Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Named phone exchanges in Metro D « Previous Next »
Archive through July 18, 2008Ray193630 07-18-08  4:23 pm
Archive through July 19, 20087_and_kelly_kid30 07-19-08  2:49 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up on Maxwell (Gratiot and Van Dyke area) and it was WAlnut. Later moved to Six Mile and Gratiot area where it was DRexel.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, that was a great explanation of the fire pull boxes. Do you have a picture of yours handy?

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 644
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, I have 3 of those solid brass, heavier then heck, ticker tape machines from the old Central Office on Macomb. When a box alarm was pulled, the ticker tape was activated at Central Office.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIR, in Rosedale Park in the 70s, we had KE (53) and VE (83). 272- and 273- were also popular.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3421
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old police call boxes worked the same way. Beat officers had to make an hourly "pull" on an assigned quarter. The number of the box punched out on a paper tape at the precinct station exactly like the fire alarm tape. The tapes were kept for 30 days. They also had a time/date stamp on the gizmo.

We didn't have these new-fangled radio things in my day. :-)

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My aunt who lived in Southgate had a party line. Seems she shared the line with someone who never got off the phone. She always had to ask the party to let her use the line to call out. I remember in the mid-50's my aunt calling her sister who lived in Eastern Europe. The operator had to call the long distance operator who called the overseas operator. Once her sister was located the process was reversed and a few hours later the phone rang and she proceeded to shout into the phone. It seemed everything had to be repeated at least twice. The good old days.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our old number at Mack and Gratiot was MElrose 1382.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family had a TOwnsend 8 number when we lived on Highland in Highland Park, right next to the Michigan Bell switching station. You could hear the switches working all night. I believe the building is still there, but the new electronics are now completely silent.

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Redford Township.
Kenwood number
Lived on Ivanhoe.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2560
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andKK, I mentioned it in my second post. Z was a VEnice.

Dday, My sis lived over there back in the early to mid 60s. that was definitely the party store, though. I remember the old lady who ran it. There was also a big brown house on State Fair east of Schoenner on the north side of the street that was kind of dilapidated, and always had an old rug hanging on the front porch. We always thought it was haunted. Do you or LodgerDodger remember that place.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 907
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dday, My sis lived over there back in the early to mid 60s. that was definitely the party store, though. I remember the old lady who ran it. There was also a big brown house on State Fair east of Schoenherr on the north side of the street that was kind of dilapidated, and always had an old rug hanging on the front porch. We always thought it was haunted. Do you or LodgerDodger remember that place.

Past Wish Egan on State Fair?

Jcole

Post Number: 2563
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, east of Wish Egan on State Fair

Dday

Post Number: 908
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dday, My sis lived over there back in the early to mid 60s. that was definitely the party store, though. I remember the old lady who ran it. There was also a big brown house on State Fair east of Schoenherr on the north side of the street that was kind of dilapidated, and always had an old rug hanging on the front porch. We always thought it was haunted. Do you or LodgerDodger remember that place.

Past Wish Egan on State Fair or do you mean west of Schoenherr? There were bungalows on the south side of State Fair. The park was on the north side just E of Schoenherr. I don't remember there being a house like that, but that was a long time ago...LOL. Also, your sis was living in that area a little before I got there

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 403
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven: I used to work at Melrose Linen. I always wondered where they got the name. LOL

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6986
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba was DAvison 4-2919.

jjaba, Proudly Northlawn and Schoolcraft.
jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember some of the little tricks you could do on the phone.
To make the phone ring and set the ring volume. you dialed 711,waited for a dail tone, then dialed 6 and hung up. The phone you were on, would ring.
On pay phones , it was pretty easy to get a free phone call.
One way was to have a paper clip,unfold it, stick one end in one of the holes of the mouth piece, touch the other end to the little curved finger stop on the dial. This would fool the phone into thinking you put in a nickle.
The other way was a little more destructive. You took a pen knife and bared the wires that connected the handset to the pay telephone. Then you touched the bare wires to the same little finger stop on the dial, and presto! You got a dial tone.I think that this is the reason they eventually added the metal flexible sheath to the handset cord.
I don't know if there were any more little tricks like that?
Our house in Highland Park had a standup pedestal phone when I was a kid. That was my favorite phone. Made of steel with the separate ear piece you held up to you ear and talked to the mouthpiece on the stand,with the dial at the base. The bells were not in the phone, they were in a metal box that was in the wall. That phone was replaced with a metal desk phone that had the combination speak and hear in the single handset. On the base was the dial,and the bells were still in the wall. Not until the black square plastic type desk unit were the bells moved into the phone itself. Truly all these units were indestructible. The phone company made the best mechanical devices in the world. You could throw them, beat them, drop them, nothing hurt them.

Caldogven

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame:
Melrose Linen sounds familar, where was it and when did you work there?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3425
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't know if there were any more little tricks like that?"

Remember the '83 flick, "War Games", where Matthew Broderick ("David") uses the beer can pull tab to get a dial tone on the pay phone?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm certain that 77 was PRescott. Maybe different in different places.

Jcole

Post Number: 2570
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dday, it was on the east side of Wish Egan, East of Schoenner on the North side of State Fair

Umtim
Username: Umtim

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mt. Clemens was HOward.
We had the party line. Had to wait for the neighors to get off till we could make a call. Had to listen for your ring. Actually only dialed 5 numbers to make a call in your HOward exchange. And if you wanted to call someone on your party line only dialed three numbers.

Shovelhead
Username: Shovelhead

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To add to the free phone calls.
Drop a penny in the nickel slot with your left hand, then "karate chop" the coin release button with your right hand. IF you timed it right, the bell sounded and you got a dial tone.
My Mother worked for Ma Bell and didn't believe me that it worked. Proved it to her and a co-worker in the lobby of her office.

Dday

Post Number: 911
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dday, it was on the east side of Wish Egan, East of Schoenner on the North side of State Fair

Don't remember that house. Was it a corner house? There was an empty lot at the corner of Hoyt and State Fair on the north side. I'm coming up this weekend. If I have time, maybe I'll pop over and see what I can see

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside dame and caldogven,

Melrose Linen, I beleive was at the corner of E Warren and Moran. Right across the street from my grandfathers house. 3404 E Warren, large brick house still standing, family does not own it.

When we weren't watching the cars zip down warren, we watched the laundry swing past the second floor windows. It was a laundry Melrose comes to mind after all these years.

Jcole

Post Number: 2582
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dday, it was an old rundown place in the mid 60s, so it very likely is gone. It may have been a flat, upstairs and downstairs apts., but the same rug hung on that porch for as long as I can remember. It was on a clothesline slung between two pillars or posts on the porch

Jazzfan
Username: Jazzfan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe had two:
TUxedo and VAlley

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8 Mile and Southfield on the Detroit side was KEnwood. BR and VE were in around there too. In Lincoln Park my grandparents were DUnkirk.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twinbrook exchange, McNichols and Mound Rd. area.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2444
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our Birmingham exchange was MIdwest (4-9089)
Before that it was just 4 digits, 4526. That's really going back.
My second "home" was Pontiac, but now I can't for the life of me recall their exchange.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VA = Valley (Chalmers-Jefferson Area and Grosse Pointe Park)
ED = Edgewater (Chalmers-Jefferson area)

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 647
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VAlley = Montclair & Vernor, Detroit 14, Mi.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The weather was WE-21212
The time was GR-21212
Info was just 411
Too bad they still don't have the weather on the phone. It would be handy

Jgavrile

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park had both Townsend and Tulsa exchanges. Not sure where the Tulsa exchange was located??
Had a girlfriend that lived in Southfield. If I called from home it was like a long distance call. They charged you "units". Used to piss my Dad off.
If I called from a pay phone, it was like a local call??,Just a nickle. Never made sense to me.?

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slick: Nopie, nope.

Melrose Linen was at the corner of Forest & Crane. My mom was the office manager, and later controller there from the early 60s to the late 70s. They never had a woman office manager before, but they took a chance on Ma. She was there 18 years.

The downstairs was the plant, the upstairs had the office. The big boss had a shower, a TV and phone in his private bathroom. Lots of deer heads on walls...we'd name them: "Rudolph", "Blitzen", etc. Yeah, I know but we were kids.

It was a family business and the bosses (brothers & brothers-in-law) were very kind and generous. We had Joey Bishop at our Christmas party one year (mid-60s)! They gave a lot of good jobs to people in the hood, esp. unskilled folks, that couldn't get into the auto companies, etc. It was a big part of the neighborhood.

I said "I" worked there because it was "I" who went with my mom on Saturdays and summers to answer phones and file delivery tickets. The number was WAlnut 5-9200. I still remember it, like it's stamped in my head; I worked there for petty cash and record albums for years.

While I was at WSU (and getting an actual paycheck), I worked at Melrose with the drummer from Adrenalin. He was a route driver, and I did A/R. We'd go to the Red Carpet to see the band play. Every year, Melrose would take the "girls in the office" to the Track at Hazel Park. When I got older, I got to go, too. Fun times on the old East Side.

In the very late 70s, the sons started to take over and they moved the business to E. Davidson. They sold the Crane building to Admiral Linen.

Lopsidedfrock
Username: Lopsidedfrock

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

professorscott

i can think of 2 designer area codes:

867: Canada's territories. 867 = TOP, as in the top of the world

321: brevard county, FL, home of Cape Canaveral, as in 3, 2, 1, lift off

WHAT DO I WIN?

Caldogven

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame,
Now I remember! I passed the Melrose plenty of times going to and from Barbour Intermediate. We lived on Pennsylvania.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 408
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yeah...

Could you smell the Better Made Potato Chip factor cookin' away at 6AM? Whew!

Slick: I asked my Ma. She said Marathon Linen's on E. Warren.

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame,
I knew it started with an M. It was a long time ago. While researching the name I came across this link, no wonder Joey Bishop was there, probably flew in from Vegas.

http://www.americanmafia.com/C ities/Detroit.html

Then there was the Home Juice Company on Palmer, allegedly another Mafia owned business.
Love the East side!

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/story.asp?id=9490

Marlonjb2
Username: Marlonjb2

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is interesting. I never knew this. Heck how would I? I was born in the late '80s.

Looks like from what I've seen in this topic, we have a LAkeview 7-XXXX number.

... but yes I do remember the Mr. Belvedere Construction commercials with him shouting CALL TYler 8-7100... but I had no clue that's what he meant by it.

(Message edited by marlonjb2 on July 24, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 2628
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marlon, I was LA7-53**. I lived on Maddelein and Kelly

Rijobo
Username: Rijobo

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roseville - PRescott Warren - SLocum Hamtramic -TRinity

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2475
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marlonjb2 - stick around, you'll learn tons of technological history as we lived it from us old timers! :-)

And I say that with all due respect. I'm proud to have lived through the times we did. To be able to see technology proceed the way it has. Our grandparents lived through some wonderful technological historic times and so have we. Wonder what the future of technology will bring for our grandchildren? The sky's the limit!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.