Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Michigan is worst in nation in graduating black males » Archive through July 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3334
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The study shows Michigan graduates just 33 percent of black males compared to 74 percent of white males, according to the report "Given Half a Chance: the Schott 50 State Report on Public Education and Black Males."

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080725/METRO /807250429/1361

No surprises there, Michissippi.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sad, but not surprising.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The numbers still aren't stellar for white folks - 26% - don't graduate? What country do we live in?

I guess I'm spoiled. I went somewhere where 98% of students graduated. I feel anything less than 95% is unacceptable no matter your color, and you want to be in the 98-99% range. That shows the parents and the entire school community has a true commitment to education. However, it starts with parents - kids drop out at those kind of numbers because parents aren't doing their duty as parents.

A couple kids out of a hundred may have real issues - but not 30 or 66 out of a hundred. That's the people who are supposed to be caring for them failing them.

This could explain why 2/3rds of black children are doing worse off than their parents as far as earning power.

My dad made $15-20k a year as a single parent when I was a kid, but he, my grandmother, my neighbors, they always made sure I was going to school. It isn't about money.. it's priorities.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another sad sign of Michigan’s generational reliance on the auto labor industry.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unequivocally, the stumbling block to the future of Michigan . Especially the southeastern region. The real tragedy is that it won't change and most likely continue to decline. Basically just as the rich ,typically get richer, the dumb(uneducated) get dumber(less educated).If the trend ever does reverse it will be generations from now.There really needs to be a revelation in the way the education system is administered and implemented. Qualified and moral people running the scoo's,year round classes,classroom discipline etc..
I personally feel that there needs to be some sort of boot camp style of schooling. Primarily for the trouble makers . Back in the day, some friends were sent off to military school. When they came back their attitude markedly changed.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10231
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it Michigan's fault? These people know that education is the key to having a better future. Maybe if they tried harder to do better in HS instead of trying to impress their friends with thier latest shoes they would or could have graduated by now.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No dads

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one is saying it's Michigan's fault, however, it was very common, not too long ago, for public school teachers to encourage their students to drop out of school and get a job at “the factory". When this happens over several generations a culture of ignorance, aversion, and suspicion of education manifests. On second thought, maybe it is Michigan’s fault, if only on these grounds alone…

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 676
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read studies that there is tremendous peer pressure in many inner city schools to not perform. I've read that the kid who's good at basketball is left alone but bullies are all over the kids with the books. Anyone on the form have any first hand accounts of this?

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So who is making the decisions?

In a proper home, it sure as hell isn't the the kid with the elevated testosterone. Its the mother and most importantly the father.

No dad? Send him to parochial school where a thoughtful priest can whack him on the knuckles with a golf club if he isn't keeping his grades up.

No money for a parochial school?.....That is why we need vouchers.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7515
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan is worst in nation in graduating black males

That's not a problem for white folks, but a problem for the black community and it's leaders.

Let the oppression continue.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually its a problem for us all

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3026
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't matter what color the faces are painted, they're still young human beings with a brain who have the potential to be something in the world.

Danny

Post Number: 7518
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish_mafia

Most white folks had notice the "black problem" for hundreds of years. They tried to cover it up with oppression and it work for some black folks.

If white folks noticed that thier kids are graduating, they would step in. Same goes with the black folks.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the "old days", high school dropouts were usually either the troublemakers who wouldn't go along with the school discipline policy, or kids who were learning disabled and couldn't do the work. In the case of the troublemakers, the principal and teachers were more than happy to let them go. Back then, the dropouts usually went into the armed services, the factories, or into low-paying marginal jobs. Nowadays, the army doesn't want you unless you have a diploma or GED, and there are very few factory jobs, unless you know somebody. That leaves the marginal jobs, and most of the dropouts are too lazy, undiscipilined and too "cool" to flip burgers or wash cars. If you get the opportunity, take a stroll around a local shopping mall in the early afternoon, and see how many teenagers and young working-age adults are hanging out there, acting tough. They're not in school and they're not at work.
How about a modern day CCC or WPA to get these young people off the streets?

Danny

Post Number: 7519
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There too much race cards in this thread. I was wondering who has the first deck. I'm waiting to se who has the royal flush, as in who are the dominate race in America.

Danny

Post Number: 7520
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newport1128,

There is no modern day CCC or WPA to get these young people off the streets? The great depression is over. Kids who dropout of school had decided to become LOSERS. If that is their choice to go down that path, so beat it. To get back to school just simply change themselves. The system can install work programs to get kids out of the streets, but its not going make the dropout rate disappear. Kids must change themselves first and then they can play for their future. The system is not to feed them all.

If want more info on dropout rates from black folks watch or log on to CNN's documentary Black in America.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3447
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, how far did you make it in school?

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It costs us $36K per year to put these people in jail after they drop out of school, can't find jobs, and turn to crime.

For that much money, it seems like we could give them scholarships to Harvard.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7925
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is not due to lack of funding in the schools. Learning and the desire to do so starts in the home. Without that stimulation and encouragement prior to and after attending school, the kid is off on the wrong foot right of the bat. Chances are his parents are dropouts too. School to them is a place to dump their kids for a few hours.

Incompetent and irresponsible people are having children they do not want and cannot afford. Many of the fathers have no intention of raising or supporting the child. The mother probably never had an example of a proper male/female relationship in the home so she foolishly gets knocked up.

This is a direct result of the welfare state, we are rewarding people financially for doing stupid things. We also have de-stigmatized immoral behavior. What else would we expect? Turns out the Great Society is not so great.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on July 25, 2008)

Danny

Post Number: 7525
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936,

I graduated from Cody High School and now in Wayne State University finishing up with my senior year in Oral Speech and Communication and Liberal Arts in T.V. Radio and Film media in the social sciences and T.V. production track.

I didn't drop-out in high school. I've kept on going until I get that diploma and get somewhere.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3450
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondered. Thx. I'm a WSU drop out. :-)

Danny

Post Number: 7528
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman

America is a EARNING free nation.

We earn your keep and we play for keeps.

That's a greatest law. Other nations don't have it.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much of the problem does begin in the home. I have heard many parents tell their kids (male and female) to drop out because they aren't paying for summer school or evening classes. Many of the male students who I have seen drop out do so because they are so far behind they don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. They are behind because of stints in jail, expulsion, or truancy. Many regret screwing up in the early years of high school (skipping and not doing work). More than a few who drop out do so because they are homeless, being kicked out of the house for various reasons. School just isn't a priority. Parents don't make it a priority. I have had too many parents show up at my classroom door during class time screaming at me (after I've sent a failure notice)for failing their child (even though I haven't seen the kid in months...and calling home does no good since many of the phones have been disconnected).

MANY of the kids with learning disabilities just give up. It's a sad state of affairs. I do try and encourage my students to keep going in school. I'll work with a kid by giving extra work, staying after to make up hours or give extra help, etc. Teachers can only do so much. The parents of these kids today really need to become much more involved. Many parents don't even ask to see a kid's report card! I have roughly 275 kids each year and see MAYBE 5 parents at each of the 4 conferences held throughout the year. They are never the parents that I really need to see, either. This alone tells me everything I need to know.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Michigan is worst in nation in graduating black males

That's not a problem for white folks, but a problem for the black community and it's leaders.

Let the oppression continue."

This is everybody's problem. You have some issues. I could suggest therapy.

the good rev

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother has similar stories about students from Detroit who transfer to Franklin H.S. They are the most disruptive students in class, are often failing, and the parents are never involved until the last week of the year when they find out there kid is failing. Even though they have had several notices and conferences throughout the year when they could have still made a difference, and nearly every time they drop the race card on the table with a thud.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also from the article...

quote:

Detroit Public Schools graduates 20 percent of black males. The district has a lower rate of graduating white males -- 17 percent.

quote:

North Dakota had the highest rate of black males graduating at 89 percent, a higher rate than the 84 percent of white males graduating in that state.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6160
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The numbers are artificially lower than they should be (these things never seem to take into account transfers from one district to another, or from public the charter/private), but the numbers are still WAY too low.

Was anyone else surprised that the graduation for white Detroiters was even lower than black Detroiters? Damn, it appears that no one does well in Detroit.

Michigan is so strange a state. It still ranks in the middle of the pack when it comes to overall primary education, yet has this incredible disparities. I wonder how the numbers would look if you took off Southeast Michigan, which might as well be its own state.

(Message edited by lmichigan on July 25, 2008)

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I completely agree with those who say that education must begin at home. Responsible parents need to teach their children the basics long before they send them off to school. The trouble is that too many people expect the schools to educate their kids, never even considering that a thorough education starts at home. A child should be able to read simple English by the time they're sent off to Kindergarten - that's not an unreasonable expectation. Once a child falls behind it's very difficult, if not impossible, to catch up.

Danny

Post Number: 7533
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Revaldullton,

White folks have talked and discuss about the " black problem" for hundreds of years. As a result they tried add slavery ,segregation, demarcation, The KKK, The Nazi Movement, the Aryan Brotherhood, tar, feathered, put us on the hangman noose, saying derogative oppressional words like " NI--ER, toms, coons, mulattos, mammies, bucks, ebony woods and blackies. They tried to sweep us out of the southern states and back to our African homelands but that didn't work because blacks were striving to fight for civil rights and they did.

The issue of black folks not graduating from various public schools in Michigan is not in the white problem it's mostly a black problem and it's effecting the black communities and their families. White folks know mostly about the dropout rates of blacks students. Most of them especially their leaders don't want to deal with them because of tax issues or otherwise if it becomes a nationwide epidemic like the Civil Rights Era. Now if the black folks just wondering into a white neighborhood and start crimes, will that issue be in the their agenda? YES it will and they will resolve it with police intervention that includes street drug pushers.

Any type of issue that involves with race in our America society is not everyone's problem until it becomes a instant plague. However any type of issue that involves national crisis, that would be everyone's problem.

So far here in Michigan, black students had increasely dropping out for many years. A few whites and their leaders tried to put lid on the situation but it cannot be close. So drop-out " black problem" will effect the black community and its up to the black folks and their leaders to solve this problem before it becomes a white problem.

Practice what you preach, Revaldullton and add some Jesus juice in it, too. AMEN!