Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » "You Can't Carry My Bra" of FLASHPOINT Sunday AM » Archive through July 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CCK, Mary Watters and Martha Scott square off on Flashpoint this mornirry ng. The Event quickly turned into shoutt caing match with CCK telling Mary Waters, "You can't carry my bra!"

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080720/NEW S06/807200527

10 AM Channel 4 WDIV

pass the popcorn

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 999
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait to see this.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How stupid! This is what passes for candidates these days?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 734
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I guess she puts herself on a plane with John the Baptist, who said that he was not worthy to carry the sandals of Christ.

What a staggeringly arrogant analogy of twisted thought.

These are not choices that we are being given for candidates, these are choices of the lesser of three evils.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark Scott once said that "...the lesser of two evils, is no evil". Who ever thunked' we'd get three?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3314
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait until that line makes it onto a TV ad...

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching Sunday Morning.....thanks for the heads up!

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

watching right now, poor devin, imagine whats going through his mind right now.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Devin must be doing a good job...'cause I'm not focusing on the fact that this conversation of these three Black women is being facilitated by a white male. It's strange...yet refreshing... maybe because it's rare that the conversation can actually focus on the issues. Hopefully this post will suppress subsequent posts from including the term "screaming banshee"....

We've been alerted.

(Message edited by Foxyscholar on July 20, 2008)

Leoqueen

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just KNOW that CCK can't wait until the election is over so she can rip off that overwhelming wig and get back to her braided crown with the inlaid beads!

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW

Leoqueen

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Devin has just lost total control of his show. They were all talking at once, he couldnt get a word in edgewise.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That last segment was... as we say... a HOT MESS! LOL!

And Mary and Martha simply AIN'T READY for the CCK machine. That was demonstrated by the questions they asked CCK.... very ambiguous and pretty much set CCK up to reiterate her responsibilities and so-called accomplishments. Then CCK came back and hit them both between the eyes with basic questions that could have been known by reading a "fast facts" page on the district in question....

Sigh....

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What wonderful choices we're presented with. I feel good about my fellow (wo)man.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DON'T LET NOBODY TALK ABOUT Y'ALLS BRA!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our cups runneth over with fine choices.

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I have mentioned in other posts..I have just relocated back to Detroit after being gone for over 10 years. When I first moved back in 2006 I would often drive around various inner city neighborhoods and the surrounding metro area, astounded by the amount of disinvestment that has taken place in the area. My only conclusion was that..this area is being terribly mismanaged, and something is very wrong! It was at that time that I made it my personal mission to find out what was going on and work to make some positive changes and a difference in our communities, and to get the bottom of what was really going on in the City??

It was at that time that I decided to get involved in community development, and volunteer for several organizations that were actively working to improve the City. As I have gone through this process, talking to city leaders, gov't officials, sitting in meetings, and so forth...I have come to realize that the bar here is set so very low! Integrity, accountability, responsibility, sensibility, respect, and education & skill are not really required to run for any political office in this area...It's all a popularity contest.

As a Black woman, I can honestly say I was embarrassed by the performance of these women this morning! When people see them they see me, and vice versa, and I in no way would place myself in the same category as any of those argumentative, inarticulate, disrespectful, clearly uneducated women!!

Not only were they disrepectful to each other and Devin, but what about the constituents they are trying to represent? This was so disheartening...Black people in this City really need to demand more, we hold ourselves to such a low standard!! Quality and excellence is not even part of the equation, it seems like our mentality is that we get what we can get!
WE STAND FOR NOTHING..AND FALL FOR EVERYTHING!!

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 910
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Our cups runneth over with fine choices.

Is there a video of these three harpies? I don't get to watch Jerry Springer and it sounds like this maybe the next best thing....

When I was living in Detroit and working for UPS I delivered a package to CCKs house (I want to say LaSalle Circle, though I may have the street wrong...right around the Dexter/Grand River/ Grand Blvd. intersection). She signed for it and before I could say, "Thank you", she slammed the door in my face. When I was living in Hamtramck, I attempted on several occasion to contact Martha Scott's office about insurance redlining (why was it three more expensive to insure my truck kept in a garage in Hamtramck than kept outside in New Haven and what would were you planning on doing about it?). I left a couple VMs and never got a response.

Yes, your cups runneth over. Good luck.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 645
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand why there isn't someone else out there to run against these illiterates. None of them speak correct English and I would think it's an embarrassment for the 13th District to have ANY of them representing citizens. What a shame... it looks like Michigan, Detroit especially, is becoming a lost cause.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! Thanks for that Buyamerican^ My feelings exactly. Sounds like they are on the corner of Bewick and Mack.

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on July 20, 2008)

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a quote rom the replies from the Free Press blog:

browndog2 wrote:
Replying to AttitudeCentral:
"............Kilpatrick....... ... quizzed both Waters and Scott about their knowledge of Congress."

"How many appropriations committees are there in Congress? How many departments are there in the federal government? What department has the largest bill before the appropriations committee?" she asked.
------------------------------ -------------------
As IF Cheeks-Kilpatrick knew before SHE got there.............THIS is a sign of ARROGANCE.

Wonder if Cheeks-Kilpatrick knows how many underage and uneducated baby momma's and baby daddies live in her district?

Wonder if she knows the graduation rate (or lack thereof) in her distrcit?

Wonder if she knows the murder rate in her district?

Wonder if she knows how many libraries are, or are, not in her district

Wonder if Cheeks-Kilpatrick knows ANYTHING IMPORTANT........."

This sums it up for me. She isn't worthy to have anyone "carry her bra".

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the facts as I see 'em. They ain't pretty, but they're the facts.

CCK is an INCUMBENT representative, with 10 years seniority. Anybody who is trying to unseat her must remember or know that seniority is everything in congress, and if she loses her seat, most likely, the new rep is NOT going to be on Appropriations or have the pull.

So I'm torn. However, it's clear to me that considering the options available, CCK is the best because she already has the pull. Because I know a bit about how the federal government works, CCK will be the best choice to bring home our slices of bacon in the system.

Anyone new needs to start completely over and that hurts Detroit and the region. And it's not like the other options are 5-star choices to make losing that seniority worth it.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 219
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Devin, you couldn't host a baby shower, let alone a political talk show.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's all go to Sacred Heart, 1000 Elliot at 6:30pm Monday and watch all 3 up close and personal. We could actually tell them to their faces that they are unprofessional and we citizens will not stand for it!

Guess I need to get a clue, huh? But I just gotta try it. We should at least TRY to put them on notice

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Free Press article was sensationalism at its best. I taped the show and played it back for clarity. All decorum was not lost. The last minute and 10 seconds got a little crazy, with each women trying to talk at the same time, but that's not the entire show, and the comment about "you couldn't carry my bra" came during the last 10 seconds before the host wrapped up the show and it was barely audible. Besides, what did Devin Scillion and his Flash Point producers think would happen if they pitted two challengers, not one, against the incumbent on a news debate show?

Now, I wouldn't go as far as some of you and say that these ladies are illiterate, but clearly the challengers weren't anybody to write home about. Mary Wells didn't articulate well, perhaps out of nervousness, but she made a few interesting points. Martha Scott simply sounded like a textbook politician, all show but no substance. "I'm representing my constituents and I think we can do better" is all she really had to offer.

Digitalvision is right. Caroline Cheeks-Kilpatrick is the best of the three candidates, and as the incumbent can do more for the 13th congressional district than the other two can.

(Message edited by royce on July 20, 2008)

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 646
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Let's all go to Sacred Heart, 1000 Elliot at 6:30pm Monday and watch all 3 up close and personal. We could actually tell them to their faces that they are unprofessional and we citizens will not stand for it!"

Good luck! These three women (I want to say ladies but that would compliment them) will tear each other apart at this meeting. Don't be surprised if they don't end up in an actual cat fight, they are all at that level. I hope the media is there to film it so everyone can see just what substance each of them are made of. A typical example of the mentality of CCK is her speaking of carrying her bra....she's before a camera being shown throughout her District and she would utter words like that. Where is her professionalism? Scott didn't say anything that made any sense and Waters is looking scared to death. Aren't there any politicians left in Detroit or Michigan with integrity and honesty first and foremost on their agenda?
Are these three people the only example that Detroit or Michigan has to represent the 13th district? If so, my prediction is true, Michigan and Detroit is a lost cause.

(Message edited by Buyamerican on July 20, 2008)

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce,

My problem is this: I don't really care when it occurred (the whole show, the end of the show, etc.), I think it shows the lack of professionalism and decorum on the part of CCK (and others). I've seen this on Huel Perkins "the Edge" also. When did we forget to let the other person finish talking before we put our two cents in? When did it become appropriate to out talk others in the conversation? I see the behavior as rude and indicative of how they plan on treating their constituents after they get into office. CCK is the incumbent and seeing as how her son is a F-up, I'd think she'd want to demonstrate that she can be a professional and should be re-elected. Instead, she showed that she's just ghetto and the mother of ya'll'z boi...trying to appeal to her 'ghetto' constituents, not the general public.

I'm just old fashioned. I may live in the ghetto but I don't have to be ghetto.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 740
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce-

I can't believe that a man as intelligent as you would just give up because CCK is "the best of the three candidates, and as the incumbent can do more for the 13th congressional district than the other two can." That may be true of her experience in Congress and her rather questionable connections, but to settle for the status quo and not demand someone better is just unbelievable and akin to not offering a solution but perpetuating the same "business as usual" attitude that these supposed "candidates" show.

After all, she is "Kwame's mommie", and from what I have seen in my 48 years on this planet, the apple never falls far from the tree. When they indict BOTH Kwame and his daddy, which I am more than sure will happen, and when he is found guilty of the multitude of charges that he is sure to be convicted on, then perhaps you may agree then that she is no longer the front runner, as savvy politicians will run from supporting her in their effort to distance themselves from anything Kwame.

I've got a great idea. Even though they are not connected, how about we support Gary Brown for her seat or that new cop that is showing integrity and character by standing up to the mayoral gag orders he has received and telling the story that needs to be told. Maybe even support Cub, an honest man truly interested in the people who will surely vote for him if they heard of the action he has taken to save his neighborhood. Perhaps some new, freshly idealed, untainted political blood is just what the city and state need to begin a revolution of truth rather than the same old status quo.

Perhaps given the chance, they will spur a change that actually DRAWS other politicians to their naive yet effective truthful leadership, rather than the status quo of failure that CCK has provided.

Since everything old in this city and state seems to have failed us, how about taking a chance on something new?

Sorry to jump on you, but WTF?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8456
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Besides, what did Devin Scillion and his Flash Point producers think would happen if they pitted two challengers, not one, against the incumbent on a news debate show?"

I'd like to think that just because she's an incumbent doesn't afford her any specialized treatment. If she truly is the best candidate out of the three vying for that seat, she should be savvy enough to rise above the bickering and refrain from such silliness. The amount of challengers to that position is irrelevant- but the topics at hand and a sense of decorum still should be paramount.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 456
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All three of these women are jokes, when is Detroit going to put up a qualified, credible candidate for CCK's seat? Better yet, when is Detroit going to get some real leadership?