Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Bicycle neighborhood « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is bad timing to mention this with this bike license thing going on, but i have always wondered would there ever be a neighborhood that is only accessible to bicycles, i think it would help out with lowering peoples dependability of having to drive their cars all the time and everywhere. Is there any populated area in the US that is like that?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 732
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever heard of Mackinac Island?

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those wild & crazy Amish folks come pretty close, too..

Dunno what the big deal with the bike licensing thing is..go pay the lousy buck already!
:-)

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the deal with the bicycle license thing is that there are more pressing needs for police than targeting kids, or adults for that matter, for bicycle licenses.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13324
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, be a good sheep.

Because they will hassle you in the near future, guaranteed.

It is all about the money, and making sure people behave according to their designs.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound, no "populated areas in the US" that I know of. Some places internationally, though. Bikes are more popular in Europe and Asia. You will often find areas, especially in the old part of the town (narrow roads), off-limits to cars.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's only a buck..and it might help you recover a stolen bike someday. Agreed that cops have got better things to do than enforce unenforcable laws, but really, who can't afford to drop a hundred pennies once every five years?

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever been to Amsterdam? People drive cars there, but there are so many more bicycles than cars, it's amazing. The city's layout is such that a bicycle is the best way to get around. It's not uncommon to see 30 bicycles stacked against a sign -- or to get hit by a bicycle when you are exiting a store. You have to stay alert.

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the subject of the bicycle license, I'm actually in favor of it. It's only a dollar, they're giving us plenty of time to get it done, and if it helps return stolen bikes to their rightful owners, then that's great.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 586
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bicycle-only neighborhood sounds good until your house is on fire or you need emergency medical care. Bike ambulances aren't so good. :-)

Perhaps what you'd be more interested in is a neighborhood where bicycles are given preference over cars. That is happening in parts of the U.S. using what's called bicycle boulevards. These bicycle boulevards try to reduce car traffic (primarily cut-through traffic); reduce car speeds (bringing them closer to bicycle speeds); and reduce bicycle stops. It encourages bicycling while making neighborhood streets quieter and safer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B icycle_Boulevards

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I recall correctly, a lot of the bicycles in Amsterdam are municipally owned. Cuts down on thieving.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, from what I have heard, as far as European cities go, Amsterdam is rather bad for bike thefts. Copenhagen, say, is much better.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

berlin is also a HUGE biking city, i was just there last week and was dumbfounded at the number of people on bikes and biking infastructure there.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what gets people on bikes: a biking infrastructure. That's what we lack.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.