Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Balduck Park Fireworks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Saturday we were invited to a friends' friends house for a BBQ. They live adjacent to Balduck Park. We were promised a fireworks show. It was amazingly good. The coolest thing was it didn't seem to be sponsored by anyone. It was just a collect of neighbors sharing their show. A lot of money went into the fireworks. The crowd was fantastic and friendly. I didn't see any cops in sight. It was very family friendly and I plan to go next year. It sent a very positive message about Detroiters.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The positive message being that those types of fireworks displays are illegal?

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we've got a similar thing going on in my neighborhood..one guy does the whole deal, and it IS a cool show on the Fourth..

The down side is that the same guy tends to start with these pro-sized mortars about three weeks BEFORE the holiday, and then continue all summer long whenever the spirit moves him..not so amusing if you live in the neighborhood and have sleeping kids or nervous pets.
Waking up at two in the morning with a ninety pound German Shepherd trying to crawl down your throat 'cuz she thinks it's D-Day and the allies are at the front door gets old pretty quick, trust me..
:-)
I'm sort of ambivalent about the "positive message" aspect of illicit fireworks shows..when they're run by sane & sober folks, they definitely make for a cool experience..but how many sane & sober folks do YOU know who like to play with explosives?

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 386
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of curiosity, when did all of these fireworks become illegal? I don't agree with, but I can see the danger in flying fireworks, however why are the firecrackers you light on the ground illegal? I don't see how they are any more dangerous than a fountain. As a kid in the 80's I remember taking my little red wagon, and walking up and down the street collecting spent bottle rockets with friends. I remember the neighborhood just being covered with them, like tickertape.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5081
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ammunition used at Balduck Park, as Sumas will tell you (I've seen them many times too), definitely leaves the ground. Some of the fireworks appear that they could have been stolen from real fireworks show companies. It is mass illegal activity in the public square, in a well-populated neighborhood. No cops show up, as you mentioned.

It's nice to look at, and fun as long as nothing happens, but the last thing you want in Detroit or anywhere is people being killed totally by accident, while having a good time.

There are great professional shows somewhere in metro Detroit basically every night within a week of July 4. Let's say you live near Balduck Park. You could have gone to the following professional fireworks shows instead: off the GP Yacht Club on the 4th (8 mile and Jefferson). Grosse Pointe Farms lakeshore (Moran and Jefferson) fireworks on the 5th. The previous weekend there were fireworks at 8 mile and Mack. All these places are a short car or bike ride. And if you went to the Freedom Festival fireworks, you should have had your fill, anyway. Watching the pyromaniacs do their thing in our neighborhoods has its charm...until something starts burning.

Its a positive message inasmuch as the neighborhood got together and had a good time, but it is, literally, playing with fire.

Raptor, fireworks that light on the ground and STAY on the ground are legal. It's a matter of where they go after you light them. All fireworks are LIT on the ground.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then why are those string firecrackers illegal? They stay on the ground.

By light on the ground I meant the type that stay on the ground (fountains, strobes, crackle balls, etc).

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5083
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what those are. But there's a lot more than that at Balduck Park.

Jcole

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think firecracker strings are illegal because they explode, they don't just shoot sparks or fizzle.

Jcole

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are the legal fireworks in Michigan from the Attorney General website

Flat paper caps - containing not more than .25 of a grain of explosive content per cap.

Toy noise makers - toy pistols, toy cannons, toy canes, toy trick noise makers, and toy guns in which paper caps are used.

Sparklers - containing no more than .0125 pounds of burning portion per sparkler.

Flitter sparklers - in paper tubes not exceeding 1/8 inch in diameter.

Cone and cylinder fountains - emits showers of sparks.

Toy snakes - not containing mercury and packed no more than 12 per box.

Toy smoke devices.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flying stuff and stuff which features a report (you know, an explosion) are supposed to be illegal in Michigan..basically, if it puts anything into the air other than sparks, or if it's a sealed tube that goes "bang!", it's a no-no. Here's a link with a more in-depth breakdown.
http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1 607,7-164-34739_20942-44662--, 00.html

It all seems kind of wussified to a guy who grew up having firecracker "wars" with his friends..but then I see news of the young woman who died when she caught a professional mortar to the head last year, and realize that some people just don't know when to quit or how to police themselves..
The nanny-state laws which protect us from ourselves are ALWAYS written to the level of the lowest common denominator.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5085
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly.

Jcole

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel like a real bitch saying this, but I am so tired of the damned noise from the fireworks around here for the past couple weeks, I'd call the cops if I thought it would make a difference but it won't. And guess what, I don't live in Detroit. I'm out in the boonies. My dogs are afraid of the noise, so they try to crawl up my leg every night and they sit and whine and shake. And this year was a light one compared to past years.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 555
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure it was some of the same Balduck Park folks who were celebrating Amurrica loudly all night last night near the north end of EEV. They were shooting those things off well into the wee hours. GO USA! LET'S BLOW SHIT UP!

Jcole

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do people still shoot off guns on the 4th and on New Year's Eve like they did when I was a kid. That was real safe too.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that many of those fireworks were expensive and also illegal (as are most fireworks)in Michigan. My point was that it was very endearing to see a community come together and put on their own show. It is also true that fireworks can be very dangerous. What I witnessed was multiple groups being responsible and courteous regarding airspace and timing. Didn't see anyone drunk or disorderly in the crowd or those who donated to this show.

I live in EEV and this year wasn't particularly bad regarding pre and post 4th firecrackers.

When I was a kid we would bang metal cooking utensils on New Years Eve. It was very safe but I'm sure there were neighbors that hated that too.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, I get your point. I recall years ago going to Balduck for the fireworks. If I remember, rumor was that it was a Detroit Fire fighter that use to put them on.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds cool Sumas, reminds me of the fireworks shows neighbors used to do at the playground by Denby. (In the 70s-80s)

Of course it was probably all illegal but I don't recall any accidents or cops.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If fireworks are illegal how is that they are sold openly in tents set up in store parking lots every year?

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skylark..every year, local PD's & ATF busts several illegal fireworks tents..and not ALL fireworks are illegal in Michigan. See the link above..it's legal to buy/use ALL sorts of fizzy, sparkly, boring stuff, so long as it doesn't fire a projectile or go "boom" too loudly.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Balduck Park fireworks are a tradition that goes back to the early '70s. The organizer then was a crazy -- but wonderful -- guy named Billy, who lived nearby. He did them for a good 10 years, and often cops and even firefighters (on a rig) would show up and watch. With the authority figures on hand, many people assumed the fireworks were city-sponsored. When Billy moved away, I'm pretty sure a woman, who also lived nearby, took over. Not sure who does them now.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, I've heard the Balduck fireworks is a good time. Some of my friends went last year. I was just whining about the fact that someone decided to keep the party going until 2 a.m. on a Sunday night, right outside my window. Probably not the same people.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.