Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Is Detroit Zoo in financial trouble? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 620
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received this email, does anyone know if it's true?

"The zoo is now in big trouble. When the city of Detroit turned over operations to the Zoological society, it also stopped all funding to the zoo. It's been operating the last 2 years on a one time grant from the state which was part of the agreement when the city gave up control over the zoo. Well, that money is about to run out, so to try and secure the future of the zoo they'll be a tax proposal on the ballot this August.
The first thing people will think is 'no new taxes' but this is a very modest tax and it has ABSOLUTELY no hidden clauses or increases over time, it will cost the average home owner $5.00 - $10.00 a year, about the price of one fast food meal! This will secure the future of the zoo for generations to come. I'm asking that you forward this to family, friends and co-workers in the tri-county area to ask for their support on this 08/05/08 ballot proposal. If this doesn't pass, the zoo will more than likely close for good on 08/06/08.
To me, this would be a tragedy I can't even comprehend. If you haven't been in a while, I encourage you to visit this summer and see first hand some of the wonderful improvements made in the last 2 years, the new animals, the baby animals and the beautiful grounds. The Society has done an amazing job these first 2 years and in talking to some of the workers and volunteers, I've come to know over the past 3 years, future plans will continue to improve the zoo and surely make it known as one of America's top zoo's! I'll pass on more info as I get it. Thanks for reading this and I hope that you feel our zoo is a resource worth keeping around for many more generations to come !
The Funding Needed

In mid-2006 the City of Detroit turned over full responsibility of governance, management and operation of the Detroit Zoo and Belle Isle Nature Zoo to the Detroit Zoological Society.
At transition, the City of Detroit 's annual subsidy ceased creating a financial gap

To close the funding gap and reach long-term financial stability the Zoo must:
Continue to increase earned revenues and efficiently manage expenses
Continue to increase contributed income
Secure a long-term, sustainable source of public funding

The Proposal

A 0.10 of a mill property tax in Macomb , Oakland and Wayne county.
Anticipated to be on the August 2008 ballot
Will provide stable funding for annual Zoo operations and maintenance beginning early 2009
Cost to the average owner of a $200,000 home about $10 per year."

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7449
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is true.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7450
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080617/POLIT ICS/806170324

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it'll be up to the public and we'll see what happens. What the zoo has in its favor is that the vote is in August, when turnout is light - so if the zoo can rally its supporters, it has a good chance. (I'm not aware of any organized opposition that exists which could try to rally the "no" votes.)

Working against it, of course, is the miserable local economy which appears to remain in free-fall.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7453
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really hope the Zoo stays open. It is much nicer than it used to be. The Arctic Ring of Life exhibit is really cool, as is the new Amphibiville. And now they have the Giraffe Encounter and lots of other improvements. I was at the Sunset at the Zoo fundraising event a couple weeks ago, it was record attendance (and a ton of fun). So hopefully that means they will get a lot of support.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4234
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If this doesn't pass, the zoo will more than likely close for good on 08/06/08.

I find this part hard to believe. I think they would continue to look for financing in other areas.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that we need to get Leon Drolet on the case for this preposterous tax increase. I have no need for a zoo and I sure as hell don't want my tax dollars paying for something that doesn't benefit me personally. C'mon, who is with me on this?

Just kidding, sorry.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 939
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact it's in the suburbs helps it a ton with this getting passed. I think the Zoo vote will pass. I'm a member, and although it's not quite like some other Zoos, with a stable budget they can invest more in improvements.

Our region needs things like this to keep up the quality of life.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7455
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beyond being a source of entertainment and education, today's Zoos also serve as an "Ark" for dissapearing species. Zoos across the United States are helping ensure that many species of frogs that are dissapearing into extinction rapidly right now will still have some breedable samples of the species.

More information on the "Amphibian Ark" and the 2008 Year of the Frog.

http://www.amphibianark.org/

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13291
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One small way to support the zoo, even if you are NOT a fan of gawking at caged creatures, is to use their EXCELLENT 250-seat auditorium they recently built.

It has some of the finest acoustics of any venue in town, probably only beat by Orchestra Hall in my professional opinion, and is actually quite cheap.

There is an adjacent room large enough for hosting a dinner, or meet-n-greet afterglow, and their security is TOPS.

Plus, they ARE at the cross-roads of the metro area...I-696 and Woodward couldn't be more accessible to everyone.

Cheers!

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think old style zoos of the 20th century represent a thing of the past. The caging of exotic animals out of their natural habitat is beginning to seem, at least in my view, not worth the educational value. I think we should look closer at maintaining the natural habitats for native species we have in this region before we fund artificial habitats for exotic species.

I think there is a case for the Detroit Zoo in this educational arena but it should start to distance itself from the circus-like presentation of animals outside their natural habitat.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7458
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mbr, the Zoo has been making those steps for years. They got rid of the elephants because Detroit is not a good environment for them, and the concrete floors of their winter shelter are bad for their knees and feet. The Polar bears now roam freely in the Arctic Ring of Life, many times the size of their old habitats, and the apes and chimps have large expansive habitats as well. You are right, the old style Zoos are out, but our Zoo has been keeping up pretty well.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, I don't think there are any other areas these days. Who would pay for it if not the public in the region? Detroit let go of it; Michigan certainly isn't going to fund it, so who's left?

I don't think the zoo closing is a bluff. I think if we as a region vote yes, it stays open, and if we vote no, it closes.

Pam

Post Number: 4236
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam, I don't think there are any other areas these days. Who would pay for it if not the public in the region? Detroit let go of it; Michigan certainly isn't going to fund it, so who's left?

I don't think the zoo closing is a bluff. I think if we as a region vote yes, it stays open, and if we vote no, it closes.

Memberships, corporate sponsors. No doubt that they need the tax, but would they close the very next day without a fight? I doubt it. Their website doesn't say anything about that.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

COSI in Toledo closed because the voters did not approve a millage request.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Johnlodge, I haven't been to the zoo in about 8 years so I probably need to actually see for myself to form a better opinion.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7459
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Memberships, corporate sponsors. No doubt that they need the tax, but would they close the very next day without a fight? I doubt it. Their website doesn't say anything about that.

Their membership office is definitely working overtime. And everyone who is anyone in SE Michigan is a Benefactor. There really aren't many new sources of revenue to tap. Corporate-wise, Chrysler gave them some good money to refurbish the railroad, as did the Tauber Family who it is now named after.

http://www.detroitzoo.org/News flashes/2008_Press_Releases/De troit_Zoological_Society_Annou nces_Gift_From_The_Chrysler_Fo undation/

They are trying, and they will continue trying. But it may not be enough.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7460
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, I will probably be attending this event:

http://www.detroitzoo.org/News flashes/2008_Press_Releases/Fa ll_in_Love_with_the_Zoo_All_Ov er_Again_at_Summer_Zoomance/

A chance for adults to enjoy the Zoo without all the kids and admission is only $5.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7461
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Zoo to release captive-reared endangered butterflies into Monroe County:
http://www.detroitzoo.org/News flashes/2008_Press_Releases/De troit_Zoo_and_Michigan_DNR_to_ Release_Captive-Reared_Karner_ Blue_Butterflies_into_the_Wild /

Detroit Zoo to release 2,000 endangered toads into the wild:
http://www.detroitzoo.org/News flashes/2008_Press_Releases/De troit_Zoo_Releases_2%2C000_Pue rto_Rican_Crested_Toads/

This is some of the stuff you don't hear about that the Zoo does. Zoos are not just about walking around and pointing at animals anymore.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the name Leon Drolet should be banned from ever being mentioned on this forum. That man has never done anything to help this state at all, or region for that matter.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the money, this is what DZS says:

"The DZS has an annual operating budget of $24 million dollars to operate the Detroit Zoo and the Belle Isle Nature Zoo in fiscal 2009. The City of Detroit was the source of a direct annual operating subsidy for 77 years. The current budget has one-third coming from earned revenue (admissions, parking, concessions, rides, rentals); one-third from contributed income (donations, memberships, sponsorships, grants) and one-third from a newly proposed public funding source."

What that means is there's about an $8 million gap which the voters are being asked to fill. Ominously, farther down in their FAQ page, they fail to answer this thread's basic open question:

[Q] What happens if the tax doesn’t pass?
[A] We believe the community understands the value of this regional gem and will support this measure to secure the Zoo’s future.

My take on that non-answer is that plan B is so bad they don't want to admit publicly what it is.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the Zoo is no longer funded by Detroit, can I expect a decrease in my tax bill? The way I see it, I should be able to vote yes and still pay less taxes! :-)

Ongowwah
Username: Ongowwah

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob: (quote)I think the name Leon Drolet should be banned from ever being mentioned on this forum. That man has never done anything to help this state at all, or region for that matter.

Better include Governess Jennifer Grandstand along with him then. As far as the Zoo, too bad, when Ron "PETA" Kagen got rid of the elephants that was the beginning of the end.

Pam

Post Number: 4239
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Better include Governess Jennifer Grandstand along with him then. As far as the Zoo, too bad, when Ron "PETA" Kagen got rid of the elephants that was the beginning of the end.

Quote from the link above:

quote:

The Detroit Zoological Society has kept the 125-acre zoo at 10 Mile and Woodward afloat with budget cuts, a boost in attendance and $4 million from the state. The society itself doesn't have the authority to levy taxes.

Well, they still got state money and people are still coming to see the other animals, so what is your point?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7472
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, you, Ongowah, and I already had this debate. :-) He apparently still hasn't recovered from the deep wounds of not being able to see elephants crammed in a small space and get arthritis from standing on concrete all winter.

Pam

Post Number: 4240
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam, you, Ongowah, and I already had this debate. He apparently still hasn't recovered from the deep wounds of not being able to see elephants crammed in a small space and get arthritis from standing on concrete all winter.

Yes, I remember. I see how effective we were.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.