Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Red Wings Outdoor Game 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 385
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's nearly official. The Wings will be playing the Blackhawks at Wrigley Field in Chicago for the Third NHL Winter Classic. Kind of a bummer it's not in Detroit where it should be, but at least the Wings are involved. Illitch needs to get a yearly outdoor game in Detroit. Monopolize New Year's Eve like the Lions own Thanks Giving!

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080707/SPORT S0103/807070403

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan 1st is the scheduled date. Good luck getting a hotel room in Chicago for New Years eve. Also, New Years Eve is the annual Red Wing's game.

It sure would be cool to be at Wrigley to see.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5082
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool. I liked the rumor about us playing at Yankee Stadium better, but this is not bad.

There is no good place to go outdoor hockey in Detroit...it's tough enough to watch baseball at Comerica Park.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4896
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no good place to go outdoor hockey in Detroit...

How about at the Big House?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Mackinaw is some sort of authority on baseball views. I am sure it is sooooo tough for you to sit there and watch the tigers. So strenuous and discomforting.

I understand the complaints about Comerica, but it is not "tough" to watch baseball there. You're a college kid who likely doesnt even recall the views at Tiger Stadium. Sit behind a pole and that's "tough".

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 628
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger Stadium. Reserve now, seats are going fast.:-)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I live in Chicago, I'm excited, I want to go. I'm none too happy about it being on 1/1 though.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 922
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell...Spartan stadium still holds the guinness record for most people in attendance...go back to Sparty Field.

I would rather see them play the Habs or Leafs though

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spiritofdetroit. I agree with Mackinaw, the sight lines at Comerica are horrible! The last game I attended was Verlander's NO NO, and was only 14 rows from the field. The risers are so shallow, at times I could not see over the guys in front of me. I kept having to duck to either side of those guys to see the pitches. I'll take Tiger Stadium with all of it's posts any goddamned day! Tiger Stadium was large enough to usually avoid the posts.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never had any problems with a seat at Comerica. Plenty of obstructed view seats at Tiger Stadium though.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree the sightlines at Tiger stadium were better than Comerica's. No question there. I find it a bit strange that this kid assumes authority over so many issues though. I just have a hard time believing that he is in any sort of pain while chugging beers with his pals

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger stadium was the best. However I've made the transition to Comerica, its in the middle of the city and I enjoy going their, minus the fact I get a sun burn every time I go.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...it's tough enough to watch baseball at Comerica Park.

Mack, the more you spout your uninformed opinion, the stranger you sound.

Comerica has almost perfect sight lines, and while I prefer the old Tiger Stadium, one can't seriously consider that watching a baseball game is even remotely difficult.

Even in the cheap seats, they bring you more food and drink than is healthy and there isn't an obstructed view in the Park; save yours, as it appears your view is obstructed by having your cranium placed between your cheeks.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5084
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well who wants to sit in the upper deck on Jan 1st and try to watch a puck? The distance is the big issue, as it is with watching baseball there. And it won't be any easier if you're in rows 5-35 in the lower bowl because of the shallow slope. I still go to Comerica Park as much as possible, because I love the team, so excuse my hyperbole.

I remember Tiger Stadium well. It would have been good for a hockey game.

Gnome

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nhl_g_sabresfans_300.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't go to a outdoor hockey game, but in Buffalo NY, 71,000 people had a different opinion.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of one's opinion on Comerica Park for baseball, it would be truly horrible for hockey.

Wrigley will be awful for hockey as well, but so it goes. Baseball stadiums are not set up for good sightlines to a hockey rink which will surely be placed from left-center to right-center, thereby putting 80% or more of the stadium quite a distance away from the action.

Gnome

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nhl

Personally, I wouldn't go to a outdoor hockey game, but in Buffalo NY, 71,000 people had a different opinion.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5086
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was incredible to watch on television. Being on Jan 1, though, it competes with football games. The fact that it is going to be on Jan 1 again means that the NHL must have found the game in Buffalo to be a ratings success. They're upgrading to two much larger markets for this go-round, so they should do well.

I think so many people like the idea, and the novelty, that they're willing to go stand in the cold.

FocusontheD, I'd like to know what you think on this, but it seems to me that hockey in Chicago could use this jolt.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not getting a whole lot of attention here just yet, but the Hawks did start drawing again last year, actually selling out some games without the help of Wings fans, so it could only help.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5087
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have some talent and repeatedly beat the Wings. In a city that big, they could do well without being a real focus-- maybe like the Rangers.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for the first time in who knows how many years, all blackhawks games will be televised next year. their owner had previously blacked out all games that were not sold out, which ended up being just about every game

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can i get tickets? will they go on sale with regular season tix or will they be sold separately? My whole family and i will seriously make that trip to chicago to cheer for the Wings of course, i cant wait! anybody have info on the tickets?!

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4897
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Blackhawks at Wrigley is a good fit... mutual long time losers.

Sorry, I had to get that jab in. I love Chicago.

I finally saw my first game at Wrigley this year. It is a nice friendly close-in place, full of character [and characters], like a small Tiger Stadium. I think it will be a great place to watch the game. The rooftops behind right field will be filled too.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 801
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago Black Hawks, best uniforms in all of sport, imo.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 635
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell wondered
quote:

There is no good place to go outdoor hockey in Detroit...
How about at the Big House?

I believe too much of the parking is dependent on the University golf course, which would not be esp. accessible in January

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4898
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrigley has zero parking.

But tons of public transit that everyone is used to. You are right though; it would be difficult if it snowed a lot in Ann Arbor.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok....so this popped up again?

I live in Chicago, and I wanna say I heard "an announcement is expected tomorrow" sometime in May. Might have even been a little earlier than that.

Then NOTHING. Now, today, I get home, NBC5 is blabbin about it. Come back from break "ALMOST BUT NOT QUITE OFFICIAL the Wings and Hawks are playing at Wrigley".

Jesus AGAIN?? Still nothing on the NHL website.

I plan to go. I don't miss Wings-Hawks at the United Center, despite its not-close-to-the-ice feel and the expensive upper bowl tickets, and the horrendously hostile environment towards the thousands of Wings fans and displaced Michiganders who show up as well. I will do my darndest to never miss this one.

Football be damned (don't really like it anyway). You'll find my behind in the seats at Wrigley in 0 degree weather watchin the Wings before you'll find me parked at home watchin the Rose Bowl.

But this jumping the gun by the media is getting ridiculous. I can't believe it appears to have happened TWICE now....

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 802
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, I can take the Amtrak to my brother's house. He'd get tix.

The hot chocolate bill for him & his 2 boys would be staggering.

The last outdoor hockey game I watched was inside Marquette Prison. A guard bitched at me for leaving the area to retrieve a friend's helmet. The guard gave me crap again when we were trying to leave the prison. I had to direct him to page 2, with my name.

<edit spelling>

(Message edited by jrvass on July 07, 2008)

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell's got the right idea: have it at the Big House... but with FREE admission. Oh sure, there would be plenty of lousy seats, but can you imagine the tailgate parties? I'm there.

Raptor56

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok... So the Wolverines need to make it to the National Championship game so I don't have to setup two TV's in the living room on Jan 1st, and be torn between which game to watch. Moving the BCS Championship game to a week later may actually turn out to be a good thing.

Raptor56

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and on a side note, it looks like Yankee Stadium was the first choice for the next NHL outdoor game, and may be the choice of the next game.

http://www.fannation.com/truth _and_rumors/view/56811

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.