Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Sidewalk Map? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to plan various sidewalk based bicycle routes around the eastside to get a little more excercise. Since I don't really have the time nor gas money to drive around town checking for the best sidewalk route, do any of you have a links to map web sites which display sidewalks, as well as streets? I originally tried looking at the satellite view on google maps, to trace the sidewalks, but that became a little too tedious.

Thanks for your input!

p.s. I know some of you may be saying, "grow some nuts and ride in the street." I don't have a problem riding in the middle of a side street, but peddling down the middle of Harper, is a bit dangerous.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.mapmyrun.com is a good tool to use. You click on the satellite or map view and can point and click your desired route. Will show mileage. Can also search for other runs people have mapped out that are nearby.

It doesn't tell you the condition of the road, just the mileage and elevation. But some of the runs people have mapped previously have some detail depending on what has been entered by the users.

I think mapmyride.com is the same thing although I haven't used it.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rap, it's safer to ride on the street; if you don't like the busy roads like Harper, stick to the side streets. The twinned one-way streets, like Kercheval and Charlevoix, work pretty well for a bike ride.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4581
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that's cool - all this time I've been going point to point on mapquest.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5064
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kercheval is two way. Vernor Hwy. and Charlevoix are one-way. Warren and Forest are similar twin one-ways between McClellan and Dequindre.

Mack from St. Jean to Cadieux (and beyond) might be nice for sidewalk biking. You get a little elevation change, too.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I meant Vernor and Charlevoix. I haven't been out that way in almost 12 hours. :-)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a coworker who used to commute downtown from Moross & 94 every day he could via bike. He always seemed to wander his way down to Jefferson and ride in the street. His opinion was he'd rather deal with cars than crackheads.

Dude kept a trunk-mount bike rack so that those of us who lived near him could throw his rack on our cars if the day turned crappy. Was very kind guy - always provided a couple bucks for gas if someone took him back, and never ever had to ask him.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 577
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As has already been said, studies find the roads to be significantly safer to bike than sidewalks. That includes both major and minor roads.

As for routes, make sure you include the Conner Creek Greenway. It currently runs from Harper north to the airport on the west side of Conner.

The Mt. Olivet cemetery is another option if you want a quiet and safe ride with almost no traffic.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 973
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riding in the street always causes me problems. Cars honking, people swearing at you to "get on the sidewalk", and the occasional person who pulls off to "teach you a lesson". It is considered rude by Michigan motorists, to ride in the streets (whether legal or not).

If you ride in the street, you are asking for trouble. I've learned this one to many times. I would go so far to say that jay walking is more tolerated than riding in the streets.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ride in the street, and I barely have any trouble at all. I tend to favor roads that don't have a pile of traffic, though. For instance when I was in the Royal Oak area I liked to use the half-mile roads. In Detroit, shoot, there are a lot of through streets that have barely any traffic.

Detroit commissioned a nonmotorized transportation study in 2006 and the planner recommended a network of on-street routes, mainly through the implementation of bike lanes. I don't think anything's been done with it so far, though. I heard about something going on in Corktown but the original request here was from an east-sider so that won't help much.

By the way, one of the benefits of being hard of hearing (which I am) is that cars honking and people yelling don't bother me. If I happen to know somebody is yelling at me, I smile benignly and wave at them.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I occasionally have some ding ding, usually a young passenger, yelling at me to ride on the sidewalk, but not enough for me to really be bothered by it.

I was once riding from Ann Arbor to Downtown on Michigan Ave.and had a cop honk at me to get on the sidewalk. I thought all surface streets were legal for bikes to ride on, I believe it was in Inkster or Westland. Anyone know what the real truth is. Ive always wondered if that cop was in the wrong.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Michigan law requires bikes to share the road, and most of Michigan is US 12, not under local control.

I love the half mile roads, also the side streets that go through, especially if they have a light at the major crossroads. Outer Drive is good, too. I don't like to ride on the sidewalk as there are too many hazards, people backing out of driveways and not looking for something as fast as a bike on the sidewalk, little kids playing, pedestrians, and all those curbs.

This site has some routes with info:

http://www.bikely.com/listpath s/country/254/region/144/city/ 9052

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"It's not just a matter of courtesy; motorists are required to accommodate bicyclists they encounter on Michigan roads," said MDOT Director Kirk T. Steudle. "We all must be ready to slow down and be cautious when approaching bicycles on the road."

MDOT put out their first bike-friendly press release that I have seen in a while.
http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0 ,1607,7-151-9620-195030--,00.h tml

W_chicago
Username: W_chicago

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Within the Grand Blvd's its easier to get around via bike than by car, and often times faster (especially when you include parking). And I've never had a problem riding on the road. But I can say I do avoid riding on Woodward, Warren, Mack, Gratiot, Jefferson, and other major roads. But fortunately (unlike many suburbs) there are many, many, many alternative routes to get anywhere.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 578
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bikes are allowed on all Michigan roads except limited-access highways.

quote:

Detroit commissioned a nonmotorized transportation study in 2006 and the planner recommended a network of on-street routes, mainly through the implementation of bike lanes. I don't think anything's been done with it so far...

The plan was accepted by Traffic Engineering. However, I don't believe the City has begun implementing it. Our Detroit Greenways group is hoping to change that. Stay tuned.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2580
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you ride in the street, you are asking for trouble. I've learned this one to many times. I would go so far to say that jay walking is more tolerated than riding in the streets."

How the hell do the bike couriers get around?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riding down Woodward today, someone yelled "get the fuck outta da street", I ignored him, kept on riding. About a mile later I chose to ride on the sidewalk for a few blocks and someone yells "get the fuck off the sidewalk" I was crackin up.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be thankful that in Detroit bicycles are allowed on the sidewalk, and start a campaign to clean up the glass on the sidewalk so that sidewalks become viable for bikes.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I know it is a michigan law not a city ordinance that states a bicycle is to be rode on the street unless a direct adjacent path is provided for mixed us or bicycles only. This mixed use path would not include sidewalks. The difference is a child under a certain age is allowed legally to ride on the sidewalk.

I get the "get off the road" many times, and I have had people try to run me off the road as well even though no one else was on a 6 lane road and I was in the far right parking lane.

My theory is the more people ride on the sidewalks the more drivers feel that is where bicyclists should ride. The more bikes on the road the more drivers will get used to the concept.

The only thing is if you are riding on the road you should follow the laws, stick to the right lane unless turning, hand signal, stop at stop signs and traffic lights. If you are not then you might cause more people to not appreciate bikes on the road.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 581
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Troy, FYI: We changed state law to remove that part about bicyclists being required to use sidepaths.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a Detroit Area bicyclist group/association (non-government based)?

Washington DC has a very active one, WABA (Washington Area Bicyclist Assoc). I received a free one-year membership with my bicycle from City Bikes. Because of that free membership, I receive email updating me on their projects around town. They have strong, effective community service.

WABA's Mission Statement:
The mission of the Washington Area Bicyclist Association is to create a healthy, more livable region by promoting bicycling for fun, fitness, and affordable transportation; advocating for better bicycling conditions and transportation choices for a healthier environment, and educating children, adults, and motorists about safe bicycling.

WABA (Washington Area Bicyclist Association)

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 582
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now the one that's been taking a lead on Detroit biking is the Michigan Trails and Greenways Alliance (MTGA), www.michigantrails.org. I work for them as the Detroit Greenways Coordinator and my role is to help 8 different Detroit groups build trails. My role is also to promote connections between these trails and within the region.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 989
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scott & Django,

I did that until some guy pulled up ahead of me, and tried kicking my behind for smiling or waving to him. Apparently, he thought it was to much disrespect for him to handle. I just moved it to the left turn lane... but still, I don't want to deal with that again.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.