Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit, A Dying City » Archive through July 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3062
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters for some reasons can't se (or ignore) the fact that The Motor City has been dieing a slow death since 1967.

The once Big 3 are on hands & knees because of the poor economy. Without Ford, GM, or Chrysler, Detroit is virtually nothing.

The public school system is on the verge of destruction with corrupt people controlling it.

Every year, Detroit continues to have groups of people fleeing town for better places to live only to leave behind a empty house that will likely be demolsihed sooner or later.

Belle Isle is in its worse shape yet with nearly of the attractions it was once famous for only a memory.

The emergency response system is so corrupt in Detroit that can't afford to have a serious emergency because the operators will think you're joking.

We've lost several police & fire stations in the past few years which continue to sit vacant after a poor re-structuring plan that hasn't solved a thing (we're still the most dangerous city in the U.S.A.)

Nearly all retail except dollar stores, beauty shops & liquor stores have abandoned the city. You can't even find a coffee shop within walking distance of many neighborhoods.

Sure, there's been a bit of light within the immediate core. However, the economic base is outside of the core, so that really limits the downtown Detroit's full potential at a comeback. Plus, its hardly making up for the surrounding areas in decline.

I just don't undestand why people can't see this or choose to ignore this. The city needs tough love in order to come back (not hate or spoiling). Accept the fact that these issues must be fixed and let's not worry so much about a glossy skyscraper in the middle of Campus Martius.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 453
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep talking.........

talk to the hand

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, thanks. You told us absolutely nothing we don't already know. It's been lamented upon for the past 40 years.

Perhaps, those that are here want to make the best of Detroit, and work to see it become a better place.

If its dead and miserable, move the fuck out.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3066
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame, you can take that hand and stick it up where it belongs on your body.

I just can't wait until the day I say "I told you so, but no one chose to listen..."

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, you can't wait for the day the detroit is declared "dead?" Are you hoping for the demise of 900,000 people? WTF is wrong with you, weatherman?

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 671
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The emergency response system is so corrupt in Detroit that can't afford to have a serious emergency because the operators will think you're joking."

Corrupt is the wrong word regarding the Fire Department; broken may be better. Not enough people, not enough money to fix the obvious problems. KK made sure of that.

"We've lost several police & fire stations in the past few years which continue to sit vacant after a poor re-structuring plan that hasn't solved a thing (we're still the most dangerous city in the U.S.A.)"

Wait until KK starts laying off more firefighters, then you'll really see and feel the pinch.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3067
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Corrupt is the wrong word regarding the Fire Department; broken may be better. Not enough people, not enough money to fix the obvious problems. KK made sure of that."

Buyamerican,

That's because all the people with the money & power left. The Fire Department isn't corrupt, but the overall system that ends at them is very corrupt indeed.

When all the people with money & power leave, you simply lose the vibe.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's trying to get a "rise" out of the faithful....get it? LOL

Spirit, this pathetic squawker just wants attention, even negative attention. "Somebody responded...oh, boy!"

Imagine the draconian hell of living somewhere you hate. This guy likes being miserable, obviously, or he would have moved.

Actually, I pity poor "D-fall". He can't even come up with a snappy comeback. "Stick it??" Please. Real Detroiters are more creative than that.

Personally, I think he's lonely. No wonder, with that attitude. He feels left out, poor schmuck.

Good.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Spirit, this pathetic squawker just wants attention, even negative attention. 'Somebody responded...oh, boy!'"

Don't feed the troll.

"Imagine the draconian hell of living somewhere you hate. This guy likes being miserable, obviously, or he would have moved."

That's because I care for my city & I don't want to see it die like this.

Besides, if I leave, it will only eventually lead to less money in the coffers (whatever Kwame hans't taken) and another vacant lot.

"Actually, I pity poor 'D-fall'. He can't even come up with a snappy comeback. "Stick it??" Please. Real Detroiters are more creative than that."

Yeah, real Detroiters would use judge someone they don't even know.

Personally, I think he's lonely. No wonder, with that attitude. He feels left out, poor schmuck.

Hardly. Unlike you who does nothing but posts somebody's nasty hand and other people who go around targeting others with insults, I have more important things to do.

"Good."

Is that the best you can come up with? PLEASE! Don't waste my valuable time with terrible posts.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 26, 2008)

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 321
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been to Detroit since the 1970's. I recently found, on You Tube, "tours" you can take - people driving around with camcorders. I didn't realize that Detroit was in that bad of shape. There is a "tour" down Grand River, including an area I almost moved in to. I am still in shock. Detroit needs help. Detroit has always been there for the rest of the country, and now it's time the rest of the country to step up for Detroit. It's not as simple as I had thought it would be, but it must be done. It's bad karma to turn your back on an old friend.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3073
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz, I completely agree.

Now Detroit is in deep water and everyone turns their back on us. Nice guys always finish last.

"It's bad karma to turn your back on an old friend."

Yeah it is. The whole situation never ends well for anyone.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7536
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have talked about the how "invisible" segregated Detroit was, like any other northern U.S. cities, designed to have all people on colors in one small slum ghetto basket.

Detroit has gone through since the boomtown days of the 20th Century segregation:
xenophobia
The Dr. Ossian Sweet Case
The Mayor Charles Bowles problem
the 1943 "race" riots
the restrictive covenant problems that led into the Mc Ghee's vs. The McPherson case
freeways
new cookie cutter suburbs
the destruction of Black Bottom and Paradise Valley
the 1967 riots
accelerated white flight
STRESS "Secret" Police force
The election of Coleman A. Young
poor police force
economic flight
the destruction of Poletown( I called Coleman Young's revenge)
black population growth to every last Detroit neighborhoods after 1975
loss of manufactoring jobs
crack epidemic
poor schools system
gentrification Kilpatrick's Manoogian Party
his text sex with Christine Beatty
and the push off of Mike Cox.

These are the primary symptoms that people of Detroit is going through and talking about it will not make these symptoms go away. If you want of it gone TAKE ACTION. Do your part to save Detroit from its own personal urban suicide.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3074
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always do my part to help.

However, it's only so much one person can do. No one's a superman or superwoman.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 443
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This entire thread has little purpose or meaning. If you wanted to discuss the cause and effects of Detroit, and the dilemmas it faces, why did you start a new thread?-?-?-?-?

There are 100's of threads on DYes that already discuss this subject. The fact that people continue to reiterate and reinstate those thoughts can only shun others from the cities revitalization efforts. This furthermore makes those newbies opposers of the people and places that make this city historical.

I have my own biases about this city/region, so I am no saint either. The true crime exists where we have little to no control over whether or not the politicians running offices from the Governor down can't get their heads out of the sand and fix the system.

Whether or not poor voting got us into this mess is irrelevant. Sometimes the choices are lose-lose. But somewhere along the way, power has shifted from the citizens to the politicians. Accountability was thrown out and people began turning a blind eye to the slow decay of Detroit.

I guess i'll finish with this........

When and where will {you} finally decide the city is out of trouble and on the right track?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3075
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jus tike any other person with morals would decide with any other city, when the population stops shrinking, our politiicans stop making headline news for somthing negative, new people (outside of Michigan) actually want to visit & move into the city, and the crime is lowered.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 445
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There you go Drise. Now make it happen.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3077
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't save a city by myself.

850,000 people, 4 million, or better yet, 300 million can.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be happening.

So there you go Tkshreve. The city will continue to die a slow death.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 26, 2008)

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what are you on?

Suma
Username: Suma

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, your extremely vulgar response to Eastsidedame was uncalled for. I thought this forum was meant to be an earnest dialogue regarding Detroit issues. No one questions Detroit is in free fall from its problems. Almost Everyone (non detroiters) assumes that the residents and non resident supporters are buffoons. Sorry, you are wrong. This city has many amazing folk with an energy you can't seem to fathom. Neighborhood groups and non profits have achieved many stellar projects. If you don't want to be a part of the solution move to the Free Press Forum where city bashing and rascism seem to be welcome. I grew up in the city and am now back to stay but have also lived in other suburban communities. Some were great and others sucked. The ones that sucked were city bashing communities (ie: small minded racists) which community do you live in?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3078
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suma, take a wild guess.

Detroit news has a full page that supports my overall point.

Never once did I say Detroit was dead right now. However, we all know Detir has been shrinking at a steady pace since 1953 and if it took 55 yers to lose 1.1 million people, it will only be a matter of time to lose the remaining people if we don't do something (together).

However, a city with no people will die. The people remaining with all the energy will have to die one day. No to mention with the lack of jobs (in addition to the poor schools), we're hardly seeing any new life.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3079
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/specialrepo rts/2001/elmhurst/

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7539
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise,

You don't need to be Superman, Superwoman or the Dark Knight (Batman) I want you to be a hero for Detroit. Even one person can change a community or perhaps change the world.

Look what happen to Mahatma Ghandi and Martin Luther King.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I FIRMLY believe a person sees what they choose to see, and manifest what they believe.

Not ignoring the blight - and sure, you're right on some levels - you can see large, marked improvements throughout various areas of the city. Signs of life - more than signs, straight out freeway billboards of it - throughout town.

Now, I DO agree, although it was a bitter presentation, that there is too much focus (especially on this board) about glittering skyscrapers. They're great projects, but frankly, they don't have the impact people think they do. I would almost argue that they don't matter that much, now having been experienced in business and realizing that Compuware relocating doesn't make a damn notch in positive experiences. It's important to us, but to the outside world, they could care less, if not despise Detroit for taking their jobs.

But what makes a significant impact?

Small business. I love to hear about the success of K9 to 5. Or the Bureau of Urban Living. Or the Crepe stand. Or Blooms. Or Traffic Jam and Snug. In fact, I can tell you Traffic Jam has won way more converts in my experience than Compuware relocating because YOU CAN MAKE MEMORIES THERE. You don't make memories or significant experiences with Compuware. But you do at the Festival of the Arts. You do in a friend's funky loft.

Neighborhood groups. ACTIVE residents. Volunteers. Detroit is built and will be rebuilt on the shoulders of the adventurous, the risk-takers - who by the way, will reap large rewards if they succeed.

Where one man may see a busted out house, I remember the former crackhouses I've helped tear down over on the west side. I see things like what Motor City Blight Busters are doing with the artists' village. Is it Birmingham or Troy? No. But it sure isn't desolation. It sure IS progress.

As someone who's been around while now - there is nothing better than getting your hands dirty and cleaning up a park, or donating to a cause, or raising thousands of dollars of other people's money to buy computers for job training - I KNOW there is bad stuff happening. And sure, the progress isn't perfect.

But you know what? Instead of sitting on the sidelines, go have some ribs over on the eastside. Or stop into the sweet potato pie shop on the westside that wasn't there before. Detroit is not a science experiment; nor is it a foreign country; nor is it to be pitied, or coddled, and it doesn't need or want your saving. I had to learn that before I could start really making a difference.

It DOES need your help as part of the community. So go do something. There are lots of people doing something, DR, together, all over the city. You've just chosen not to see it so far.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3084
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Where one man may see a busted out house, I remember the former crackhouses I've helped tear down over on the west side."

What has been replaced to infill that home?

Again, I do my part in the community. I support Detroit business, I try to pick up random litter when I can, I support the events Detroit has to offer.

"Detroit is not a science experiment; nor is it a foreign country; nor is it to be pitied, or coddled, and it doesn't need or want your saving. I had to learn that before I could start really making a difference."

Agreed, everyone needs to work together in this.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't think Detroitrise and I could ever agree on anything lol....kudos on the post.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for someone claiming to "help out as much as I can" and not being able to "do it all myself" you sure dont seem to be doing much.

You clean up the occasional litter when you can? (because sometimes you certainly can't)
You watch the fireworks or go to a parade?

Wow. You're a real go-getter!

For someone who has, in every post you've made in this thread, reiterated that you're doing your part, I am not too impressed.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the case of that situation, two 700 sq. ft homes were demolished to build a new, 1000-1200 sq. ft home. They had already built three on the block in the same way. 700 sq. feet is too small to sell, even to a family with subsidy.

You're picking up random litter. That's great. To quote Chris Rock, "That's what you're SUPPOSED to do. Do you want a cookie?" I don't mean to be cold, but you want Detroit to turn around you're gonna have to "Do Work, Son."

Maybe you don't see the bright side because you're not involved enough to see it.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3089
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The overall question I can't find an answer for, is the bulb bright enough to light the room?

I see the bulb & I see that it's on, but it doesn't look bright enough to light the entire room.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suma said... "The ones that sucked were city bashing communities (ie: small minded racists) which community do you live in?"

I wouldn't talk about small minded racists when Detroit has one of the biggest racist in Michigan at the helm at this moment.

Digitalvision said... "Detroit is not a science experiment; nor is it a foreign country; nor is it to be pitied, or coddled, and it doesn't need or want your saving"

That is very obvious, especially the "and it doesn't need or want your saving"
This is the exact reason Detroit is in the situation it's in today...Detroit (the administration especially) doesn't want suburban help. Look at the pathetic picture Detroit paints today.

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 322
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BuyAmerican, that's interesting. I met a guy (he was black, for what it matters) who lived in the Plymouth/Schoolcraft area before moving here. He said that until Detroit gets rid of its' political leaders, not much can happen. He said it's almost as if the city leaders WANT to see the city fail, so they can blame it on each other and everybody else.