Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Cadillac Tower Is Shut Down For Today « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2712
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20088070703 85

the outage was caused by a failure of the building's sump pumps that led to flooding in the building's basement which then shorted out primary and secondary transformers. According to the office of Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, employees are allowed to use vacation or compensatory time or receive no pay time during the time when the building will be closed.

All employees involved in essential work who are required to report to work today will be notified by their supervisors. Buildings & Safety Engineering Department Inspectors working from Cadillac Tower last week should report to the building at their regularly scheduled time.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20088070403 59

The re-opening of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center has been delayed at least until Wednesday so cleanup crews can continue to remove soot and the facility be declared safe.

On June 27, the center closed when a fire and power loss occurred after a lightning strike caused a power surge that damaged three transformers that power the building.

This is strange, the weather's finally getting to our old mid-rises all of a sudden (even the occupied ones).

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7488
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. Strange how once an F.B.I. investigation starts, all the city offices are closed due to unlikely mishaps! Hopefully they have generators to run those paper shredders.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2713
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, I'm not sure what the CT has to do with the city government.

Lord knows if this is the situation, then they will need another excuse for tomorrow.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7490
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city leases office space in the CT and has employees there.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2714
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The city leases office space in the CT and has employees there."

Ah, ok.

Well, whatever's going on, it certainly is troublesome.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Planning and Developement is in CT. They need to get thier stuff together, I have some business to take care of with them.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 505
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow a sump pump failure. How 3rd world are Detroit's occupied office buildings? What about backups if one or two pumps fail? Non-electrical powered pumps running off pressure? Backup generators for pumps if there was a power failure?

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 382
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shall we take bets on which building is "closed" next?

1. Water Board Building
2. Police Headquarters
3. First National Building (City Law Dept)

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for #3

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 959
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's a budget stabilization measure...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol... that is a good call. I wouldn't be surprised if documents came up missing.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2595
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"According to the office of Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, employees are allowed to use vacation or compensatory time or receive no pay time during the time when the building will be closed."

That doesn't sound very fair. Was it the employees fault that the building lost power?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6098
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolv, I know that you must realize how old and poorly maintained many of these downtown towers, are, and most of it has nothing to do with Detroit. The owners of the Cadillac Tower (who also own the Penobscot, and the First National, I think) are absentee landlords from New York City.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2599
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is VERY costly to maintain a building older than fifty years old (let alone rehab one that has sat vacant for 20 years). That is why new buildings are built for a life span of about fifty years.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, maybe it's not fair to call them 3rd world or even poorly maintained, rather technically challenged. It's pathetic they don't have the systems to keep the worst from happening. It makes me wonder about the rest of the building's infrastructure. A broken sump is a big deal, and it's not a matter of how costly it is to install one, it's a necessity.

(Message edited by wolverine on July 09, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.