Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Aborted Mega Church?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7028
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's up with the church that was being built at 7 Mile & Woodward? the steel has been up for a year and I don't think anything has moved since. I think this was Marvin Winans' project

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11923
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prime opportunity for real motivated scrappers.

Detblue
Username: Detblue

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Financial issues... God does not want them to build there

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13588
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that the first pastor who denied Kwhyme's overtures from the McNamara group?

They might've made an example of him.

I'm totally joking about that, more likely they are simply one of the most public of the Mortgage Crisis refugees...but I'd bet if the pastor IS a name-it claim-it prosperity-is-proof-you're-hig hfivin'-God sorta guy his credibility must be a bit shaken!

Cheers

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That site is the new location for Perfecting Church, presently located at East Nevada and Van Dyke. The pastor is the quite well known Marvin Winans. The Church has been around for about 20 years.

On their web site, which does not appear to have been updated in the recent past, they just allude to "moving soon" to the 7/Wood location. But the lack of activity on the site appears to contradict that.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 646
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard they are having "Land Acquisition" issues. Some of the property is owned by estates that have rights to the property and is in litigation.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13591
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably then tied up with parking lot problems, that makes sense. Damn shame.

Come to think of it, though, Winans isn't a Kwhyme guy, is he? I've never heard anything political from him, but haven't listen too closely.

Cub

Post Number: 648
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think so G.
I am going through the same thing with that house I am getting from the Wayne County Auction. A relative of the former title holder tried to file a quit claim deed or something recently and now its going to take a month or so longer to close.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And there are so many beautiful, abandoned churches in Detroit that would cost a fortune to build today. I thought waste WAS a sin.

I repeat, WTF?

Or maybe, what would Jesus do?

Cub

Post Number: 649
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there is an abandoned church large enough for Perfecting in Detroit. Seating wise. The church they are in now on Nevada has 1500 seats or more in the sanctuary.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 620
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jesus

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 939
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not get these MEGA churches at all. I am not a very religious person but I believe that more normal sized churches are better for communities at a community level. This church "light" trend where you can go in sweats and dont have to really live to the religious standards is a disturbing trend to me. What has happened to sacrifice and work to achieve higher self and spirit?

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Normal? Who/what determines normal?

Hopefully the criticism is ACROSS religions. I've seen VERY LARGE synagogues and Roman Catholic churches as well.

Cub

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well there are a lot of smaller churches in this area and they do nothing for our community.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen VERY LARGE synagogues and Roman Catholic churches as well.

Yes, and many are CLOSED. That's the point...reuse and recycle.

As a carpenter, I'm sure Jesus did quite a bit of that himself.

Many of these new "God Palaces", you must admit, are built as more of a monument to the pastor, than to the Lord. Note how many fold when their founder is gone.

Not all of them, of course, but many..and no specific denomination in mind.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I do not get these MEGA churches at all. I am not a very religious person but I believe that more normal sized churches are better for communities at a community level. This church "light" trend where you can go in sweats and dont have to really live to the religious standards is a disturbing trend to me. What has happened to sacrifice and work to achieve higher self and spirit?"

Just a question.. you have a normal sized church and your congregation booms and you basically have to have 3 services and the church is overcrowded... you are saying that they should stay there in a "normal" size church to better serve the community?

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For one, the term "megachurch" has come to be associated with predominantly Black churches, ergo the question about size, ergo the question about access and control... who gives who the (worldly) authority to determine what?

For two, in the Detroit area, for example, thanks to population shifts (a kind way to say "white flight"), a number of Black churches did go into the abandoned synagogues and roman catholic spaces.... So who really wasted? And who wants another religion's leftovers by force?

I concur with Viziondetroit's point about such moves and building constructions as a wise response to an increase in the size of the congregations. And overall, a church that wants to build should have the financial infrastructure to sustain it.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate the term Megachurch.. it's never used in regards to large churches of other races. We all know there aren't any "megachurches" of other races in Detroit... but that doesn't mean we have to call them by that name.

My dad is a minister and the church they have been since 1968 used to be a Jewish Synogoage on 14th and Elmhurst. The thing about man churches in Detroit is that when one moves or builds another one, their old church is quickly reoccupied.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"For one, the term "megachurch" has come to be associated with predominantly Black churches"

Source?

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We all know there aren't any 'megachurches' of other races in Detroit..."

Umm...The Woodside Bible Church on Rochester in Troy is a megachurch. I know, technically it's not in "Detroit", but it's still a megachurch that's probably predominately white.

I already had a thread about this subject...

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ If you can find an article or reference calling it a megachurch I stand corrected.

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Detroitrise:

Please give attention to the part about where many of these megachurches are: in the South: more Black churches in the South... Texas and Georgia were mentioned specifically.

***apologies for the icky formatting***

2007 Research Article: "Exploring the Use of Large Displays in American Megachurches"

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~euge nem/pubs/wyche-medynskiy-grint er%20exploring%20use%20large%2 0display%20american%20megachur ches%20CHI.pdf

Megachurches
Megachurches represent a significant and growing trend in current religious life [4]. The Hartford Institute for Religion Research recently reported that there are currently 1,210 megachurches and this number is growing. Though there is no strict definition, all megachurches tend to share certain characteristics, including their size and location. Megachurches have a
regular weekly attendance of 2000+ members and
sanctuaries that can seat 1,400 to 3,000 people.

They are most abundant in the exurbs of the southern states, with more than half of them located in Texas, Florida, Georgia, and California. Our research team had the unique advantage of being in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, a city with a high concentration of megachurches.

Attending a megachurch is different from worshipping at a smaller, more traditional church. Unlike these churches, many megachurches deemphasize their denomination affiliation for two reasons. First, megachurches’ reputations, programs, and, most importantly, their leaders attract members more than their doctrinal positions [4]. Second, megachurches target people who have left traditional churches and
the “unchurched.” They believe attracting those who have never attended church involves creating a new worship experience. Specifically, one that differs from the more formal qualities associated with Christian Protestant worship in the United States.

Megachurches are also adopting technology more
aggressively than smaller churches [1]. The increased affordability of screens, projection equipment, personal computers and PowerPoint style software has made technologies attractive to large and small congregations. For many churches, “media ministry” – the incorporation of multimedia elements to augment or replace more traditional elements of Christian worship – is fast becoming the norm.

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Detroitrise #2:

Here's a 1995 NYT article that said:

Many megachurches are largely white. But some of the fastest growing -- in Houston, Philadelphia and suburban Washington -- are predominantly black, spiritual homes to congregations drawn by ministers skilled in both preaching and management.

Scholars caution against confusing the megachurch movement and its ministers with the television evangelists of the 1980's, who preached from the insulated safety of television studios, far removed from the oversight of deacons or elders with which most church pastors must reckon. Megachurch money -- primarily from the collection plates -- goes to support the activities and amenities that draw people in the first place, and the buildings that house them.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/f ullpage.html?res=940CE4DF173BF 935A25757C0A963958260&sec=&spo n=&pagewanted=all

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://pewforum.org/events/ind ex.php?EventID=80

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M egachurch

http://hirr.hartsem.edu/cgi-bi n/mega/db.pl?db=default&uid=de fault&view_records=1&ID=*&sb=4&State=MI

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foxyscholar, you're still basing that off an assumption.

Where's your book source?

Mega Churches date back to the beginning of time (the huge temples around downtown Detroitr are perfect examples), and majority of them had all sorts of attendance (not just Black people).

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, as proof of your assertion that Megachurch = black church, you provide an article stating "Many megachurches are largely white"? Nice.

Of the churches that I would consider "megachurches," they are predominantly white, BY FAR.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3005
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Focusonthed said.

So I don't think it's hardly fair to say For one, the term "megachurch" has come to be associated with predominantly Black churches, especially after contradicting yourself.

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh....

Detroitrise: firstly, I knew that whatever source I might have presented would be scrutinized. I can handle that. What makes a research article any less credible than a book?

I posted the second article (a 1995 article) to show the EVOLUTION of the term that has APPARENTLY occurred to apply to now be more associated to BLACK churches. Another decade from now, megachurch could be more associated with another religion/race/culture/combinat ion thereof. What you call contradiction, I call a REVIEW OF LITERATURE.

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mega Churches date back to the beginning of time (the huge temples around downtown Detroitr are perfect examples), and majority of them had all sorts of attendance (not just Black people).

^^^Where's YOUR SOURCE?^^^ Hmmmm....

I'll keep it cordial....

Looks like we've arrived at an intersection with regard to the definition and application of a megachurch. The research article I posted gave a definition of a megachurch that could be applied to any type of congregation. However, with demographic changes and cultural shifts, the present definition of megachurch seems to be attached to predominantly Black congregations.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3007
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-I started my post about finding a book source before you posted the article (albeit a poor reference none the less).

-*GROWING* doesn't mean *PREDOMINATELY*

So please, just stop with the generalizations...

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 24, 2008)

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting how semantics work...I've most commonly associate the word "megachurch" with 'celebrity' preachers like Joel Osteen and T.D. Jakes. Osteen, last time I checked, is definitely not black.

There are several churches in the Detroit area that I would call 'megachurches': Woodside, Kensington, NorthRidge, Word of Faith. And to add my 2 cents worth into the discussion, I get slightly uncomfortable about churches that are so large that they need four services and take 30 minutes to clear out parking lot after each one. While these churches tend to have the resources to offer a variety of programs to worshippers, I'd like to see them start many more church plants--if they have 5,000 people attending each weekend, I think they can afford to do it.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W oodside_Bible_Church

Vizion, there's your proof it's a megachurch. It's just silly to say that "megachurch" is associated with black people, I have never associated megachurches with black people and never will. I went to a megachurch is Charlotte, NC and it was very ethnically diverse with whites, blacks, and Indians.

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh... I see your strategy Detroitrise: the four d's: discredit, diminish, dismiss, destroy.... But YOU STILL haven't produced a source. Thanks for playing.

Eastsidechris: in the research article I posted (or maybe when I was searching), the term megachurch is associated with the congregation's size and composition, not (necessarily) the leader. Joel O. may not be Black, but 30 percent of his congregation is described as such.

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wikipedia? Wow.... now that's a legit source? SMH (shaking my head)....

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For one, the term "megachurch" has come to be associated with predominantly Black churches

Says who? Where do you all get off passing such BS as fact?

It's wrong at best and racist at its worst. Are blacks the only people who can call their churches "mega", now? Check yourself!

Ever hear of Joel Osteen, Paula White, Joyce Meyer...cripe, I can't even think of all the non-race specific megachurches around today. Just turn on the TV! Jack Van Impe is from the area. Huge membership, all of them.

Joel Osteen, BTW, recycled the Houston Rockets' old arena for their new church. He could have well afforded to build a huge monolith, but did the responsible thing. It still retains it's mid-century modernistic beauty.

These other "mega-pastors" could do well to follow his example.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3008
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ahh... I see your strategy Detroitrise: the four d's: discredit, diminish, dismiss, destroy.... But YOU STILL haven't produced a source. Thanks for playing."

Why do I need a source?

Did I provide some type of information without reference?

Or are you just acting like a child because you can't prove your assumption?

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 24, 2008)

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I've seen and read a number of articles on "mega-churches" and I've never seen it applied exclusively to black churches... in either the secular or religious press.

Some of the largest churches in the Detroit area are predominately white and are referred to as mega-churches... like Northridge and Kensington to name just a couple. Kensington pulls in something like 5000 on a weekend. Often in the context of mega-churches I see references to Willow Creek in the Chicago area... 20,000 people on a weekend and predominately white suburban.

I don't know where the contrary idea is coming from but... it's not typical usage of the term.

By the way, I don't like the term in the same way I don't like most labels. Convenient perhaps, but among other things it whitewashes over differences and attitudes from church to church.

If you can find, well... numerous sources that say otherwise, I stand corrected.

(Message edited by llyn on July 24, 2008)

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tsk tsk tsk... no need to get snippy with the child remarks. I have not addressed you in such a way at all. Check upthread for that confirmation.

I asked you for a source regarding this point you made here:
"Mega Churches date back to the beginning of time (the huge temples around downtown Detroitr are perfect examples), and majority of them had all sorts of attendance (not just Black people)."

...and in fact, that was a softball request...you know, baby steps...since WE'RE acting like children and all....

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame....

Hello and hopefully you will have the opportunity to read subsequent posts. Thank you.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do I need a source?

Largely, it's so we can call you out when you make blanket BS statements, and then try to convince us it's fact.

Oh, and someone's opinion, like an editorial, isn't fact.

Fret not, Detroitrise, Foxyscholar is well known on this forum for making blanket sensational, race-bating remarks. As such, her obvious disdain for white people is readily apparent and comes shining through, as you have seen.

Or are you just acting like a child because you can't prove your assumption?

Yeah, that's it.

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fret not, Detroitrise, Foxyscholar is well known on this forum for making blanket sensational, race-bating remarks. As such, her obvious disdain for white people is readily apparent and comes shining through, as you have seen.

Hahahaahahah! Wowwwwww! This is the funniest thing I've read on this board! And it's about me? So my all of my 168 posts have been scrutinized to come up with that conclusion? Sweeetttt!
This is a wicked strategy. I get asked for a source, I produce one. I REQUEST a source and I get accused of being anti-White. 2008 is DEFINITELY the year of the delusional.

Deuces.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3010
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://hirr.hartsem.edu/megach urch/definition.html

Although very large congregations have existed throughout Christian history, there has been a rapid proliferation of churches with massive attendance since the decade of the 1970's. As such, some researchers suggest that this church form is a unique collective response to distinctive cultural shifts and changes in societal patterns throughout the industrialized, urban and suburban areas of the world.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 605
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only in Detroit could a thread asking about a church under construction end up an argument about whether megachurches are "black" or "white".....

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3017
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't like the conversation occurring in a thread, just don't respond to it (or don't even read it at all).

The original poster asked a question and it was answered. Is that a problem?

Marcnbyr
Username: Marcnbyr

Post Number: 688
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marvin Winans was enough of a Kwame guy to be onstage with him the night he celebrated his re-election. Can't say anything about his affiliation now, but in the past...

Kensington (Detroit area)
Willow Creek (Chicagoland)
Saddleback (So. Cal)
Mars Hill (Grand Rapids)

All churches I have seen referred to as "megachurches". All also predominately white. I agree with Llyn, both on the use of the term, and on the validity of the label.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 951
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard an interview with Jeff Sharlett about his book "The Family" on "Fresh Air".
Matt.5

"A compellingly brilliant account of power in America and how it's shaped by religion. 'The Family' chronicles the ideas advanced by the elite Christian fundamentalist group of that name at the highest levels of government during the past half century. Through its White House and congressional connections, the Family has influenced the deployment of US power, especially in foreign policy during the Cold War and beyond. Led by the talented and Machiavellian Doug Coe, the group has operated sub-rosa in the corridors of power unhindered by democratic accountability." [amazon.com]

They aren't just saying prayers at those prayer breakfasts.

Cub

Post Number: 653
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What The....? ^^^

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 433
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is about a failed business venture, how it affects its neighborhood, and the result (or resolution) of the situation.

Yes...a church, no less, which has its own business issues. Like, Detroit will never see a dime in taxes from this. I'll yield to more knowledgable folks on this subject.

But, it's Foxyscholar the winner, for being the first to bring up race in an inquiry about a building. Re-read the thread for verification. Aren't we supposed to be getting beyond all that, finally?

Also for a "scholar", your NY Times link was from a story published 13 YRS. ago!

Your parting gift: Look for the date of publication near the by-line, not today's date at the masthead.

Thank YOU for playing, "The Race Race"! See ya next time!

Cub

Post Number: 654
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3019
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Agreed. :-)

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The world will be a much better place when all these brainwashing megachurches close and the grannies sending their last dollars to the "Reverend" for a Mercedes find a more constructive way of filling the gaps in their lives.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford, are you serious? Not all megachurches are like that. Maybe you should do some research before you talk.

Kensington in one church that has done a lot of good. They don't just take money and line their pockets. In addition to their main campus, they have three satellite locations around the area. They have planted numerous churches in the area, including Genesis in Royal Oak and others from as far as Brighton to downriver to near Flint. They've formed alliances with existing churches including at least one in the city (their website is being updated or I could give you more details). Two or three years ago about 20-30 families put their faith in God, packed up and moved to Salt Lake City, an area not exactly well known for Christianity, to found a brand new church (K2: The Church), which is now thriving. The vision for this was actually started by a former Detroit Lion who was from there and had been touched what Kensington was doing there and wanted to see it in his hometown. There are currently families planning a similar adventure to Manhattan to found a new church in the heart of the city. They've sent members to Kenya and other parts of Africa to help build churches from the ground up.

Far as I can tell, nobody's been brainwashed. Their leaders are not driving in Mercedes. And the world is a much better place for a lot of people because of the things that they've done.

Again, I hope you were kidding. If not, do some research before you make blanket statements, otherwise you might just end up looking clueless.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7038
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh boy! so they spend all the money you send them to expanding their power base. what have they done for the poor and homeless?

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foxyscholar, I only used wikipedia as a back-up source, original source: Common sense! ...that Woodside Bible Church is a megachurch. According to its meaning, my church on 12 and Woodward (Shrine of the Little Flower) is also a megachurch. It's really pathetic that we even have to talk about this "issue".

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand by what I said and I explained the 13-year reference.

I lead by example by making my case without mocking other posters. I think critically about content without getting personal.

You all have wonderful lives because the BEST REVENGE is LIVING WELL. I'm a witness! Hallelujah!

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why, oh why, did I read this thread? I knew where it would go, and it quickly went there. Yet I read it all to this point. A glutton for punishment.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

oh boy! so they spend all the money you send them to expanding their power base. what have they done for the poor and homeless?

Among KCC and it's associated churches... quite a bit actually, between the activities of the church and the high rate of volunteerism... both locally and elsewhere. I used to be a member at Kensington and was personally part of a group from the church that went to a disadvantaged area of Brazil to build a church for a congregation there as one example. We bought the materials and did most of the construction ourselves.

And besides, christianity isn't just about helping poor people, nor is sharing the religion with others about building a power base. For some who don't understand their own religion, maybe, but I'd prefer that you not engage in the common practice of stereotyping all christians as power hungry materialists (among other stereotypes).

quote:

If you don't like the conversation occurring in a thread, just don't respond to it (or don't even read it at all).
The original poster asked a question and it was answered. Is that a problem?

Yeah, let's shove 'em off the porch! Heh, heh...
C'mon DR, no judgmentalism here, but I still hold you to higher standards than that.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what seems weird to me is that there's a crane perched on top of a huge pile of dirt there, and it's been sitting idle for weeks, if not months. now, why wouldn't a serious piece of construction equipment be called back home or somehow put into use???

[yes, i know "crane perched" is a double entendre.]

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted an answer for some of the questions about this church site. My earlier detailed post entered a dead zone.

The project has security and seems to be making some movement forward. I will find out this week and get back to you good folks.

what a great forum!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.