves...I'd bet many are on the verge of that fight-or-flight impulse.

The results of deaf sound guys? In addition to the music being way too loud, the high frequencies are cranked up beyond balance...so they become like a weapon, too. All vocals are shrill to piercing, cymbals are whacked way above the rest of the drums...and in halls designed for acoustic presentation of music, feedback issues arise constantly.

That said, during the Don Was SuperSessions, the juggling of acts with such a quick changeout of connections and occasional gear was VERY IMPRESSIVE. I was going to tease Ralph Valdez about using volunteer sound guys until then...I still may, though.

There is a HUGE difference between what needs be done to launch sound to ten to fifty thousand deaf rockers, and a few hundred to two thousand regular folk out for a weekend concert.

They played everything too loud, and had subsequent feedback issues with EVERY show I saw at the Concert of Colors. Ricky Lee Jones should've been given time for three more songs, since she had to waste time killing feedback...which interrupted the flow of her show. Thornetta almost got PISSED at the feedback on her stage...all the way at the end of the weekend.

If they couldn't figure out the feedback problems on the same stage after three days...it is time to find another sound reinforcement company. I heard they had similar issues last year, my comments are even MORE applicable if that is the case.

Cheers!

Gannon

Post Number: 13570
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump,

I'm beating the bushes for some additional input, and wanted this thread easily accessible for some who might have another two cents to add.

We've covered a good deal of the subject, and I'd love ANY additional perceptions and conclusions...no matter HOW insignificant they may seem to YOU, they mean the world to ME!

Cheers all, happy listening!

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the biggest improvements could be made is for my bums-rushing friends to find ways to make their gigs and do they duty. Oy! The only knock I have on summer is that, like clockwork, 3 or 4 great shows come up, at the last minute (meaning a week before-hand), and ya try to round up some folks. Then it's off to the rodeo:

So-and-so aint got a car. Such-and-such gotta go to a bah-mitzvah. Yakkety-yak is pruning trees that night. The Scoundrels are unrehearsed and suffer severe stage fright, as usual. Oy I says! So screw it, I'm goin' to Derringer with who-and-who. :-)

Ggores

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, so I am not going to Derringer tonight. Dave called and left several messages, was willing to hack his way over to my area in order to get a ride. My ride, The Father Scoundrel, well, he said that Billy got a new guitar and everyone is heading over to his attic to check it out. So I strolled up to Dearbern Music and found "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" CD in the used bin. Awesome. Yeah!
Well, as usual, a conversation began regards playing clubs, siphering out the money, bar-owners and fifths of profit, of no-shows, of what everyone's role is in a vital music industry.

Since I have completely eliminated myself from anything to do with the payout, I have attained a level of satisfaction only dreamt of by many.

Am I rambling, or do I have something sensible to say?

Well, I talk alot of shit, that's for sure.

And at the moment, I think I'm gonna run over to the 'hood and check out Billy's new guitar. Soon as I finish listening to Pipers At The Gates Of Dawn.

ROCK!

Oh, and I am drug-free, so rid your thoughts of that idear. Thanks. Go Tigers!

Gannon

Post Number: 13593
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn, 'cuz that's why I thought I was keeping UP with you...

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores, I picked up that Pipers CD, too, to see if it was any different than an earlier release that I already had. It wasn't. Bought 14 other CDs, though.

Gannon

Post Number: 13783
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been a few weeks, but I'm bumping this so a few of the Music Sector meeting attendees can find it easily!

We're plugging along, trying to secure manageable directions the sub-committees can wander in, gathering all the data they need to try and positively impact the Detroit Music Industry.

Cheers, more later when I've the time.

Ggores

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The copy of Pipers purchased is pretty sweet. No liner notes, no bonus tracks, and no hidden tracks. Just two CDs, one the stereo mix, and the other, the original mono mix. Been a huge Barret-era Floyd fan since age four or five. Yeah, it's like being bopped on the noggin' with a paisley mallet.

Ggores

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L et_It_Loose

:-)

just sayin...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.