Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Scott Fountain hit by copper thieves :-( « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard of this today...

(From WDIV)

BELLE ISLE, Mich. -- Thieves stole copper plumbing systems and electric works from 83-year-old Scott Fountain on Belle Isle, according to authorities.

Authorities said equipment located both above and below the ground was stolen and that the damage is estimated at $100,000. Officials believe the theft took place in late winter and early spring and said security will be beefed up in the future.

Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix Chairman Bud Denker said, “While it’s unfortunate that Scott Fountain was vandalized, we are pleased that various resources have come together to have it repaired for the citizens of Detroit and its visitors to enjoy this summer and during the Grand Prix this Labor Day weekend. Scott Fountain is one of the true jewels of our City and we look forward to its waters flowing again in the near future."

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 960
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just FYI, We've been talking about this for awhile here:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/145068.html?1215411333

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 326
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup..this is the first I've seen of the estimated $100,000 damages, though..place must have been plumbed with gold pipes & platinum fittings..

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you think Lawrence Hemingway is helping to fund Kwame's lawyer fees? They interviewed him sitting on the edge of the fountain(i believe it was channel 4) lamenting the fact that it would cost $100,000 to repair.

How shameless the liars are in that administration, as though any of us would believe that over inflated "estimate".

Just like that line in the movie Independence Day, where they are walking into the command bunker that even the president didn't know about. When asked by Bill Pullman how they could afford to build a place like that and keep it a secret, Judd Hirsh casually says, "...it's the Air Force. You didn't think they paid $28,000 for a toilet seat, did you?"

I believe that is the best and most true line I have ever heard in a movie.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 961
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it - they're going to use all-union labor; they don't buy from the lowest price distributors - stuff in the city (especially by the city) seems to cost more than everywhere else.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 657
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We bid the roof for the Tuskegee Airmen museum at $2500 in material and we would provide the labor for free.

They paid a contracter $17,000+. We could have roofed 3 or 4 structures for the same amount.

Want to bet that the labor is non-union? They have an "exclusive" list to chose from-I saw it. It is composed of the members of the "family and friends plan", believe me.

The way we always get around that list is to provide PRIVATE funding. That way we pick who does what, and it is never, ever anywhere near what the people on the list quoted.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 442
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres: you said a mouthful! All it takes is $.

Are we ready to do what needs to be done?

I mean that Belle Isle needs video surveillance cameras. Lots of them; I've said this in other threads, also. No person can seemingly protect this treasure that belongs to all of us. So let's take action.

A camera cannot be intimidated, and its testimony in court is accurate and unbiased.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.