Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Captain Jolly « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember him on Channel 9?
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ toby_david.htm

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Toby David lived in Grosse Pointe during the 1960's. His son, Jerry, attended St. Ambrose elementary school for awhile, and I used to see him in church occasionally. Toby always seemed like a nice, unassuming guy. As it states in the article, he always did a lot of charitable work, especially for hospitalized kids.

Jazzfan
Username: Jazzfan

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't he live in Grosse Pointe Park? I think he lived around the block from my parent's friends.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toby David did live in Grosse Pointe.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 764
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was 7 when Captain Jolly's show was cancelled, can hardly remember it, but didn't he have an old crank telephone on the wall behind him, and when he got a call, the mouthpiece would squirt water in his face??

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Fireball XL-5", "Eighth Man"..my world revolved around their daily episodes. Poopdeck Paul needed a better name, though.

(Message edited by Larryinflorida on July 25, 2008)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Paul Schultz's son, his dad made up the name ten minutes before airtime.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than Shitface Sammy, I guess.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd hate to see the puppets from that show.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 766
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'd hate to see the puppets from that show.

They're on CSPAN.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before he chose the moniker "Poopdeck Paul" Mr. Schultz mulled over the name "Ensign Ben Dover".

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he got promoted to Rear Admiral, later.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bak,
Look what you've started.

(Message edited by ed golick on July 25, 2008)

Richard_bak

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know. It's obviously a slow Friday night for a lot of posters, Ed.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another local TV celeb who resided in GP around the time of Toby David was movie host Bill Kennedy. He lived fairly out in public view on Seven Mile (Moross) near Mack. As a student at De La Salle around this time,I heard rumor that Mr. Kennedy was fair game for local east side teens and was an object of upraised fingers, mooning and lawn jobs. Is this an Urban Legend or not? Any info, kids?

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pleased to say that Capt'ns influence was permanent. I now have the DVD box sets of "Fireball XL-5" and "Supercar"

Supa-Carrrrrrr!

Richard_bak

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could very well be. He could come across as pompous and self-important, but a lot of that was part of his shtick. I interviewed him a few times and he was always cool to me. He had a million great stories, a lot of which he couldn't use on TV or in polite company. I wish he'd written a book.

He did the voiceover for the original Superman show. Got paid a flat $300 for doing one of the most famous VO's ever.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Shitface Sammy"!Now that my oj has come flying out of my nose onto the monitor,thanks RB.I remember how creepy those shows seemed to this little kid.Can't remember which show it was on,but there was a cartoon about a family going into space and their travels.Night sweats about that one.The best show on Windsor 9 was that low budget classic Lord Layton and his wrestling buddies.The Sheik, Haystacks,Ernie Ladd.....

Suma
Username: Suma

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Captain Jolly (Toby David) also lived in East English Village. In later years his son also lived here for several years.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy,
Let's just say that there's a lot about Kennedy that didn't make the papers.

Sallypizza
Username: Sallypizza

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on the Poopdeck Paul and Captian Jolly show when I was in 1st grade or so. They had a Beatles Mimic contest and we went to Canada to "sing" Misery. It was Introducing the Beatles before they had the American release Meet the Beatles. I have the pictures on my I-pod. In case you are wondering - I was John. It was great fun.

Snoringbeagle
Username: Snoringbeagle

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember how Capt. Jolly would make his biceps jump. I was reading this with my hands on my head and unconsciously started doing it. :-)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sallypizza,
Share, please.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 769
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The best show on Windsor 9 was that low budget classic Lord Layton and his wrestling buddies.The Sheik, Haystacks,Ernie Ladd.

Big Time Wrestling, my brothers and I rarely missed the show on Saturday afternoons..some of the other wrestlers were Bobo Brazil,(good guy) Wild Bull Curry (bad guy...bites!), his son Flying Fred Curry (good guy to bad guy) Mark Lewin (good guy, sleeper hold?) Mighty Igor (good guy) Cannonball (bad guy) Pampero Firpo, (bad guy) Nikoli Volkov and Boris Volkov, The Kangaroos, The Hells Angels, The Texas Outlaws, Big Time Wrestling lasted from the early 60s to the late 70s.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 440
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to join the Navy because of the Capt.!

Luckly, 8 year olds were exempt from the draft.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 734
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suma-I think Capt Jolly lived on Harvard off Mack. In EEV. I lived on Bishop off Mack, and from what the rumors were, thats what the neighbors said.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 267
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father was a stockboy back in the day & said even though he drove a new Imperial that cheap-ass George Pierrot would never tip....& he couldn't even grant total consciousness on your deathbed, either. I'm all ears for a good Bill Kennedy story, tho http://jim.rees.org/trips/kenn edy

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dick the Bruiser reigns!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders_field -

I was on a plane from LAX to Detroit Metro in the early 70's with most of those wrestlers you mention. We had a few drinks in the back of the plane. I think it was Flying Fred Curry, who had no neck, and his voice sounded like gravel in a garbage disposal. But he really talked that way. The nicest guys you could ever meet.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Supa-Carrrrrrr!" I hear ya Larry !

My own box set of a different kind :-)

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the Marvel of the Age, Ragtoplover.=)

Flanders_field

Post Number: 773
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved the evil fish who plotted against the marionettes inside the Supercar, esp the one with the glasses, LOL!!

Damn...that was a looong time ago!!

(Message edited by Flanders_field on July 26, 2008)

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders_field,
Good list of wrestlers you have there, One of my fav's was Sailor R Thomas.

I also remember when "Pretty Boy Bobby Heenan" was always getting his head busted open by someone, and he wasn't even wrestling.

And I seem to recall that "Dick the Bruiser" was to have had a steel plate in his head, I kind of thought of him as an early version of the Bionic Man.

Flanders_field

Post Number: 774
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats a mint condition school lunchbox, Ragtop, I presume you collect them.

I had a Gunsmoke lunchbox as a schoolkid, one day I when I was walking home from school, I noticed that the latch of the lunchbox had opened, and my thermos was missing. I retraced my steps and found it near a curb a few blocks back, crushed flat by a car, apparently.

Needless to say, I got punished when I told my mother what happened to it.

Sallypizza

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the photos requested - ENJOY : ) I am the Beatle on the right - 1964 - Poopdeck Paul Show.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sallypizza,
Please email me.
detroittvguy at hotmail.com

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 292
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool pictures Sally, Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Username: Steve

Post Number: 242
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lord Layton hosted Big Time Wrestling on Channel 9.
Fred Wolf hosted the wrestling show on Channel 7. What was its name? And where did Sam Menaker fit in? Didn't he host Big Time Wrestling for a while?

Although I liked Larry Chene, Louis Klein, Ricky "the Crusher" Cortez and the others, I always preferred Big Time Wrestling.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 816
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to Louie Klein's gym in Allen Park in the 60's!

Steve
Username: Steve

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Crusher Cortez vs. Larry Chene at the Oak Park High gym in 1965. Something tells me you never would have seen the Bruiser in a place like that.

Sallypizza

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I took my cousin to see "The Mighty Egor" at JF Kennedy High School in Taylor 1973/74? special event and I could not believe it. He jumped off the balcony onto his back. The Mighty Egor swung him around and carried him off into the dressing room. Michael finally came out (thank God - I was 16 and did not want to get in trouble for loosing my little cuz). He told me "It's all real, I saw the big bruses." But I think this thread got off track a bit.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the water squirting from the phone was a Soupy Sales gag, wasn't it?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next to Soupy's door was a knothole with a cork in it and a sign overhead that read "Do Not Touch." When Soupy pulled the cork out, he would get soaked.

When Captain Jolly's phone rang he would pick up the receiver, say 'hello," and water would squirt out of the mouthpiece.

Didn't take much to entertain us back in the day.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.