Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Hass Roast Beef on Conner & Outer Drive « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could any tell me if Hass is still in business at another location? It was some good eats, and the size of the turkeys and beef were huge.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3012
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess not, because I never heard of the place.

The only thing left at the corner of Conner & Outer Drive is an abandoned Beacon service station.

There was a Coney Island (under different ownership) at te corner of Outer Drive & Gratiot thst was demolished for a new one.

Was this where Hass was located?

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 24, 2008)

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was two actually , I think the other one was on Eight Mile , might have been around Sherwood. That was really good food , never had another hot beef that even came close .

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 729
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember the one on Gratiot,it was excellent!

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone remember Happy Landing BBQ on Connor........my dad wouild take me there all of the time but I didn't appreciate it then.......

Pgn421

Post Number: 730
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where was Happy Landing?

Pgn421

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what was the wild game restaurant,on Conner,by i94 ?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 755
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go to Haas when it was located on Gratiot and Outer Drive around 1970. It was a small cafeteria and had somewhat of a German theme. All the food was homemade. The major items on the menu were a huge roast of beef and an enormous roast turkey. The carver behind the turkey would ask, "light or dark, or can I mix it up for you?" The homemade dressing was delicious. as was the vegetable soup.

At some point, Haas closed. Later a restaurant named "Haas" opened up somewhat further out Gratiot. It took only one visit to convince me that it was not ever going to be anything like the former place. I didn't return.

(Message edited by Neilr on July 25, 2008)

(Message edited by Neilr on July 25, 2008)

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, I haven't heard the name Hass roast beef in years. totally forgot about that corner. I remember the funeral home corner of outer drive and gratiot across from dunkin doughnuts where the coney island now is and hass on gratiot near conner.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421, that was The Safari Restaurant. They had elephant, lion and zebra dishes to name a few.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2378
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate at Haas' on both 8 mile and the Gratiot locations, excellent chow.

Lafontaine
Username: Lafontaine

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was called Haas Prime Beef.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafontaine,
You have it right, "HAAS ROAST BEEF" That is my name also. There was one on eight mile also. I ate at the one on Gratiot many a night after a night of carousing. Great food!!

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"where was Happy Landing?"

On Conner between Whithorn and Sanford across from the airport. It was often referred to as "Crash Landings" in the neighborhood.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The address for Haas Roast Beef was 10990 Gratiot. Paul Bonus was the owner.

Pgn421

Post Number: 732
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember Happy Landing now

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife recently had a medical procedure done. Her surgeon was an older German doctor, Dr. Haas. I asked him if he practiced on cuts of roast beef. He laughed and said, "no relation."

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember vividly the Haas on Outer Drive and Gratiot by Rosa Parks Middle School, next to it was an old funeral home (I forgot the name), and a bump shop (that name escapes me also). All that was razed sometime in the 90s to build Rite Aid (just after Perry Drugs had dropped the name a year or two prior to that). Between the late 80s, early 90s, Haas relocated about a mile north of its former location, and it wasn't the same anymore. That folded and it later became Spad's Pizza which was delicious, but the problem I had with Spad's was that as good as the pizza was, it kept sticking to the cardboard that held it (I think they've gotten a lot of complaints on that which later lead to their closing).

I can recall the Elias Bros. restaurant on Conner across the street from City Airport, and I forgot what was on the SW corner of Gratiot and Outer Drive, but that Aloha restaurant, the last time I went inside, was so beautiful, you'd think you was in the burbs somewhere. I don't know about today, though. Though I stay in that area, I haven't been to Aloha in a number of years!

(any inaccuracies in this thread, please correct me if I'm wrong)

(Message edited by waxx on July 25, 2008)

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 664
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Crabb Funeral Home.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I remember vividly the Haas on Outer Drive and Gratiot by Rosa Parks Middle School"

The school was St. David High School for a number of years and is what people that lived around there "back in the day" remember it as being. The parish made a mistake building the place as it turned out.

"I can recall the Elias Bros. restaurant on Conner across the street from City Airport"

That was an A&W previous to a Big Boy. Both were a competitor to Woods(Conner&Glenfield)which was the other of the street from De La Salle.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

waxx, dunkin doughnuts was on sw corner of gratiot and outer drive where aloha restaurant is. it says that a few posts above.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haas Roast Beef was a throwback to an earlier era. Real food. Purchased, prepared and sold with pride. Enormous sandwiches. It was open late, and one night after some youthful carousing, my friends and I stopped to get a sandwich. To my surprise, I literally bumped into my uncle, a Detroit Policeman, there. Got a knuckle cracking handshake, and a warning about driving in the Conner Precinct while drinking. Scared me straight!

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, man! I had forgotten about that Dunkin Doughnuts (that was a good 20 something years ago)! I don't even know how I could've forgotten that let alon over look the thread that even mentioned it. Thanks, Whittier70 for refreshing my memory on that one. That is vividly in my head now (we used to walk up to that area coming up in the 80s).

Whithorn11446, thanks for the info about big Boy being an A&W prior to that-I'll be sure to ask mom about that. Thank you both for the corrections! I appreciate that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.