Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » CityFest - Have you gone? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4978
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spent the whole day yesterday, what a great festival! Music and food and my peeps.

I wish they hadn't put the barnyard animals in the Park Stage area though. It was cute while they were actually there, but the stench lingered for the rest of the night.

I had never seen Doug Deming and the JewelTones before, now I'm a fan.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went Thursday and Friday - and would have gone Wednesday had it not been for the rain. I went for the Zombies, Broken Social Scene and Detroit bands and stayed for the roasted sweet corn. Lawdy, lawdy! Is that stuff ever good. Best seven tickets I've ever spent - though I still have no idea exactly how much I was paying for the damn things.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 276
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ears of sweet corn run 25 cents a piece at Randazzo's.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4980
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calexico was really good.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Randazzo's isn't in Detroit and doesn't feature live music, neat booths of wares and - maybe cuz I've never been there - isn't outdoors.
Besides, did I mention this corn was roasted? Mmm.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Randazzo's isn't in Detroit"

There's a location on 7 Mile & Outer Drive.

Joe Randazzo's Fruits & Vegetables Detroit

Also, 3 more locations are in surrounding suburbs.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 06, 2008)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh. The point isn't where the store is, the point is a veggie market isn't the same thing as a nearly week-long outdoor festival, OK?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2699
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk, you were making a point?

Heck, I could always just stay at home, only spend a 25 cents of my money to have the same fun you had instead of spending cash on something I know hardly anything about.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4981
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to spend more gas money to go down later today. George Clinton and PFunk, excellent local music, happy Detroiters, another perfect day.

It's a sad commentary on our fair city when I'm the optimist in the thread!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2700
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Oldrefordette, at least you have your priorities straight. It is a perfect day, warm, not too dry/humid, and not a cloud in the sky.

I'm optimistic about your point. Parliament-Funkadelics made some of the best music ever. :-)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Heck, I could always just stay at home, only spend a 25 cents of my money to have the same fun you had instead of spending cash on something I know hardly anything about.

DR, you could do that but a) part of doing this is for the experience, which you cannot get at home under any circumstances and b) I highly doubt that you can actually roast corn without setting the entire thing on fire. But by your mindset, neither of these points are important, so good luck roasting the corn.

(Message edited by SCS100 on July 06, 2008)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2702
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100,

1. I have no idea what experience Rhymeswithrawk had with Zombies and a broken social scene. I always thought it was to support the C of D and feel the vibrancy in the crowds. He doesn't even know why he paid for 7 tickets (nor how much they cost).

2. Here's one of many at-home reciped that you can use to roast sweet corn without setting the entire thing on fire.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess DetroitRise is trying to be funny, but he's failing miserably.
Here I thought most people had a favorable impression on TasteFest/CityFest. Unbelievable, though not surprising that there are naysayers on this board for everything.
You hate puppies and sunshine, too, DR?

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on July 06, 2008)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...Zombies, Broken Social Scene and Detroit bands and stayed for the roasted sweet corn. Lawdy, lawdy! Is that stuff ever good. Best seven tickets I've ever spent - though I still have no idea exactly how much I was paying for the damn things.

If you read the post correctly, the first half of the post was music related, the second half was that the corn was great, except the actual price for the tickets was unknown.

As for my experience, it was fun once again. Fish and chips were as good as I remembered from the last time I went. Anyone know the name of the group that was doing the dancing on the median around Second? They were a lot of fun to watch.

(Message edited by SCS100 on July 06, 2008)

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The music is excellent, the people watching is great, but the food is not worth it, in my opinion. Even going near Grand Blvd where the food is can be a nightmare. I like to spend my money in the bar in the basement of the Fisher Building, and then mooch off the VIP tent. Went yesterday and saw Calexico, and I'm running out the door now to see George Clinton. See ya there!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2703
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the CityFest, but I do dislike when people make stupid mistakes and try to ignore them.

First off, Dannyv suggested that if you like sweet corn so much, it was only 25 cents per ear at Randazzo's. However, you had no knowledge of a store within Detroit city limits (which explains that many people don't know much about the city). So I was just letting you know there is one within city limits, but apparently you don't care and would rather have sweet corn for mysterious prices while listening to strange bands.

BTW, I love sunshine and puppies more than you think (which means I love them a lot).

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A stupid mistake? Jesus, the point wasn't the corn. It was about the event. And if you've never heard of the bands, that's your problem. The fact that they were both headliners on the festival's biggest stage is proof that most others do. In fact, I'd bet there are more people who know who The Zombies are than that there is a Randazzo's at 7 Mile.

"However, you had no knowledge of a store within Detroit city limits (which explains that many people don't know much about the city)"

You want me to admit that I made a mistake? Fine. But why should I care? Why would I go all the way to 7 Mile when I live in Southwest Detroit? Just to get corn for 25 cents instead of 50 at my corner market? Or are you trying to turn this into some kind of pious, I'm-more-Detroiter-than-you-ar e thing?

I swear, I get so tired of all this Detroit snobbery and pretentious bullschitt that goes on on this site. If your point was to just inform me that there was a location in the friendly confines of Detroit, why wouldn't you just say, "Hey, just so you know..." Instead you have to try to turn it into a pissing match.

Whatever. I bow to you, master scholar of all that is Detroit produce! A thousand pardons.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 796
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't. It'll violate the terms of my "Staycation"...

...leaving the house, having a good time, offering up $$'s to local merchants instead of the Gurus of Gasoline.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 317
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd sorta hoped to do a quick run thru the CityFest on Friday when we went down to try and collect signatures for the Kilpatrick recall thing, but was informed that we & our petition were not welcome by the friendly police-folk..had to stay outside looking in.
Not complaining (much), but it seemed passing strange to be barred from public property..

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I had fun yesterday at Cityfest. I took the gf, who hasn't been to Detroit much, and she was impressed. ("Everyone here is so nice" she said) It was a nice way to spend a beautiful day. And I learned that fried plantains are delicious.

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went today and had a great time. The food section was PACKED but there were so many choices. I bought 16 tickets for $10.00, The foodies were being very generous with their portions, so we really got a lot of food for the price.

Shout outs to The Clubhouse Tavern (yummy chicken curry), Taste of Ethiopia, Casey's New York Style Italian Ice, and Centaur Cafe.

All in all it was great. I wish there were more vendors selling goodies OTHER than food, but that's not a big deal.
It's just great to see so many people celebrating Detroit.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2706
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A stupid mistake? Jesus, the point wasn't the corn. It was about the event. And if you've never heard of the bands, that's your problem. The fact that they were both headliners on the festival's biggest stage is proof that most others do. In fact, I'd bet there are more people who know who The Zombies are than that there is a Randazzo's at 7 Mile."

Well to give you the *sigh*, the point isn't sob story, if you're going to an event, just have your finances straight. It's not trying to tell you how to spend your money, but simple money management. Don't just spend any amount of money on some random thing.

"You want me to admit that I made a mistake? Fine. But why should I care? Why would I go all the way to 7 Mile when I live in Southwest Detroit? Just to get corn for 25 cents instead of 50 at my corner market? Or are you trying to turn this into some kind of pious, I'm-more-Detroiter-than-you-ar e thing?"

Again, the fact is, you're saving 25 cents. People would drive all the way downtown just to take a picture of abandoned buildings or spend money at that specialty shop. Why not save a quarter in the process on food fromthe eastside?

"I swear, I get so tired of all this Detroit snobbery and pretentious bullschitt that goes on on this site. If your point was to just inform me that there was a location in the friendly confines of Detroit, why wouldn't you just say, "Hey, just so you know..." Instead you have to try to turn it into a pissing match."

I said it in the nicest way possible. Yet, you wanted to be the smart alleck and get an attitude with it. I don't understand how that is turning it into a pissing match. You could haev very well said thanks DetroitRise for the info and went on by your "business."

"Whatever. I bow to you, master scholar of all that is Detroit produce! A thousand pardons."

Ok?

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there Friday and Saturday night. Derrick May had the crowd jumpin'! Oh yeah before I forget...to the girl on the vintage Vespa that was parked next to my Hayabusa behind the stage... I Love You! :-)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 901
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone take a survey about the event while you were there? if you did, that is a project I am working on, and will begin data entry on very soon... yeecch.. zombies, pfunk, scarlet oaks, hentchmen. yeehaw.

I don't think i've ever seen as many people at city fest as I did for pfunk. it was PACKED. even VIP. they couldn't let everyone into VIP this time even a half hour before the show... and the parking structure was full ALL the way down the N/S and the W/E sides! the cops had to keep emptying it out... (but as soon as they cleared a floor, it would refill! hilarious)

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there Fri-Sun. King Britt was superb on Friday night and George Clinton was ridiculous! I've never seen so many people packed into such a small area, all dancing, getting along and having a great time.

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn - send me a survey - what is up with the lack of clean port-o-johns and no water for the portable sinks? I think the lack of cleaning begin closer to the end of each night. They really looked as if they were not cleaned for a least a couple of days and the ones that were really nasty should have been closed until cleaned.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4985
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Clinton was phenomenal. It was a recipe for disaster, blazing hot sun, people packed like sardines in that space, but instead it was like a love sauna! So much fun.

My husband took 400 pictures! I hope he got the shot of Clinton holding an Obama Tshirt and an American flag while everybody screamed BOOTY. lol

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was walking around with a Cityfest employee shirt on, and some crazy guy just started screaming in my face about how I needed to do something about one of the port-o-johns being really dirty. He was just walking up and down the street screaming about it.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cetan Clawson, Sunday at the Pure Stage...a young Jimi? Just great, and patriotic, too , playing the Star Spangled Banner with his teeth.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved George Clinton & P-Funk and really had a great time, despite the one-and-a-half hour clusterfunk in the parking garage after the show. :-) I will definitely be at next year's Cityfest, and I hate to make this comparison but I will: it really is what Arts, Beats, & Eats should be...reasonable food prices, lots of things to do, excellent performers, etc. I still love downtown Pontiac and might stop in at Arts, Beats, & Eats, but man, the last time I was there I think I paid in the neighborhood of $20 for that culinary creation, chicken tenders and fries, wandered around the inflatables/amusement rides and promotional displays for a while and then went up to the Phoenix Ampitheater to find...Rick Springfield playing. The moral of the story is that Cityfest is top-class and it's wonderful that Detroit is the site of such a great festival.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else notice that ALL of the street lights on E Grand and Woodward were off, for the second year in a row? I always park on the Blvd. and absolutely love having to walk back to my car on a pitch black abandoned street. Not that you'd realize it because it was light out when I got there.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were there Thursday night--went to see the Mikhal Caldwell Trio. My husband studies with the bass player. They were amazing! I'm not really a fusion fan, but these guys made me a fan!

My fave food was those potato chips they were selling at the end of the street--fresh chips with cheese, chives, sour cream, and bacon. Oh man, I'll have to exercise an extra four hours to get that off my hips!

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey ya'll long time to see. Newton here. Anyone get pics of Clinton they can share? I was there but never even got close. Would love to see who the band consisted of.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4995
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have about 400! We're going to sort through them but won't get to them for a couple of days.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 313
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, what a treat.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise says: Heck, I could always just stay at home, only spend a 25 cents of my money to have the same fun you had instead of spending cash on something I know hardly anything about.

Geesh dude, lighten up. I'm no fan of crowds but festivals are less about any particular part, and more about the atmosphere.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13350
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big fun on Friday night...came down to catch Audra and Stirling on the Park Stage, barely made it...then wandered over to hear two sets of the amazing and wholly beautiful Thornetta Davis.

Heard some people say they were going to another stage because they can hear Thornetta during the rest of the year...and while I can appreciate their logic, they discount how she blossoms in front of a huge adoring crowd.

She and the band, with our GrillMaster leading the rhythm, stayed around for a second set, and blew us away...then I found a lucky penny and my night got even BETTER.

Crowds were lighter than last year, but the cooler than normal weather Friday might've been a part of that...wish I hadn't missed the balance of the weekend, but NYC was calling and wouldn't take NO for an answer!

Cheers...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.