Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » "I grew up on Little Caesars" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://slice.seriouseats.com/a rchives/2008/07/a-new-york-piz za-tour-from-a-los-angelenos-p erspective.html#comments

"As a Los Angeleno who grew up in Detroit, it's a little odd that I love pizza so much. Neither city is known for great pies..."

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2667
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We sure have better pizza than they do. We have Buddy's, Shield's, Loui's, Pizzapopolis, Little Caesars, Domino's
They have 'California Pizza Kitchen' Yuk

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I like Buddy's but you HAVE to tell them "WELL DONE" otherwise it's almost raw... The one on mack anyway... I also like that place near Wayne State... Can't think of the name... Zoots?...

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 963
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have pizza quite often. Even if I'm not hungry or my mind tells me I should be tired of pizza, I still have to have at least a little slice. I think pizza needs to be analysed for addicting substances like crack.

Jcole

Post Number: 2668
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only time in my life that I got tired of eating pizza was after I had worked in a pizza parlor for about 3 months. I could not bring myself to eat it at all. After about a year, I left there, and within a month, I was back on the stuff. I could eat it morning, noon and night. We have enough variety here to make it do-able. Think crust, thin crust, stuffed, white, red, meatless, meat lovers.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3122
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Behind Chicago & New York, we should be the pizza capital of the USA.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2955
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kingofdetroit: Are you thinking of Z's Villa? I agree that they've got some delicious pizza!
For those who haven't heard of this place, it's located on Piquette just east of Woodward. Used to be Z's Place on Woodward near Warren.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I get a little tired of Detroit not being mentioned right with New York and Chicago!
We revolutionized the pizza industry... for better or worse in some people's eyes... but changed it none the less!

Square Deep Dish? Started here... it should be known as "Detroit Style" all over the country!
Buddys, Shields, and now the Jets chain.

2 for 1 deal? Started here... (Little Caesars, Pizza-Pizza). For a while, it was hard to find a pizza place that didn't have the 2 for one deal... hell, it was hard to buy just a single pizza in the late 80s....lol.

Flavored crusts?? Hungry Howies (claims to be) the first with flavored crusts... if not, the first in this area of the country to mass market it.

The Quick Delivery?? Dominoes! under 30 minutes... not to mention the original world wide pizza delivery chain... and world wide pizza chain period as far as I know... they are the McDonalds of Pizza... and like them or not, both revolutionized their industry!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3130
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dominoes is more like the Burger King of Pizza.

Pizza Hut is the Mcdonalds of Pizza. :-)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5296
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and Little Caeser's is the Hardee's of Pizza.
All inedible.
I once worked at a LC outlet, where we measured out the frozen/canned ingredients on the pizzas as if they were gold dust. If it was any more tasteless, and had a bit less dough in it, they could fax it to you.

Good pizza can be challenging to find in LA, fortunately a place called "Purgatory Pizza" just opened near me and unlike most chain pizza, these guys are not afraid to serve their pizza adequately baked. Just like NYC!

http://eatpurgatorypizza.com/

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear Boston has really good Pizza?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocky's Pizzeria on Seven Mile made the BEST pizzas!

Now if we're talking subs, I would say Buscemi's...

Oh, food from heaven!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boston Pizza??? Is it magically delicious?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 490
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love pizza, But i can tell you i agree with anyone was says having eaten and still eating Little Caesars for 40 years it,s not the same, My Uncle and I wish they would bring the little pizzas back.

Jat44
Username: Jat44

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Little Ceaser's used to be way better back in the 70's. In my opinion, their pizza changed when they started the two-for-one or later known as "pizza-pizza".
You still can't beat the original Buddy's (Six Mile & Conant), Shield's, Louies, The Green Lantern, etc.
Nothing like a good old fashioned grease pie from the Green Lantern!

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup the pizza and crazy bread were way better back in the 70s and even the 80s. It's too "processed", the flavor isn't there and the texture is too thin now.

Jcole

Post Number: 2727
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Caesars was always better than Dominos. That tastes like someone spread tomato sauce on cardboard

Jat44
Username: Jat44

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up we always preferred the independant pizza places & party stores that also offered pizza. Not to many of the independants around any more!

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 351
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tina's Pizza, Harper around Cadieux, in the 60s. Best ever! RIP, Big John.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The little skeezers on warren and 75 actually makes pretty good quality pizza.

Fuck the $5 hot and ready though. You always get it thinking you are going to make 3 meals out of it, and end up eating way too much and feeling like shit for the 2 days.

However, a $5 pizza and a bottle of orange faygo is a meal fit for a king.

Galexc
Username: Galexc

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Little Caesar's pizza coming on a sheet of cardboard w/ 2 pizzas wrapped in paper? By the way...Buddy's (6 mile & conant) and Z's Villa are the best!...Not to mention Crazy Joe's Corned Beef Pizza MMmmmm!

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 455
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh.... it wouldn't be dYES without the bi-annual pizza thread.

Detroit does have very strong ties to the history of pizza. New York may have introduced pizza to the U.S., and Chicago may have found a popular "niche" for their style, BUT SE Detroit definitely introduced the US to pizza in a saucy way.

The chains that come outta here are thick and established.

"We have Buddy's, Shield's, Loui's, Pizzapopolis, Little Caesars, Domino's
They have 'California Pizza Kitchen' Yuk"

You left out Hungry Howie's, Dolly's, Jet's, Buscemi's, Cottage Inn, Happy's, and maybe a few other chains.

And then there's the chili dogs. Detroit, you definitely know what tastes good, eh?

Reddog289

Post Number: 492
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in Garden City, we got it from the 1st store on Cherry Hill, I stopped in last month looked around and thought "damn am i old". That store was one of those testing deals.Little Caesars Itailan Kitchen. The place just looks weird and empty for some reason. I had BUDDYS tonite,The King is right i need to say well done next time i get Buddy,s. Have to write down these Eastside and other pizzarias that i haven,t been to.

Reddog289

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in Garden City, we got it from the 1st store on Cherry Hill, I stopped in last month looked around and thought "damn am i old". That store was one of those testing deals.Little Caesars Itailan Kitchen. The place just looks weird and empty for some reason. I had BUDDYS tonite,The King is right i need to say well done next time i get Buddy,s. Have to write down these Eastside and other pizzarias that i haven,t been to.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BC's Pizza in Lincoln Park is one of the best ever! It makes you understand what a piece of cardboard with tomatoe sauce that Little Ceasars really is. Great pizza at a low price. Definately a winning combination.

Reddog289

Post Number: 495
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BC,S on Fort, think they had one in Westland not bad Pizza from what i recall.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever heard of or been to Papa Luigis on 9 mile nearish to VanDyke kinda by Passtime Bowling Lanes? I live in Houston but used to go with my folks to Passtime whee they bowled in a league at night and we'd go to Papa Luigis alot. They had Sicilian deep dish square with the extra dollops of sauce on top.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since my son works at Jets, that has become my favorite pizza because he brings it home practically every night - not that we eat it every night though, lol! But we do get to experience some of their greatest varieties and now any other pizza I try just doesn't measure up.

However, with franchises, they always taste different. Don't they train these places on maintaining the brand? Because there's a great LCs near my old house, the $5 H&R was so good it made you want to dance! Now there's two over here that just suck. It's like they intentionally use less ingredients to save money but they still charge $5. They're disgusting. I only go there in an emergency to grab something for the little ones cuz they don't care.

Now at Jets, my son makes this awesome pizza with grilled chicken, spicy pepperoni, bacon, and cajun sprinkled on a square deep dish - it is TO DIE FOR! It's not even on their menu either, he just makes it up on request. Try it at your local pizza place and see how good that combo is.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been spoiled by good pizza here in Michigan. Grew up eating the crazy bread from the Little Caesar's on Kelly. (near Morang? It was circa 1988, so my memory's a bit fuzzy)

Out in Ann Arbor, it's ridiculous. I can think of at least 10 different chains (some with multiple locations) that all have great pizza. Pizza House, which is not even my favorite, is open til 4 a.m. Love it.

Mr. C's out in Grosse Pointe also a fave.

YPD

ps...I think California Pizza Kitchen is really good, TKShreve...have a bad experience there?

Jcole

Post Number: 3188
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Tshreve was quoting my post #2667,
"We sure have better pizza than they do. We have Buddy's, Shield's, Loui's, Pizzapopolis, Little Caesars, Domino's
They have 'California Pizza Kitchen' Yuk"
Yes I did. I ate at the one at Somerset, and there was very little sauce, hardly any cheese, and anyone who has a 'chicken and artichoke heart pizza' is 'yuk' in my book. If God had wanted us to eat that, he wouldn't have invented pepperoni and bacon.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha. fair enough. You can put me down as a 'yuk' in your book. The roasted garlic chicken is pretty good and not too unhealthy. I mean, nothing wrong with a deep dish with ground beef and bacon...but if you're looking for a change of pace, you could do worse than CPK.

YPD

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3330
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO, saucy pizza is very good.

Too much cheese ruins it. :-(

Jcole

Post Number: 3197
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, I'm mostly on your page. I can't stand a pizza where I choke on cheese, and a really good tomato sauce makes or breaks it. I used to can a homemade sauce with fresh tomatoes, sauted onions and oregano that would knock your socks off, but I've gotten lazy over the years and buy most of my pizza now.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally agree with Urbanize. Never thought it would happen.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10281
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your pizza ain't shit compared to Windsor's pizza. It truly is the best pizza in N. America by far!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3331
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, did you have your de-caf this morning? :-)

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carmen's pizza on Mack Ave near Alter in the 60's made with the little pepperoni's, Put on a cardboard wrapped in white paper...delish!

Jcole

Post Number: 3208
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I worked at Bucilli's Pizza in Almont in the 80s, we were next to the Paradise Saloon (AKA The Parasite), and used to get a lot of orders from there. Well, one night, I didn't have time to walk a pie over for someone, so they had to stumble on in themselves. I got the pie ready, put it on its circle, cut it and bagged it. After I rang the lady up, I slid my creation across the counter where she grabbed it by the folded and stapled bag, and picked it up as if it were a shopping bag. Needless to say, the whole thing slid to the bottom of the bag, folded itself up and glued itself together. She never noticed. She went back to the bar, where I heard they ripped open the greasy bag and had at it. Some people go double cheese and some got cheese -1.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soooo, you invented the calzone? :D

Jcole

Post Number: 3213
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The extremely messy, cheese stuck to the bag, sauce on the counter calzone? Maybe. And it wasn't me, it was the 'slightly tipsy' customer.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a lot of good pies out there. If you eat the same pie every time it doesn't seem so great anymore.

My theory is to switch it up as much as possible.

Motor City Brew on Canfield at, 2nd across from Traffic Jam has a new pizza menu that is very tasty. Plus the best local beer in the D. If you havnt checked them out, your not a Detroiter.

Reddog289

Post Number: 526
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, there was only one pizza from canada that was even edible that was Frank Vetres, Dominoes is way better then anything the Canucks call Pizza.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Little Caesar's but just like another poster said, it's not as good as it was in the 70's. They changed something over the years.

My favorite right now is Green Lantern on John R and 12 Mile in Mad Heights.

Jita1

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I've eaten pizza in NY and Chicago. NY pizza is different than what we're used to here. It's usually cut into gigantic slices and is very thin. I found it to be tasty, though. Chicago style is similar to what we get at Buddy's.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the late 80's, a lot of people moved to Norfolk/Virginia Beach area from Michigan, some due to transferring to the recently-closed Norfolk Ford Plant. The Little Caesar's pizza places down here didn't have that "pizza-pizza" deal until enough Detroiters/Michiganders asked angrily "Where's my second pizza, damit?" Soon Little Caesar's started offering the pizza-pizza deal down here. As a result, however, the quality started going down and now there is only one Little Caesar's store in the whole area.

I basically order from Papa Johns now (with extra sauce). Some call them Potty Johns.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 640
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Also, I've eaten pizza in NY and Chicago. NY pizza is different than what we're used to here. It's usually cut into gigantic slices and is very thin. I found it to be tasty, though. Chicago style is similar to what we get at Buddy's. "

So Buddy's is like Chicago style pizza? You are on crack.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 736
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He said similar.

That's like saying Rosie O'Donnell is similar to Rebecca Romaijn. They are similar in that they both have lady parts. One may be considerably larger, but still similar.

Jita1

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Publicmsu and no I'm not on crack, JJ.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2755
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pizzapapalis is similar to Chicago's Giordano's. These are true "Chicago-style deep-dish" pizza places. However, Pizzapapalis' thin-crust seafood pizza is to die for.

Now, when it comes to square pizza, Shield's and Buddy's are Detroit's "deep-dish square" pizza kings. I love the brick cheese pizzas from Shield's. Cottage Inn comes in third with their square deep dish pizza.

For the rest of the pizza places, Mr. C's in Grosse Pointe is good, followed by Buscemis when it comes to party store square pizzas. Little Caesar's, Jet's, Papa Romano's, and Papa John's all have decent round pizzas. On the northwest side of Detroit, Bob's and Happy's duke it out in the Evergreen/7 Mile area. Pizza Hut's supreme pan pizza is great, but unique and can not be compared to any of the others that I have just mentioned. Dominoes is my least favorite of the chain pizzas mainly because they never cooked their mushrooms. Maybe they've changed that policy. Now, when they have the limited- time only pizza called the "Philly Cheesesteak" pizza, I'm there. Hungry Howies seasoned crust pizzas are good, but it's the Howie Wings(Buffalo-style) that I go for there.

I still want to try Cal's which is now on Harper just east of Cadieaux, and how is Mama Mia's in Redford along Grand River? Funny, I've been to Z's but haven't had their pizza. Any good Mexicantown pizza?

Savannahsmiles
Username: Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a place in the 70's on ...can't remember if it was 2nd or Selden... somewhere in that area, anyway... called the Pizza House. It was just a house ...had several steps up to the door. My dad used to hold me up so I could see the pizza being made. There was a midget standing on a milk crate making the pizzas. He even twirled the dough! The pie came in a huge white box and was usually soaked thru with grease by the time we got it home. Just thinking about it now, I can remember how good it tasted. What I wouldn't give to have another pizza like that before I die.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a kid, we used to love going to Little Caesers to watch the old movies and to see the pizza makers toss the dough. Cal's was better and the Mediterranean lounge Lounge on East Warren was my absolute favorite. It was made with Greek Cheese.

LC's charges 6 dollars in other states. I just paid more than that in the thumb area this weekend.

Also, surprisingly Buscemi's is the 38th most succesful pizza chain in the US.

Check out this list: http://www.pizzatoday.com/down loads/Top100_2007.pdf

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.