Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Dumbest Quotes of the City Hall Scandal « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What I think it will do is get a bit more publicity for the council. This is one of the most highly publicized councils in the history of Detroit. They say if you're not doing anything, they're not saying anything about you."--Martha Reeves as quoted by Rochelle Riley, Free Press, July 1

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She obviously still thinks she's a performer and not a public official. 'Any publicity is good publicity'

Eastsidechris

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How would I have concern if I don't know anything about anything?" [Truer words have never been spoken, Martha.] "How could I be concerned if I don't have any idea of what's going on? I'll get informed. I'll catch up." [That would be a first, Martha.]--Martha Reeves, as quoted in the Freep on July 1 about voting Yes for the Synagro project.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one comes from the Monica Conyers / Shrek BS. She was being interviewed by Huel Perkins on Fox 2 and he asks "Don't you think this behavior makes Detroit look bad" She replies "Ohhhh Detroit already looked bad".

Eastsidechris

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He's like a Svengali. He can hypnotize you when he talks to you."--Barbara (or is it Baaaaabara?)- Rose Collins, explaining how KK followed her into Southern Fires on Monday and convinced her to change her no to a yes for selling the tunnel.

BRC, a word of advice: treat the mayor with the same regard you would for a questionable used car salesman, and you'll find he isn't so convincing. And, remember Obi-Wan Kenobi's advice to Luke Skywalker, Jedi mind tricks can only work on the feeble-minded. But unless your tiara works as some sort of hypnotism defense shield, you're a lost cause anyway.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This is a deliberative body," intoned the rhinestone councilwoman, "and I think we should carry ourselves with decorum." --Barbara Rose Collins (re: The Detroit City Council's refusal to hear the budget presentation by Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick). Mind you, she said this in her birthday tiara.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barbara is so sweet, it's hard to hate her for her perceived stupidity. I really don't think she's stupid, but man some of these comments? I was squirming in the car this morning listening to wdet. They played that "Svengali" thing 3 times during a 25 minute commute.

Anyone remember that commercial when she re-ran for office last time? It was her in overalls with a fishing pole slung over her shoulder, walking on the banks of Belle Isle, reminiscing about fishing as a kid. TOTALLY LAUGHABLE... but I just want to hug her.

How does she get away with it? Hahahahah

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13285
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because we let her.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nevermind. No hugging...no not at all.

"She also caused considerable controversy after she fired a homosexual aide because she was afraid that he might carry AIDS[citation needed]. The aide filed a grievance, and won back pay and reimbursement of legal expenses from Collins."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B arbara-Rose_Collins

Now that's stupid and not cute at all... Someone slap me.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not at all cute. She plays sweet and innocent, but she knows exactly what it is she's doing. Shameful.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7452
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Control yo house!" - Monica Conyers (circa Shrek incident)

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We could save ourselves a lot of time by just listing the INTELLIGENT quotes from City Hall.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13292
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but laughter IS the best medicine.

We need this.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, the best medicine would be a little arsenic in the city council and mayoral coffee pot.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gannon, the best medicine would be a little arsenic in the city council and mayoral coffee pot.

Now now

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The beer is on me! Go Wed Wings!" - Mayor Kilpatrick trying to work his Jedi-like, hypnotic mind control and woo mentally weak suburbanites to his side.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 414
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rob - hahahahahahhahaha

A classic!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone recall BRC's claim to be a member of MENSA. I believe she was in Washington DC at the time as a representative.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nobody wants a white woman in Lansing to decide the fate of a black man in Detroit. That's why I'm begging you to resign." - JoAnn Watson

...Because this is, after all, a race issue, right?????

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Sorry, that quote wasn't related to the current scandal, but it's still a HOF council quote.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6083
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, I recall the Detroit News reporting that at the impromptu meeting between Rose-Collins and Kilpatrick at the restaurant, Collins remarked to the News:

"He could sell ice to an Eskimo," Collins said of the mayor. "He can just hypnotize you when you talk to him."

I couldn't believe that when I read it; you know, that anyone would publically admit to being that weak-minded and pliable. She reduces herself to something less than an equal to the other party. I want to shake her and tell her "damn, women; you're a freakin' Detroit city council member, not some 50's housewife being sold a stack of Encyclopedia."

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 941
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The whole thing is not good for Michigan." - Governor Obvious

Eastsidechris

Post Number: 251
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Barbara-Rose Collins in today's News:
She said she always thought there was nothing to rumors of a federal investigation at City Hall.
"(Councilwoman) Sheila (Cockrel) has told me for a couple of years that the FBI was here looking around," Collins said. "I thought she was paranoid."

But of course...why would the FBI have ever had any suspicions about shenanigans at City Hall, especially when they have a field office in the city? BRC looks like some kind of Pollyanna right now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.