Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Received in the mail today: "Detroit Then and Now". What's the point? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 143
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the mail today, I received my copy of “Detroit Then and Now: A Six Year Retrospective Look at the Motor City.”

Isn’t a FULL color magazine a tad expensive for a broke city like Detroit? I know what has happened in the last six years (and prior), why do we need to spend money on this?

Kwame’s pictures are splattered in just about every picture on every page. Was this paid out of his re-election campaign or is it an official city notice? If it’s not a Kwame re-election piece and is official city business, what’s the point? What do you want me to know that I didn’t already know?

The publication is beautiful and expensive looking. Why are we wasting money on this?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4683
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because KK wants an acquittal

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 613
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is trying to paint a pretty picture for himself. I got one today also.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, propaganda. Does it say who paid for it?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 399
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, any ads in it?

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if you all remember a few years back he did the same thing. I threw away the green and yellow bag filled with KK pics.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautifully designed handout. I just thought that with all the money woes, it was a little expensive. We LOVE wasting money in tis city. Our priorities are a mess.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't know if you all remember a few years back he did the same thing. I threw away the green and yellow bag filled with KK pics."

It also had a lil silicone bracelet in it lol

Hockey_guy
Username: Hockey_guy

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cost of paper has really risen the last few years, I'm sure it was very expensive.

I work for the largest printing company in MI and we've lost customers because print media, is becoming outdated and expensive compared to digital media, such as the internet. The younger generation likes to read publications online now, not have a paper or magazine delivered, and it ultimately costs thousands of jobs.

(Message edited by Hockey_guy on July 19, 2008)

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its a mystery
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080719/NEW S01/807190350

hope that it was not paid for with city $.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, you should save them. Then in ten or more years, sell them on Ebay (assuming it's still around).

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5141
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They stole the name of a great book on Detroit history-- not cool.

Before you throw any accusations, find out if it was published with money from the general fund of the city. If so, it is pretty questionable, especially if it is political in nature.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't care who paid for it...it is wasteful...do you know many times alum have called to curse us at WSU for doing similar

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sister called me last night to warn me that this document was delivered to her home on the northwest side, and that mine would probably be delivered soon. I got it in the mail, and it made me want to puke. I live just outside of Lafayette Park, so I benefit from the development going on downtown, but my sister lives on St.Marys at Six Mile, and you sure dont see any 'glitz and glamor' over there! Detroit THEN and Detroit NOW....I would like to see some pictures of the Detroit NOW that most of the citizens have to put up with. They sure arent in this expensive piece of trash. Coincidentally, I also recieved two copies of his Mom's campaign flyer. All of these documents are now residing very comfortably in the dumpster.

Ndmom
Username: Ndmom

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should all gather one afternoon in front of the building where KK works and burn them.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys got yours in the mail? I haven't received anything.
I'm by no means trying to be inflammatory when I wonder if there are too many whites and Hispanics where I live for Kwame to bother. Not really his target constituency.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5142
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does target constituency mean?

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received a Kilpatrick family Christmas card one or two years ago. Out of the blue. I will take the suggestion regarding e-bay.

And the recent Detroit Then and Now. A piece of transparent campaign literature. 6 years is not really then and now.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 826
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV-TV had a short story on this at 6pm. I'm sure they'll re-run it.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2877
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He is trying to paint a pretty picture for himself."

HA! I just read the book myself and that's the same thing I said. :-)

Strange, I live in one of the 6 neighborhood and havent seen any notable improvements or changes.

Fareast
Username: Fareast

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freep.com is reporting that Tolliver said she thought it was "nice and pretty." Mine was addressed with my full name, including middle, which tells me it was taken from the voting records. Has Bobby's picture in it, but not a single one of Christine "do you know who the f$$^ i am" Beatty. Someone said it was a way to kick off his reelection campaign. Talk about balls!

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i say mail them back - if every writes RETURN TO SENDER that mess would be HILARIOUS!

Jhartmich

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note: Mne to was addressed to me specifically. They must be using the voting records to send these out. I thought that was illegal????

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2879
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ In a city where nearly everyone in power is some type of crook, I'm hardly surprised.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4697
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are your tax records addressed the same way?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 401
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, do write "RETURN TO SENDER" on it, cross your address out and mail it back.

They'd be liable for postage both to your address and from it as well.

That is...if it wasn't paid with tax $. That hasn't really been established here. Who is the "publisher"?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think it is being sent to registered voters. I still have not got one yet, though I read about it in the freep this morning.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tax records are public. I'm not sure about voting records. But either way is irrelevant. Anyone can buy a list of names of Detroit residents listed by street and number from marketing agencies. The question isn't how did they get your name. The question is who paid to do it. If it's a PAC, it's legal. If it's city money...I think that's a different story.

But even THAT question is irrelevant. If you're upset, and you need to write return to sender or set it on fire, than do that. But if you want to REALLY make a difference, call Jennifer Granholm and leave a message that you want her to act to remove KK from office NOW. The future of Detroit is of great interest to both SE Michigan and the entire state.

And if you don't believe me, ask your own elected public officials. Bombarding elected officials with phone calls and letters DOES make a difference. I was on a grassroots group that flooded a US Senator's office with so many phone calls, they were unable to function for the day. Sometimes, it's the only way to get their attention.

Look, in basketball, fans can yell all they want about a bad call, and it won't make a lick of difference. In politics, you can yell all you want, and it does make a difference. Usually, it makes the most difference. Call Constituent services at Jennifer Granholm's office right now and leave a voicemail if you're fed up. Detroit resident or not, if this something you feel strongly about, that don't waste another second complaining to your friends, family or this board. Do something!

It's 12:30 eastern time and I just got voicemail and left her one. What are you waiting for?

Jennifer Granholm
(517) 335-7858

Or, of course, if you don't agree, then call up Jennifer and say you don't agree. I'm just saying that complaining gets us nowhere. We are not victims. Ask for what you want.

YPD

(Message edited by youngprofessionaldetroiter on July 20, 2008)

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young profesional builder type person. I like your ideas and your drive to help the city. Many of us on this forum, where born in detroit or lived for 40 years. Please do not trample our childhood memories.A memory of a J.L.Hudsons, or Ernest KEARNS or Crowley/Milner. The rebuilding of old retail in the central core is papamount

These stores have gone by the way side as has Bonwitt-Teller etc.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pkbroch: Ummm...As a Detroiter like yourself, what the hell are you talking about? Trampling childhood memories? LOL>...Huh? I don't get what you're bitching at him about.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They must be taken from either voter registration, or driver's licenses. I received mine with the name on my license/voter reg., which is not the name I use elsewhere. My husband, whose license/voter reg. has an old address did not get one.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5143
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pkbroch: I didn't pick up on any of that in his post.

By the way, those memories have been trampled about as much as possible already: those stores have left (on their own volition), and their buildings torn down (thank the city). I'm assuming you were deriving something from another of YPD's posts, in which he very matter-of-factly stated that he is not familiar with that era in Detroit.

(Message edited by mackinaw on July 20, 2008)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YPD, if you're a candidate, there are ways of getting voters addresses. You can't get how they voted, but you do get targeted mailings.

I've worked local elections before, these were pretty easy to get. I can remember waling the neighborhoods with candiates and we would only stop by the houses on the list.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13691
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We should all gather one afternoon in front of the building where KK works and burn them.

But wouldn't that confuse and perhaps alarm the OTHER barber shop clients?!

Good catch on the postage permit, Townonenorth.

I like the return to sender one...gotta catch 'em all before they go to landfill. Let's go gather them up around the city!

Wasn't expecting this much fun so early on a Tuesday...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11973
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether it be Detroiters are the region that pays it is a comlpete waster of money. I sent mine back to city hall with a note pointed out it was a waste of money to print and send.

I have not received a response. I would encourage everyone to send theirs back to make a point.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anthony Adams' first act as head of Water Department?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They stole the name of a great book on Detroit history-- not cool.

I wouldn't call that a great book.

So did anyone ever uncover who paid for the campaign literature?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point was so the Mayor could get FREE advertising and publicity at taxpayers expense to help his mom out on her election bid.

Aren't we lucky enough to have a mayor to spend our tax money to help his mom get reelected and give himself an ego boost to try to make the city look good.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about the previous posts about the postage, apparently I had it wrong. Difference between postal class and all that.

Still doesn't make it right. One would think that City Council would look into that and how it was funded, although they give KK a huge budget for his "office" Maybe it's time for a city manager style of government. At least they have to be non-political (or at least should be)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so, how many of you have called Jennifer?

youngprofessional even gave the phone number, so I hope you ALL called. Who of you called?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TownOneNorth, please explain in detail how you got the postage thing wrong. What did you get wrong? The postage or who owns the stamp or what.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok on the top of the postmark it says
PRSRTD STD U.S. POSTAGE PAID DETROIT, MI PERMIT #100

The difference lies in whether the stamp is of certain classes. some are presorted, as this one was, some are first class mail, some are nonprofit, etc. I'm just going by the stamp. Now if someone works for the post office, maybe they can define this issue.

Go here to see why I thought so. It's not the water after all.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Po rtals/0/docs/environmental/ROE _brochure.pdf

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if you see in the news a write up about the Mailing Permit scandal with a big F-ing "No Comment" from Anthony Adams, don't be surprised.

Detroitsapphire
Username: Detroitsapphire

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think he has done any good for the city?

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are lots of criminals who have done good things in their lives, but that doesn't negate their crime or render them unaccountable for their crime. The man is a thief and a liar, plain and simple. There are others who can also do good things for the city, without the deceit and corruption.

Detroitsapphire, are you on the Friends and Family plan? You were very adamant in defending Carl Ramsey (one of the mayor's BFF) at election time. We know that the mayor has done some good things...we get it. But he is also corrupt, so bye bye to him, hopefully soon.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.