Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Meet Algernon McAllister . . . « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 600
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

. . . courtesy of Detroitblogger John.

His latest post, which welt up yesterday, is about "an old dollhouse of a home" and its hardy owner -- "marvelously named Algernon McAllister, a 77-year-old with a soft voice and small stature."
quote:

When the house was built in the 1880s in a German part of town, the pastoral neighborhood around it was another world from what it is now.

x
'It's just me and Babe,' Algernon says.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this guy's blog

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3347
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too. The man is one of the finest writers I've ever come across. I wish I knew who he was.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is one of the best posts ever on detroitblog--very moving. What a sweet old man & interesting house.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4232
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't there groups in the city that help seniors with home repairs? This guy's house sounds like a fire trap. The article mentioned he has 7 children but apparently they don't help him. Sad.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.