Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Mayor's right hand man makes $230k per year! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rotation_slim
Username: Rotation_slim

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local /story.aspx?content_id=fdce04e 6-0fb4-4e61-b1f9-acbb5e5394c6

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jackpot!

r u f*cking kidding me? Detroiters, wake up...these people are bleeding the city dry.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really want to know what skills AA brings to the table.

hell I need a city job

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I think its safe to say that these people aren't being motivated by a desire to serve the public trust.

Detroit has actually managed to create a situation where you have people leaving their jobs in the private sector for much more lucrative jobs in the public sector. This is absurd!

But I suppose that when you choose to put thugs and criminals in charge of spending billions of dollars in tax revenue, it should come as no surprise when they choose to reward themselves first.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 727
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

along with the DPS people

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you all just realizing they make this much money?!

"Detroit has actually managed to create a situation where you have people leaving their jobs in the private sector for much more lucrative jobs in the public sector. This is absurd!"

You can't be serious. Jobs for public officials in any big city make some good money. Think of what New York and Chicago make.

The reason I would be outraged is the fact that of the jump in pay. He went from 140,000 to 230,000 now that's a hell of a raise at 64%, Which tells me either he is making the move because of KKs legal troubles, or KK is granting favors before he can no longer grant them.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7852
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess it makes sense that a lawyer would know about sewage.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2756
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG just made me laugh! :-)

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this really surprises you? nothing that comes out of the CAY Building/City Hall cesspool surprises me anymore.

(Message edited by drankin21 on July 23, 2008)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sevakis also says Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick remains committed to conducting a national search for the next water and sewerage department director.

How much do you want to bet that the "national search" concludes that the best person for the job is the Interim Director of the DWSD?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You can't be serious. Jobs for public officials in any big city make some good money. Think of what New York and Chicago make. "

True enough... but those cities have about 4-10x more people than Detroit.

I don't thing the issue is the salary, it's the person earning the salary that is the problem.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, this is false. 230K is outrageous pay for a municipal position, especially in a flat-broke city like Detroit.

In NYC, the Commissioners for city agencies (the highest positions outside of mayor) don't make close to 230K. I think it's 160K or 170K.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't this public information.
Why is this all of a sudden a surprise.

Think of all the bloated fringe benefits and retirement cash this job must have.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6148
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much does the position of Mayor pay in Detroit?

I've also heard that Detroit City Council is one of the highest paid in the country, with some of the best benefits you'll find in any big city. It's hardly confined to Detroit, though. We've got some of the highest paid legislatures and governors in the country.

At the end of the day I'm not so much worried by the actual pay they all receive as it's crumbs to the respective municipal and state budgets, but the symbolism is striking.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see the problem; the previous director made $240,000 AA makes $230,000 as an interim director. If AA is doing both jobs (which I doubt) the city would actually be saving money since the deputy mayor was making $140,000. If KK brings in another deputy at somewhere in the $140K range then the whole deal is essentially a wash. Now you may feel everybody is overpaid, but it doesn't seem like KK is going beyond budgeted amounts.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2287
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The big deal here is that Victor Mercado, the former director, had big time experience managing municipal water systems. Anthony Adam's experience with a municipal water system is drinking it and flushing it. So giving someone a salary near Victor Mercado's is saying that he's pretty much as qualified as Mercado. That's a lie.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 614
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So giving someone a salary near Victor Mercado's is saying that he's pretty much as qualified as Mercado. That's a lie."

That's the key point. I know that people don't want to hear about anyone in government making decent money but the person running DWSD is overseeing a massive operation with thousands of employees. In the private sector, that kind of responsibility would come with a heck of a lot more compensation than anyone running DWSD will get, no matter what their experience.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine, with the exception of the Detroit Lions, you don't get hired if you don't have the chops. AA don't have the chops.

A manager should be able to tell if one of his employees is blowing smoke up his dress, "Sure Mr. AA we always put the Kranzovator in with the Framise."

An experienced manager will know what a Kranzovator is and whether it needs any contact with a Framise, AA doesn't know what he doesn't know so he is relying on his underlings to tell him the truth and to do their jobs and not screw up.

And we know that always happens.

Novine

Post Number: 617
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"AA don't have the chops."

I'm not saying he does. But for a qualified person, that salary is more than fair.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I really want to know what skills AA brings to the table.

The ability to repeat Mayor Kilpatrick's talking points with a straight face.

That's probably worth more than $230K a year when you think about what most big name Hollywood actors make.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In NYC, the Commissioners for city agencies (the highest positions outside of mayor) don't make close to 230K. I think it's 160K or 170K."

As many of these positions are often staffed by lawyers, you'll find that cities often set these salaries to be comparable to that which a first-year associate at a law firm would make in order to attract these people and make it somewhat easier for them to give up what they would otherwise be earning in private practice. It's just what they have to do to stay competitive.

In NYC, market rate for a 25 yo right out of law schools is $160k, which leads me to believe Crawford's numbers are probably correct. But in Detroit, that amount is much smaller...around $105k...and certainly no where near the $230k per year that the city is paying Anthony Adams...many partners at some large law firms don't even earn that much annually.

In the past, the common approach has been for municipalities to attract valuable public servants through a combination of paying them a moderate salary while letting that servant's own sense of duty to serve the public make up the rest...

Detroit, however, appears to have created a situation that takes the sense of duty out of the equation when a guy like Anthony Adams can come to work for the city and earn A QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS per year.

(Message edited by thejesus on July 24, 2008)

Novine

Post Number: 618
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is this comparison appropriate? I'm not defending paying AA $230,000. But paying a qualified person to head DWSD that amount? Why not?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Adams has been installed as an interim director. Doesn't everybody admit, the Mayor's office included, that Mr. Adams would not be under consideration for the permanent position because he does not possess experience in the management of a public utility? If so, Mr. Adams should not be receiving a salary at the same level of the previous director. But it seems that qualifications and experience rarely play a primary role with Mr. Kilpatrick's appointments. Mr. Adams' salary at DWSD is simply a reward for his loyalty. Just another facet of the Family and Friends program. We can probably expect a $30K contribution from Mr. Adams to the Detroit Justice Fund any day now.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I'm late to thread but WHAT THE @#$%, MAN? I don't even make the average annual salary! Talk about (jerking) Detroit off!

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline...that is the exact point...why not increase his salary according to the hire min - not the hire max.

hire max is for folks at the top of their game.

hiring qualifications at any other place require engineering degrees

http://www.jobtarget.com/c2/jo b.cfm?site_id=1&jb=4636866&CFI D=44055286&CFTOKEN=ee4042f8589 86f85-55C8DCA3-E801-059D-477C7 B90EE597D67

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ wl/jobs/JS_JobSearchDetail?job id=26611506&jobSummaryIndex=0& agentID=&xfeed=1

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

simply outrageous....and I bet he's got a gas card too.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With a Red Navigator to put the gas into.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You can't be serious. Jobs for public officials in any big city make some good money. Think of what New York and Chicago make.

Mayor Daley makes less than Detroit's Deputy Mayor.

Daley's salary: $216k

Hell, Granholm makes less than Anthony Adams. I think Kwame himself makes less than that.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame and the Governor are in the 170's I believe.

I know the governor makes 177, and I think Kwame is just below her after he took that pay cut

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The salary that AA makes now is more reflective of being the head of a major revenue producing city department and not being deputy mayor. Evidently 230K or thereabouts is the market rate for Water department execs. Kind of like how Rich Rod makes far more as football coach than Ms Coleman makes as President of U of M.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focus, FocusontheD, AA makes less than ALL you mentioned. AA makes 140,000, when he makes the move it will be a 64% increase to 230,000.

I don't see the point you're trying to make.

I agree with others on the point of AA not having enough qualifications to be catapulted to the Head of the Water Department. Just think of all the more QUALIFIED people he passed to get that position.

The argument I have is what justifies him getting the much of a raise? Is there something I'm missing? Does being Deputy Mayor give you the experience to run every department in the City?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.