Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Best Restaurant at Eastern Market? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suggestions?

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butchers Inn. Fab Grand Marnier pancakes.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13331
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all depends upon what you want.

Not a one of 'em are bad.

I'm most fond of the breakfasts at Zeff's, but others are not happy with the decor and extremely tight booths. If any in your party are physically large, they will be very uncomfortable. They also have great lunches, especially the overloaded Zeff's Grille which will put you into the most wonderful food coma you've ever had.

Next door, patrons wait in line to sit cafeteria-style for some amazing breakfasts, too. I won't ever wait in a line, and we laugh at those who sit outside in the wintertime. Those fellows and their food are outstanding, arguably the best breakfasts in town...but not enough to wait, IMHO. Why can't I remember their name? Next to Zeff's...silly noggin...oh yeah, the Russell Street Deli. They cater, too, so if the lines and cafeteria style seating bug you...or you've got a big meeting to feed lunch to, this is the place.

Across the street but perpendicular to Russell, Butchers serves up great breakfasts, too, and they can sell you beer and liquor as soon as the state laws let 'em. Don can be a little megalomaniacal at times, but I've grown to love his idiosyncrasies. If you get there too late, he switches over to lunch, with a scowl! Food has always been good and decor comfortable, although I'd swear the booths were made to a similar dimension as Zeff's! At least they have tables that can accommodate larger parties, best to call ahead though.

Farmers has a great rep, but I've been disappointed when I've gone there, compared to the above three. Still, it is tradition for some. Decor is similar to Zeff's, like they've not improved anything since the fifties...formica rules. I will give them another chance because SO many people just adore them.

Come to think of it...none of 'em are exactly up-to-date with decor. H-m-m-n-n, not exactly like they don't make the coin, I suspect they just never want to shut down for construction!

Then there is the relatively new Louie's up on Mack...the edge of the neighborhood. Best decor. Always busy, lotsa buzz, and the food is great. Service is usually spot on, too. I live around the block from them but will still walk a half mile down to Zeff's to visit my friends instead. I dunno, we forget about them unless my Corktown Aunt is in the group!

Vivios opens a little later, but I've NEVER been disappointed by their food, plus they're a bar so the notes for Butchers applies here too...they make the Mother of all Bloody Mary's for your Saturday morning hangovers...and you'd have to be Genghis Khan or Hitler to not be welcome in the joint. It is my hangout, especially when the best bartender in the whole universe is tipping and pouring, Heather Hurley, although that last name may change when she ties the knot and finally dashes all of our friendly dreams in September.

Vivios does a shuttle to all the ballgames, so it is always busy then, just make SURE to tip the driver Mark...we go back to Wayne State in the mid-eighties.

For lunch and dinner, your options are slim but exemplary as well. If you catch them before they close, Vivios serves up better-than-average bar fare and more...I've got a thing for their French Onion soup, and the burgers never fail. The Caesar Salad kicks it...actually none of us have ever had a bad dish...and you can get loud if you wanna, as long as you're laughing.

Bert's has great bar-b-que and soul food that also induces that aforementioned food coma, and the atmosphere is really fun when the stage is jumping. Musically, Bert's rates up with the finest venues in town...although you'd NEVER guess it with the decor in his main room during the day.

The Motown room next door should be done by now completely, and will certainly become a destination dining spot...with even higher-end music on their stage...classier than next door. I'll check when I can, it's been a few months since I've been.

There is a Coney Island next door that I've NEVER been to, but they get decent reviews for lunch and close well before dinner.

Come to think of it, Louie's closes early too, gotta check those hours.

Now for the cream of the lunch and dinner crop...at the north end of the strip, book-ending my garage door...are what I consider the finest Thai in town, Sala Thai, with decor that will wow the toughest critic and service for both Thai and Sushi that never, ever fails. If your date isn't charmed there, she might already be dead. Assume the LOWER of the spice choice if you think you cannot handle it, they are honest when they warn you. I get mine Extra Hot, but occasionally On Fire...and the enamel on my teeth burns. Amazingly great food, ask Tommy at the register to tell you today's joke.

A few hundred feet further down the road is the oldest restaurant in the city, Roma Cafe, where tuxedo'd waiters will serve you old style...after the doorman parks your car...some of the finest Italian food I've ever had. Certainly some will argue that Marios and those others nearer to Melvindale/Dearborn do it as well or better...you didn't ask that.

They have a Monday buffet for any who might want to try without getting the personal attention from Dave or any of the other fantastic waiters. Tell Dave I sent you, and he will do something special...it is never the same twice. Ryan behind the bar has seen it all, and might tell you a bit about it. Bring up sailing, make him smile.

What did I miss?

Gannon

Post Number: 13332
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those Grand Marnier pancakes...or is it French Toast?...are probably the definitive celebratory breakfast in the neighborhood, you're right, Scooter.

Carry-out menu says Toast...

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 580
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...you didn't miss one...and I agree totally with your review. We usually go to Zeff's because Vivio's opens too late (We get started at Eastern Mkt every Sat. at around 6 a.m., when Zeff's opens). But Vivio's is great and Shirley Vivio is always welcoming and if you go regularly, she doesn't forget you. As far as Vivio's bartenders, I'm partial to Shelley Torgerson. Her friendliness will warm many a cold, dismal Saturday morning.
I like Louie's, but agree it is out of the way for most marketeers. Service is great there and I always like to see the parking lot crowded. Glad Butchers reopened this year, but their hours aren't convenient for my group. Russell Street, next door to Zeff's, seems too pretentious. We too laugh st those who prefer to stand in line outside waiting for a table rather than go next door to Zeff's and eat with the common folks.
Berts is a entertainment institution, a place everyone should experience. Especially jazz and blues lovers.
The Roma Cafe has so much history oozing out of it you don't want to sit with your back to the door. It is better than Mario's.
And as for Sal Thai. It is the best Thai restaurant around. A former firehouse, the transformation into a restaurant is astounding. You will leave impressed...with the food and the service. We usually stop by on Sundays after 10:30 Mass at Sacred Heart.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right Gannon...got my taste buds going and got confused. French toast is the king at Butchers Inn.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 537
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What no meat cutter's the most burger for the buck anywhere in the city

Gannon

Post Number: 13333
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ddaydave,

I've been into Joey's only a few times, thought about that joint when driving after I wrote it earlier...I've only drank there, if you asked me IF they had food I'd have to puzzle about it.

I don't think I've EVER seen anyone eat there, but I'm a late starter...that's why I know Vivio's stops their grille earlier so to be aware.

They DO have the best bathrooms in any bar I've ever been in this side of Slows...heh...and that is probably the SAFEST place in the market because there are usually some police officers and firefolk chillin' after their shifts.

After finally eating at Russell Street, I'll yield them their pretention...the food IS great. They went through an ownership change within the past year or two as far as I know, and the young fellows who took it over are REALLY doing a great job with the place.

I live in the restored fire maintenance building attached to Sala Thai, and feel I'll be here for the rest of my life. Knew that the moment I saw it, when it looked like it had been bombed...cannot explain it!

No dissing Shelley, I love her, too...but the afternoon we buried my mother I stopped into Vivios...and even though it was only my second time in the place, within five steps across her field of view, Heather somehow knew and RAN around the bar and nearly tackled me with a hug.

A good bartender is so much more than a bottle juggler...and there is nothing like having a corner bar where they all know your name.

65, if you go to Zeff's that early on a Saturday morning, we've been booth neighbors. I'm the guy with the long hair, who brings in honey for everyone to share (you've just got to ask 'em)...with my Friends from Livonia and whomever else joins us...it is now tradition, we only skip when the place will be overwhelmed by special events!

Cheers, hope to meet you someday.

Anyone else coming up to Roma or Sala Thai, knock on those huge yellow garage doors in the Thai food lot...I may just come out and chat! Welcome to my 'hood...always.

Unless, of course, you're breaking windows.

Cincinnati_kid
Username: Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Cutters bar and grille also. Great burgers.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 750
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a delicious pita sausage sandwich go to the sausage/fish market between Vivio's and the wine store. It's a great value for the money. They are made to order with your choice ± 3 types of sausage, cheese, lettuce, and tomato.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 538
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr I stop in that market for the pitas and I think one of the girls behind the counter is a cutie so I get my eye candy at the same time

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 615
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you still get a good bucket of steamed clams down there anywhere? There used to be a good seafood restaurant that I used to go to but it went out of business.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 249
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was hoping someone would mention Flat Planet--it's an unusually good pizza.

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flat Planet is closed.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 680
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag- Vivios has the steamed mussells

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Louisiana Creole on Gratiot.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn . . . Flat Planet lasted quite a while.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, Have you tried the new wood-fired pizza place at EM? Don't remember the name.

Stromberg2

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butchers the staff are great, particularly the cook...but the owner is very odd. I've introduced myself to him 20 times, just spacey. And on more than one occasion not very nice at all. Grand Marnier French toast is fabulous. They also have some music nights that I've been too that were not bad at all. Wifi upstairs.

On a totally positive note, Russel Street's food is the best, Farmer's Restaurant's sausage is the best, Zeff's grilled chicken ommellette is awesome, Louie's for corn beef hash, and viv's for booze.

Try them all...don't bother introducing yourself to the Butcher's owner...ahem. (a few of us call it, light-heartedly, "Bitches in." hahaha oh I'm so witty).

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5080
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to try that place, too, Stromberg.

Zeff's is great, and good prices too.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farmers Restaurant has outstanding sausages. When I worked in Eastern Market, I used to hang out on Friday at Joey's Meatcutter's Inn. I think it is just called Cutter's now. Back then it was delightfully sleazy.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 684
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sumas- you must be talking about the linguire shows?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2925
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butcher's Inn...their Corned Beef Hash, made fresh, is awesome! Although it's not always on the menu, it's worth driving for!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the McDonalds at Mack and Rivard.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 913
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sala seems to have gone down hill.
Anyone else feel the same?

Russel st. deli is delicious and one of the few places in town where the food is fresh and healthy.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike's 5.00 lunch deals are the best deal in EM. That's my opinion. Choice of food drink fries slaw.

Also go to the BBQ just west of Mikes, absolutely good shit. A buck or two more but worth it.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking about the place on Mack with the pink neon pig sign?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.