Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Hobo strip « Previous Next »
Archive through July 22, 2008Jt130 07-22-08  8:56 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua - Is that the Jonna Property behind the garfield lofts? I used to live in a Jonna property and was pretty good friends with Judy. She told me that they fenced off the building, to keep the bums out, but they were so pissed that they keep setting it ablaze. Now there is so little of it left they might not get historical tax credits for rebuilding it. Such a pain in the ass.

And all the insane people moved to the section 8 building down the street from me on alexandrine, right before 3rd. They are out on the street all the time. Insane crazies with teeth protruding in all directions. Makes for some good people watching

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11908
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the state should ensure that these type of facilities are distributed throughout the state based upon population.

Since people always want even distribution of funds, road dollars, etc shoudl the homeless and mentally ill be distributed the same?

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 923
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, whats your point? I see this everyday.

The hobo's talk and encourage me when I jog by them. I enjoy it a lot. Otherwise Im basically indifferent to them, sometimes irritated, occasionally sympathetic.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only time I am ever sympathetic to hobos is when they actually try and work for change instead of just asking for it.

Like one lady worked on her speech really well, had a clipboard, and even threw figures at me. She said she was collecting for a battered womans shelter, and gave me statistics on how many women are battered each month, how many beds they had etc. She worked hard on it so I rewarded her with her efforts with some cash for the "womens shelter."

I tend not to give out cash to the people who say things like "my son just died this morning and I have to get on the bus to go to the funeral. Do you have 37 cents?" (Actual Quote)

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Move the NSO and the entire area will see a reduction in homelessness, petty and property crime, and begging."

Or, better yet, close the NSO and re-distribute the funds to agencies that are actually treating the problem as opposed to merely addressing symptoms.

Mariners, COTS, DRM - all could use the extra funding currently dedicated to NSO.

Knowing NSO's leadership, however, such won't go down without quite the little fight.

Jt1

Post Number: 11909
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Knowing NSO's leadership, however, such won't go down without quite the little fight

RG - Any more information about this. I agree 100% with your post but have no inside knowledge of the NSO leadership. More information about this intrigues me.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2596
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm out in Denver on vacation, and I will say that there are just as many if not more homeless/panhandlers out here. The difference is that the ones here do it as a career. Some of them have laminated signs which apparently have the pitch that works the best on them. My son in law says that the very first panhandler he saw when he moved here 15 years ago is still walking his strip in Boulder. I saw one guy who had 4 different signs that he rotated through while standing on a corner, ranging from 'Father sick, need money for bus fare' to 'Civil War Veteran'. I had to give him props for originality on that one. there was another fellow who I saw get unloaded from a late model mini van with his oxygen tank and professionally printed sign on to the Pearl St. mall in Boulder.
I'm used to the Detroit homeless with old brown cardboard signs written in crayon.
It's an artform here. The Democratic National Convention starts here soon, and the city is giving the panhandlers movie passes, opening the shelters 24 hours and giving out food vouchers to clean up the area during the convention. They claim that it's safety issues, but they don't want the homeless showing up on national news feeds.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 751
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that it is a necessity to discuss these issues in the context of reality so that we can all better understand the issues of mental health better. The state of mental health care in this state and country, for that matter, is deplorable. It was not just one administrations fault, of course, but the final "divestature" of the mentally ill ocurred on Engler's watch, for sure, so he got most of the blame. Places like Northville, Lafayette and many other state/city run organizations once did a "decent" (adequate as they could be with their archaic way of treating those who are the afflicted!) job of keeping up with mental health issues, but the budget crisis of the recent decades made their demise a for sure thing.

As for most of Detroit's homeless and panhandlers, almost all of them that I have encountered on my strolls through and around the city have been severely mentally ill, and when I worked for EMS in the late '70's there were at least five centers we could take people to that would at least give them some hope at maintaining some dignity through treatment. That has disappeared in recent times, though, and is a sign of the "bankruptcy" that our government shows for it's people(the ones they are SUPPOSED to serve, that is). I am reminded of two Biblical sayings tha could be applied to the situation that would compel us all to demand better of our government, the first of which Jesus preached to all who would listen:

"The sick will always be with you" as He urged others to take up their cause, imploring those that had to give.

And the famous ..." for as ye have done unto those who have not may the same be done unto you", again imploring all of us to help the least as it will be done unto us.

Amazing how 2000 year old principles still apply in the modern age.

You don't have to physically "do" to contribute beyond writing your state and federal government to point out their lack of supporting these people. That is the least we could do for them.

Here is a c & P that hopefully helps describe the downfall of the mental health industry in this state. Sorry for the length, but this issue important.

Link: http://www.mackinac.org/articl e.aspx?ID=125

Beyond Deinstitutionalization: Mental Health Reform in Michigan

Shhh! There's a quiet revolution underway in mental health service delivery in Michigan.

Unlike the highly publicized closure of Detroit's Lafayette Clinic and nine other state hospitals and living centers in 1991 and 1992, these changes don't promise the sort of sensational confrontation that sells newspapers and makes for shocking television news coverage. They are, however, no less profound. To put the continuing reform effort in context, let's consider where Michigan was in the past and where it is today.

By 1970, a national movement to end the warehousing of the mentally ill in latter-day asylums and integrate them into the broader society had largely succeeded. In Michigan, the legislature passed a bill to provide more compassionate and supportive services based in local communities where patients' families live. Unfortunately, this recognition of the dignity of the mentally ill and developmentally disabled has often been saddled with the term, "deinstitutionalization," and used to explain away a host of society's ills, from crime to homelessness.

Studies document the therapeutic advantages of community-based care for all but the most severely ill. Through the involvement and support of parents and family, educational opportunities, job training, and supported employment, the mentally ill and developmentally disabled can achieve greater independence and stronger feelings of self-worth than can be obtained in an institutional setting.

By 1993, the legislature's 1974 goal of a statewide system of community health boards responsive to local needs had become a reality. Fifty-five boards serve all 83 Michigan counties, managing such services as assertive community treatment teams, outpatient counseling, and inpatient care. In 1993, the community programs served over 170,000 people. State financial support to local programs has increased from $165.8 million in 1980 to $1 billion in 1993. This dramatic increase in state support for community mental health was made possible by closing state hospitals that cost as much as $500,000 per bed per year.

From 1980 to 1990, 14 state hospitals and centers were closed, and the adult psychiatric patient population in state facilities shrunk by 32 percent. Since 1990, the population has declined another 33 percent. Now, only 10 percent of adult mental health patients are admitted to state psychiatric facilities, with the remainder being cared for in community hospitals and other local residential facilities. The numbers of children and adults receiving state inpatient treatment for developmental disabilities have also declined by similar proportions.

This is not the end of reform. Draft revisions to the state Mental Health Code are being circulated by the state Department of Mental Health (DMH) to allow community mental health boards to carry money forward, own property, issue bonds, and engage in new types of services appropriate to meet local client needs. This would allow boards to become less dependent on county governments, already strapped for cash, for financial support.

The most dramatic aspect of DMH's proposed changes would end the subsidy of private health insurers from the state and community mental health system. Current law says that anyone who is diagnosed as having a chronic mental illness becomes the responsibility of the public system, shifting the cost from health insurers to state taxpayers. DMH, instead, would like to turn this upside down, converting a public liability into a community asset- whereby private insurers pay competitive, locally-based providers to do the best job for those who require care. The objective of all these reforms to provide a seamless service delivery system for mental health, public health, substance abuse treatment, and social welfare delivery, ending turf disputes and cost-shifting between agencies.

Vilified during the highly visible and controversial closure of the Lafayette Clinic, state Mental Health Director James Haveman has emerged as one of the nation's senior mental health administrators. In other states where governors avoid controversy and let overstaffed, underpopulated hospitals that benefit from influential legislative favor continue to operate rather than seek compassionate, community-based alternatives, turnover among mental health directors is high.

Mental health policy makers in other states and in the nation's capital are watching reform efforts in Michigan closely. More and more of them are looking at our state as a model for the rest of the country.

Hopefully, this has provided some insight into the mental health industries demise.

I agree about the hobos, too, as they have been around since the "Hoovervilles" and were generally just nomad travelers working for the few dimes they could conjure up. I think the main reason that they congregated in the areas mentioned was the proximity to the rail systems, which were thier main mode of transportation back in the day.

Jt1

Post Number: 11910
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

By 1993, the legislature's 1974 goal of a statewide system of community health boards responsive to local needs had become a reality. Fifty-five boards serve all 83 Michigan counties, managing such services as assertive community treatment teams, outpatient counseling, and inpatient care. In 1993, the community programs served over 170,000 people. State financial support to local programs has increased from $165.8 million in 1980 to $1 billion in 1993. This dramatic increase in state support for community mental health was made possible by closing state hospitals that cost as much as $500,000 per bed per year.

I'd be curious to see the winners and losers in the redistribution of money. I suspect (with no proof or info) that much of the money used in SE MIchigan was re-distributed to other counties and rural areas that had much smaller mentally ill people.

Just a guess. Anyone have any info.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 754
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you on that "guess" Jt1, as it had to go somewhere, and it sure wasn't here!

That divestiture of cash really sucked the life out of the mentally ill here though and that is why I posted the article.

At $500,000 grand per bed per year though, I could see why they got rid of the programs. You got to love that state excess stuff, huh?

Jt1

Post Number: 11911
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At 500K per bed I am guessing that they used the Big 3 staffing models of middle management and bureacrats (sp). That much per patient/bed is just criminal.

Now if it was a ration of 100 patients per bed it makes more sense but I suspect that there was an absurb amount of waste.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 755
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like the $28,00 the Air Force paid for a toilet seat or a hammer? LOL, that is hysterical and tragic at the same time!

Jt1

Post Number: 11912
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that it is imperative that anyone managing the budgets look at each dollar as a dollar, not a percentage of their budget. That is when unacceptable things like this happen.

28,000 looks like nothing when your budget is 28,000,000,000 but the bottom line is it is still 28,000 wasted. I believe this happens for government and private sector when budgets get so large.

I have managed budgets in excess of $20MM and managed every dollar as an opportunity but many that I knew did not. Mnay saw it as a check book with the only goal to hit the bottom line.

Add in the 'if we don't spend it this year we won't get it next year' and it is a receipe for disaster.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like one lady worked on her speech really well, had a clipboard, and even threw figures at me. She said she was collecting for a battered womans shelter, and gave me statistics on how many women are battered each month, how many beds they had etc. She worked hard on it so I rewarded her with her efforts with some cash for the "womens shelter."

That lady is a crack head. I've seen her light up. She's been spitting that shelter shit for years.
Why reward someone for a relatively elaborate lie? Why not give to a real womens shelter instead?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I ran into this lady in Campus Martius...this approach doesn't work with me, either. I'd appreciate honesty more.

My thought was, if she's going to go to this much trouble to memorize statistics, why can't she use this brainpower and actually work?

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm especially annoyed with the current version of Bum Block Party outside of Trolley Plaza (more accurately between Trolley Plaza, Bookies, and Industrial Bldg Apts)... I hate to make insensitive statements, but the three guys who are out there pretty much all the time now could not possibly be older than 25... I don't get it. Anyway they sit out there all day long drinking beer. That on its own only kind of annoys me. I try to walk to as many things as possible, and every time I pass by if they're there, they yell to me to ask for money. Last week I was coming back from a Tigers game with a friend and had picked up some pizzas from the Detroit Pizza Factory (which I think is highly underrated... anyway...) and one of the guys yelled "hey can we get a few slices?" and I was in just such a mood and said "no." Then he responded "okay how about a few bucks then?" Well, I got ticked. I don't usually do this but I turned around and said "NO!" He says sarcastically "oh, well, that's alright then." I turn around and say "you know what? Yeah, it IS alright, because I paid for this food with money that I make WORKING." I wouldn't have had the balls if I hadn't had my friend with me. I don't know what came over me. I don't usually do stuff like that. I usually just ignore bums or just say I don't have any money or whatever. I think I just get fed up seeing the fact that, I mean I can understand and sympathize if you really seem to be doing poorly on the street (even though my friends tell me I'm even getting taken by these people), but I mean if you're sitting out in the sun drinking a delicious cold beer, that doesn't seem bad at all. It would be great to be able to just sit around all day drinking cold delicious beer, except I have to work to make money. To pay rent and have a place to stay and a car to drive and food to eat and for those few times I do get to kick back and drink. I don't know where all this bitterness in me is coming from, but I guess I just wanted to point out that there are a good solid number of homeless on my end of downtown too... agh...

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 867
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Im referring to Woodward Avenue the couple of blocks from Alexandrine over to the Max Fischer theatre.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2929
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you expect? This is the Cass Corridor we're talking about.

It's been like this for the past 30 years.

The Cass Corridor & Mack/Chalmers earned the label "Crack Alley" during the 80s (that probably sped up the downhill trend of Fox Creek). Not to mention Michigan/Livernois is the worst spot if you want to encounter whinos & prostitutes.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 22, 2008)

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 726
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are the naked hobos that I was promised?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with what Danny wrote about religion. Money spent on tithing would be well spent on educating;clothing; food and medicine for the mentally ill and indigent as opposed to building elaborate Mosques,churches and synagogues constructed with pricey materials and artwork.

Plymouthres the article was extremely informative, educational and explanative.

Ravine Detroit is not disgusting at all, it will more than likely be home some day. Midtown or the Northend. Possibly Southwest.

Like Vas Im sometimes sympathetic (especially if the person appears severely mentally ill) other times irritated if Im in a hurry or in a lousy mood.

Nickstone ignore them or keep the conversation very brief.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Calling them hobos is an insult to that once proud way of life."
classic line.

I love how liberals put blame on conservatives for the mental health problem everywhere.
They think that throwing money at them will solve their problems. I guess liberals don't want to deal with them either on the street eh?

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry... I know. I know. I feel dumb for even having allowed it to get to me like that. I don't know. Hopefully that has passed.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're looking for images of the Cass Corridor, I think that the book Detroit Images: Photographs of the Renaissance City by John Bukowczyk has a chapter about the corridor. Published by Wayne State University Press, I think it's out of print, but one of the DPL branches probably has it.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 701
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Move the NSO and the entire area will see a reduction in homelessness, petty and property crime, and begging.

Great idea! How about Farmington?

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm especially annoyed with the current version of Bum Block Party outside of Trolley Plaza (more accurately between Trolley Plaza, Bookies, and Industrial Bldg Apts)... I hate to make insensitive statements, but the three guys who are out there pretty much all the time now could not possibly be older than 25... I don't get it. Anyway they sit out there all day long drinking beer."

Wait - I thought we wanted to encourage informal behavior such as barbecuing and open intoxication in formal city parks such as the median in Washington Blvd and Grand Circus Park? Wasn't that the consensus on another thread?

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 725
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fat John was the one who cut SMART public bus money in 1995.

Vote YES to keep the Fat John cuts.

Vote NO to restore state money that was stolen from Fat John.

Next August 2010, Just say NO to Fat John.

Or, support the website in Detroit Links and don't just say NO but HELL NO to Fat John.

Your NO vote will only cap the SMART budget and will not hurt SMART.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

smart bus #23332 was seriously enurinated sometime during a stint on the 200 route last week. the stench in the "upper deck" was pretty bad. opening the windows only worsened and sent whirling the miasma about the freighter. these vessels need a steerage section, to be sure.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone been in TomBoys lately? Damn that. place smells like piss. I never noticed that before, Ive been stopping in there for years. Never again unless they switch owners, or janitors (LOL, as if they had a janitor).

I know, I know. Its probably one of the most disgusting markets in the D even without the smell and DDs out front, but sometimes you just need a store.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't have money and don't vote so no one cares about them.

Let the populace deal with them.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Car window broken last Friday night at about 11pm ish-parked 1 spot west of Washington next to Trolley Plaza-Bum Party Alley! They got 2 duffel bags, one with cold raw food and the other with kids clothes. Found all the clothes dumped in an alley 1 block away the next day along with the raw rotting food. They got a stainless steel bowl, and 2 cheap duffel bags. They missed the DS videogame in a case.

My Saturday morning bag search revealed more vagrants than I even knew lived in the area-alleys, sidewalks, etc. Any normal city would have the cops hassle these guys to no end to get them out of a potential high rent district near Washington Blvd. Maybe the new Book Caddy residents will demand this soon. Like they say "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here!"

How about a nice vacant industrial district for them- no hassle to residents, visitors or retail establishments!

Anyone ever notice the bum camp that exists during the day on Woodward (west side) 1-2 blocks south of Boston Blvd. Check out the milk crates, chairs and garbage. This didn't exist prior to 2 years ago. BE's residents must love this and need to put some pressure on the cop district to hassle these bastards and at least get them off a major street!

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 745
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Panhandling is allowed here in Austin. The underpasses are filled with the homeless and it seems like every intersection has at least 3 of them at different spots. It's a sad existence, but a life that I just don't understand. One guy and his girlfriend look to be in their 20s and he holds a sign staying 'will work'. It has been nearly a month and they are both still on the streets. I can't believe that it would be that difficult for these (seemingly) normal individuals to land jobs.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey PMSU how long have you been in Austin? look up an article about how some people make a living panhandling. then there is the article about at 183 and braker one guy killed another over rights to the corner. Offer them work or food and they scorn you.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dianeinaustin, I have a brother who lives in Kyle, not far from you. We both grew up on Shaftsbury, north of Vassar and graduated Henry Ford, '66 and '69. There's an annual get-together in Hines Drive of the YAC, Youth Activities Committee(?), a parent's group that organized sports teams for the kids bound by 7/8 Mile & Southfield/Greenfield. Unfortunately, it happened a couple of weeks ago. I didn't live in that area but there are folks I knew and met thru that group and an internet forum of Ford graduates.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bastards

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What other cities are doing:

http://www.city-journal.org/20 08/18_3_panhandling.html

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last name is Vanneste. Robert graduated in '69? I have the HF yearbook with his photo. He looks familiar but I didn't know him. My brother has been in Kyle for about 6 years now. I was there about a month ago.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 744
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The managers of DDOT and SMART are holding tin cups and they want more of your local tax dollars but not to help the poor but to fill their pockets up.

That's why Detroit is poor. It's because the union auto jobs are gone and now everyone wants your tax dollars to replace the auto industry.

There is money in the transportation industry and SMART and DDOT can make lots of money at the fare box. Certainly not enough to cover all expenses but they can make much more.

But why? We now have the TRU to make sure that the voters will vote in more transit tax increases.

I want to challenge the TRU because of the Livonia SMART opt out. There are no good regional mass transit plans in southeast Michigan without Livonia. Livonia residents including myself worked hard to keep SMART.

But, it was Transportation Riders United TRU that refused to listen to the people who really cared. We do not want hype and more promises, we wanted respect and dignity of all working together to make mass transit better for everyone. The TRU leadership just did not see this and this cost us our SMART buses.

And this is why Detroit is so poor.

The answer is jobs and not higher taxes.

But go to a TRU meeting and try and explain this and you will see how the TRU is now like SEMCOG and MDOT. It's all about money but not from jobs. No, from tax increases.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe with increased Smart and D-Dot funding we can bus all the bums out of town, to California or something. Have you ever thought of that Trainman?

Williamsfamilyfungi
Username: Williamsfamilyfungi

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Seattle for a few years and I can attest that homelessness is a much worse problem there than in Detroit. Just by sheer numbers Seattle has Detroit beat.

All over the west coast there is a huge problem with young adults 'running away' and living on the streets. I would say the median age is 20.

They have big a 'anti-homeless' education program in schools, much like the anti-drug DARE program.

That being said the bums in Detroit are a much more hardened bunch. Not necessarily more aggressive, but scarier in general.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.