Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit article in UK Telegraph « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 598
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

America and China: The Eagle and the Dragon Part two: Requiem for a dream

Once symbolic of optimism and certainty, America's credit-crunched suburbs may be facing a decline as dramatic as that of Detroit, itself once a beacon of industry. Mick Brown and the photographer Alec Soth continue their investigation into the contrasting fortunes of the US and China

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/por tal/main.jhtml?xml=/portal/200 8/07/05/sm_america05.xml

Lots to digest in this article; I need to read part one too, I guess. Didn't see it discussed here yet.

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its the British press. I wouldn't pay any attention to them. They have an unhealthy fascination with anything American and love to write how bad it is.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4594
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They must not have read the reports of the knife-wielding killer in China yesterday. A growing wage gap is causing problems there are violence is on the rise.

Seriously - 5 cops killed by a lone guy with a knife?

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 599
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look, it's not just another, "OMG Detriot suxx" diatribe by someone who has never been here, I think this is a well-written piece about the bigger picture of manufacturing decline, sprawl, and issues faced by all American cities. The four-part series uses the rise of China as the foil.

"...not only a synonym for urban decay, but a repository of all of America's most intractable problems: the decline of manufacturing and the threat of competition from overseas; racial tensions; a housing market decimated by the subprime mortgage crisis."

Part one was about life in Virginia and W. Va., where jobs are gone, and military recruitment is seen as the way out. It's at times a rambling piece, I think, and I'm hoping parts 3 and 4 tie in the China issue like the theme promises.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rambling? It was pretty darned long, I thought it was odd how they did not tie it up at the end, its like it is missing a conclusion.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an old-and ridiculous piece-I can say that since my neighbor has to deal with the Tent City they go off on, but painting that to their readers(slipping in a pointless Reagan-bashing? If they went to the History Museum a mere 3 miles West of there they'd see Ronnie's Solid Gold Iron!) as "This Is America" is more like "England's Dreaming" to me

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this was a fascinating article with many truths, interesting to read from his perspective. Obviously not the full picture of detroit, but certainly an interesting discussion of surburbia.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like alec soth's work though, I wonder how in charge he was of the editorial choice of images. Though the images may just fit in the standard romanticization or hackneyed portrayal of Detroit ruins, they somehow pull through with their amazing formality and choice of scenes...

(Message edited by mpow on July 02, 2008)

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is the photographer's website. http://www.alecsoth.com he has a great series and book covering the mississippi and niagra falls.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5229
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Mpow...I've been thinking lately that Detroit is the proverbial Canary in the coal mine for the decline of American Civilization, and the shrinking of the middle class; this story strengthens that idea.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.