Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Moving to Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Krimima
Username: Krimima

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm moving to Midtown this week and the last post I made arose some interest. So, I thought I'd start a new thread discussing the pros and cons of moving to Detroit.
Everyone's reaction to me moving has been rather annoying. It always goes like this:

Me: "Yeah I'm moving in a few weeks."
Them: "Oh that's great!! Where to?"
Me: "Detroit."
Them: "What!? Why!?" (accompanied by a disgusted/confused facial expression)

Seriously, EVERY TIME. So I explain that I love Detroit and I genuinely want to move there. (At this point they still have the confused look on there face). Then I say that I go to Wayne so it's convenient and then they look slightly less horrified and say, "Well...good luck..." One of my coworkers (an older motherly type) CRIED when I told here I was moving to Detroit. She said that if she was standing in Redford and her ball rolled over to Detroit she wouldn't even go get- THAT is how scared she is of the city. But I guess that's what the local news will do to you.
It definitely wasn't an easy decision- there are a lot of things about the city I don't like and there are times when I'm genuinely scared and uncomfortable. I've had friends whose apartments were broken into while they were there, friends with stolen cars, friends mugged while walking to class and I was once attacked at a gas station. But the pros, for me, have far outweighed the cons. For one, it's affordable and there are some of the most beautiful houses and apartments I've ever seen. Two, I need to get out of my parents' house and I want to be in a city and around people my age. But mostly it's just Detroit. I feel like the city is my lazy, loser child that everyone has given up on. Come on Detroit, we can do this! We can be that city we've always wanted to be! I envision it, I see the beauty. It's just not quite there yet. There is so much potential it makes me crazy. So, I've decided to be part of the solution.
Now, I ask you- why did you move to Detroit or why would you never?? Any advice for me?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll be fine and you will enjoy Midtown.

WSU is a great school.

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I would do Krimima is start carrying a grenade around with you in your coat. If someone even dares to harass you, mug you, etc, open up your coat to reveal the grenade and say to the offender, "Why so serious? Com'n now. Let's not BLOW things out of proportion."

A free Lafayette Coney Island dog to the first person who knows the reference.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dark Knight?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3115
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll pass.

Maybe an American Coney Island dog, but not a Lafayette. :-)

Ljbad89

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also:
Pros: Big city feel
Friendly people
Beautiful views of the river
Lafayette & American Coney Islands.
WSU is a good school.
You can get almost anywhere if you know the buses routes well
Good places towards and in downtown for a young person like yourself

Cons: Some people aren't so nice.
Abandoned and burnt out buildings ftl
Although I haven't ever encountered any crime first hand, like any big city, there is crime.

Krimima
Username: Krimima

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the Joker! Maybe we should start a comparison of Gotham to Detroit thread?
But I'll pass on the coney- I'm a vegetarian.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you moving from?

Ljbad89

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Islandman wins. You free Thursday afternoon?

Also, I've found both have their pros and cons. I like Lafayette because getting to their bathroom reminds me of a submarine. :P I always thought the people were nicer at American. Both have great Coneys. One night my friend Nathan and I went downtown and ate at both for kicks. Good times, good times.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, that is the most disgusting post I think I've ever seen.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just last week, I had three folks tell me they'd hire us if we weren't based in the city. And these are well-educated folks with masters degrees and very successful monetarily. This happens more than I want to admit.

Every other event I go to with people I don't know (and don't know my passions) they look at my card, realize I'm white, and ask why I'm not in Royal Oak or Troy, and "what is a young, white professional doing supporting the city of Detroit? Do I wear a flack jacket to work? Are you crazy? Don't you know they don't want you there? I won't go there, my car will get stolen." In short, the business version of what you see, Krimina.

So I've switched to a mostly national clientele base. People in Boston, Denver or Dallas don't care about such things. But it's very frustrating and challenging.

The region, in general, has not improved it's perception of the city at all.

We have information (that I can't publish in detail because it was part of a venture capital groups' private data) that out of 200 surveyed it found that over 40% of suburban business decision makers dismissed proposals immediately from Detroit-based businesses (DBBs). This was with no other information about the company being presented, and was surveyed with anonymous data so that decision makers could share how they actually felt. They often cited trust and fear of theft as reasons for their immediate dismissal.

I don't know if there are holes in the study, the methodology, etc., but it's pretty clear how the table is set.

p.s. - if it wasn't clear in my post, I'm talking about selling to businesses; I think retail has fewer barriers.

People will break off $20 or $150 bucks at the bar or for a shirt or something. And anyone can spend $20 on something; not everyone has the authority to spend $2000-$150,000.

(Message edited by digitalvision on July 27, 2008)

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the best place to live in Southeast Michigan, voted by me. I was in your shoes two years ago and have loved the last two years living in Midtown.
My advice for what its worth;
1. Cut the local media out of your life as much as possible, most of it just gives everyone such a warped lens of what it is like to live in our city. Read modelD and listen to WDET.
2. Now that you are a resident, sign the petition to have the mayor removed.
3. Educate your friends and family that the city is key to the regions future. You are part of the solution, they are not if all they do is badmouth us.
4. Spend your money in the city and buy detroit products, shopping at costco is out.
5. Be smart, there are two types criminals in the area. a.Homeless who have nothing to lose, (there is alot in the area and they are mostly harmless) some will break your car window for the change in the counsol. b.Real criminals, (much less of them), mostly auto theft. They do have something to lose and if you have an alarm or other theft deterrent, they will skip to the next unlucky car owner.
6. You are not alone. I keep seeing more and more young people living in the midtown area. Regardless of what ignorant people from this region think, the midtown population is increasing. And its such a great diversity of people, unlike yuppified Royal oak.
7. Don't get discouraged. You are going to see things that make you wonder, why the hell isn't that person keeping up their property, or who the hell would break that window for the hell of it. You have to stay positive and focus on the improvements. Most of Detroit has been "1 step forward, two steps back" for a long time, but Midtown is finally "1 step back and two steps forward"

Sorry this was so random.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7553
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Move to Detroit. That's where the action is.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5195
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post by Lo_to_d. Make up your own mind on point no. 2, though.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3336
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Digitalvision

What type of business does your company do?

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

join us!

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Echo Lo_to_d. Few other things:

re: 6) Try not to hold resentment toward the yuppified Royal Oakers. Many of them would love to see Detroit blossom into the big city we could be. We'll need their help to get there.

re: 3) There is a big perception gap between the media and reality in Detroit. Especially Downtown Detroit. As I bring more and more friends in the city to enjoy some of the nightlife they are amazed that they hadn't seen some of this stuff before. Bring your friends and family here. I'd bet your friends living on the fringe of Redford/Detroit think all of Detroit looks like that. It doesn't. In 10 years it will be you and your friends doing business with each other...that will go a long way toward bringing economic development back into the city.

Next, go check out the Detroit Athletic Club. Still one of the premier clubs in the country. Voted as one of the top 5 athletic clubs nationwide consistently, and at your age it's a STEAL. They'll waive the $5000 initiation fee, and discount your monthly dues. It will be great for making new friends who love Detroit as well as connections for your career.

Contact me if you want me to set up a tour.

There's a lot of energy going into bringing money back into the city. A lot of it is happening in that building.

Why am I moving back?
- It's my home. I grew up here and left for 12 yrs. As Kanye say, "I'm comin home again..."

- The opportunity for advancement is amazing. In no other part of the region are there so many opportunities to revitalize combined with a an aging workforce and a sheer vacuum of qualified leaders.

Anyone under 35, qualified to lead, and not thinking about leaving the city? Yeah, it's a pretty tight knit group.

The challenge is not easy, but the rewards for you both personally and professionally will be huge. I think that everyone in SE Michigan would be thrilled if Detroit had a B- administration and a B- level City Council.

Seriously, the bar is not that high.

- You will be buying low and selling high. If you are moving downtown/midtown area and buy a unit, it's pretty likely that in 10 years you'll be happy that you did. One day we will look at the fact that you could've bought into the Book Cadillac for under 300k and laugh.

- Lastly, I've never been one to live in a city and spend every waking moment in it. Even in high school (in Detroit), many of my friends were from Rochester, Troy, and Bloomfield. So one nice thing about Detroit is that it's centrally located, with access to all the major highways, and it's a great place for all your friends to meet up with you.

If you've ever done the post-bar night drive from Livonia to Royal Oak or Novi to Troy, you'll understand.

Welcome to Detroit. Bring your young, educated, disposable income friends with you. Stay on the forefront of change. And remember, we are ALL mayor of this city. You want change? Make it happen.

YPD

(Message edited by youngprofessionaldetroiter on July 28, 2008)

Norm
Username: Norm

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Youngprofessionaldetroiter,

Where did you go to high school?

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U of D High...Go Cubs :-)

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 424
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
'out of 200 surveyed it found that over 40% of suburban business decision makers dismissed proposals immediately from Detroit-based businesses (DBBs)'

That's because they know that we are smarter than them:-).

seriously, that's very interesting DV. i'm not sure how to address this one. I have my opinions...but, we all know what those are like.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH!

i forgot the whole point of the thread, that little stat threw me for one.

Welcome to the City Krimima!
You're going to love midtown....buy the club (for what it's worth).

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simply being white and from or moving to Detroit will elicit reactions from suburbanites. I'm making the assumption you are white(or at least, not African-American), if that is not the case, I apologize, but that is why I feel I get most of the reactions I do.
One time I went to a clinic out by my dad's house in the suburbs. My Detroit address stunned the reception. Yet the doctor, who was from Chicago, didn't bat an eye, but instead talked to me about the exciting events and festivals in Midtown.
People in this region are VERY VERY provincial, anti-urban, and racist to some degree, in what I would say are exorbitant numbers.

Be that as it may, crime is high in the city, and I do not buy into this whole, "like any other big city..." thing, either. It is, except higher. Mostly the violent crime occurs in the 'hood between angry hood dwellers though.
If you're a young female, don't go walking around at night alone.
Carry pepper spray.
Keep an eye out. Look around you and over your shoulder periodically. Make sure people around you notice that you notice them. Be aware.
Avoid any person or group of people or situation that makes you uneasy. Trust your gut.

That's all...Midtown is great, you will love it. Welcome to the city.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would recommend that if you have a vehicle that you keep the fact that you just moved to Detroit unknown to your insurance company. My insurance jumped up $300 (nearly doubled) for PLPD for just changing my address to Detroit, which is completely back-ass-wards due to the fact that now I drive about 85% less and live within a mile from work. I ended up arguing with my insurance company over the phone and told them that I would park my car at my parents house (75 miles north of here) every night. They then reduced my premium from $620 to $380.

Pricks.

This is prolly meant for another thread but I called up a lawyer about the unfairness/discrimination/red lining of the insurance companies charging by zip codes and not driving distance. He said that he agreed with me but the battle has already been fought and the MI supreme court sides with the INS companies.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have opinions, too, JB3. They ain't pretty opinions, either.

But back to the thread, I think it's great Detroit is going to get a +1! I am so excited for you. There are SO many great things happening. My experience living in the city was generally positive.

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One reason why so many businesses in the suburbs refuse to business with Detroit-based businesses is the same reason why people cringe when they find out you're moving there.

They DON'T KNOW anyone in Detroit.
But that's changing. Because now they know YOU.

I have clients from Macomb County all the way to Washtenaw. All of them enjoy doing business with me. And had you asked them a year ago if they would do business with someone who lived and resided in Detroit, they'd all have probably said no.

Except now, they can't say that anymore.

Yes, I know that there are lots of structural problems with being a business owner in Detroit. I can't even imagine the bureaucracy going into starting and operating a business here. Yes we need better schools, better city services, better education, and lower crime.

That being said, the only reason why suburbanites are reluctant to do business with already existing Detroit businesses is simply because we're not good enough salesmen. I can already sense just being on this board for a few weeks that there is a lot of animosity and hurt toward people in the suburbs.

I'm sure all of it is valid. I'm also sure that it makes it hard for us to sell our goods and services to them. It makes it hard to build relationships with them. It makes it hard to earn their trust. Whose fault is it? Maybe Detroiters'. Maybe not. But it doesn't matter who broke it, it's our responsibility to fix it.

I hate to say it, bur in the marketplace of business, it is we Detroiters who need to earn their trust. Not the other way around.

That being said, for those who have the salesmanship and leadership abilities, the treasure is bountiful. Labor costs are extremely low, and they are literally giving away commercial real estate to developers who can find a way to turn it into money.

I agree with Digitalvision. Detroit gets a +1 with you. Stay here, bring your friends, and go sell Detroit. At the end of the day, if Detroiters can learn to bring to the marketplace the things in demand...all this Kwame Kilpatrick stuff can still make the front page news, but it won't stop us from becoming a great city.

YPD

Norm
Username: Norm

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Youngprofessionaldetroiter,

I'm a U of D grad too. I'm glad to hear you are such an advocate for Detroit. I hope to move back in the near future but am currently working and living in Washington, DC.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.