Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » FBI files on Detroit's Purple Gang « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3373
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/ purpgang.htm

In adobe format. Interesting reading. Lots of names blacked out, though.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jewish mafia got wiped out by the Italian mafia later. But Al Capone didn't F with the Purple Gang at that time. The Jewish mafia killed a lot of people back then. No big news. The Motor City Mafia book kind of glossed over a lot of stuff. I wonder whose names he was trying to hide and why.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 442
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post Ray, have to bookmark that one. thanks

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that my grandmother was originally engaged to a banker that was killed by the purple gang. I later went to school with member's of his family (the bankers) but didn't know the connection until later on.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3375
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's one section where Hoover requests a report in 1945 on gang activity in various cities of the US. The SAIC in Los Angeles describes "problems" in Las Vegas. Hoover pencils in at the bottom of the report, "Watch situation carefully or Las Vegas will inevitably become a criminal mecca."

Bugsy would be shocked, shocked, to hear of that.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoover was (among other things) a stickler for neatness in paperwork, once he returned a report to an underling with the words "watch the borders" penciled in his handwriting. All available agents were sent to guard the US borders.
He meant "keep all typing within the margins"

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My buddy's dad was a cop in LA, on the secret squad division back in the sixties. He had Mickey Cohen's house bugged when it was being built. Got a lot of good info I was told.
He also said the LA cops took and burned the photos taken of Robert Kennedy, from the guy who took them, when he was shot in the Ambassador hotel, but thats a different story.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.