Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Wasabi on Woodward near DIA? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I work across the street from a new Korean and Japanese Restaurant that is going to open.

It's banner says "Wasabi".

Anyone know when it's going to open? All of the stupid business rags have outdated information saying it's going to open by early june.

Tonyt

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should mention it's on ground level of the Park Shelton.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a tour of the Park Shelton last week and though the agent didn't say when it would be opening, peering into the windows I could see that progress is being made but opening isn't imminent.

It'll be nice having some Japanese in the area, especially a quick walk from the Law School.

Tonyt

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I might walk over there to inquire.

Tell 'em to hurry it up and be good already!

They have a nifty neon sushi sign that's kind of kitschy but cute.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice. Any Pics?

<313>

Midtowng
Username: Midtowng

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw today that the sign said "open"...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8589
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need patronage! We need to have someone go and see if the place is any good. Great location for a restaurant of any kind!

Having a bit of an ethnic flair to it just makes it that much better for those of us who are a little tired of the burger & beer places.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just called down to the Park Shelton and spoke with the front desk folks. They report that today the Wassabi opened for their first full day of business.

The Park Shelton staff said that the hold up was related to the ventilation and fire suppression systems. The Ventilation had to be entirely replaced as it was over fifty years old. The Fire suppression system had to be tied into the entire building's system. I guess that was a tad difficult.

They also reported that the Wassabi has been in full "test" operation for a couple of months. They have been tweaking their menu, prices and service. The Park Shelton Staff have been happy Guinea Pigs and are a little sad now that their free lunches have come to an end.

The hours are Monday thru Saturday 11 am to 9 or 10 pm. They do not have any outdoor seating, but there is seating in the lobby of the Park Shelton.

Outdoor seating is pending and will require some arm twisting at the CAY building. oh well. Guess the City is worried about impeding all the foot traffic on Woodward.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I search "Cappy's", current restaurant reviews come up. Only one said that it was now closed. Is Wasabi its replacement?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12050
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Only one said that it was now closed. Is Wasabi its replacement?

Wasabi is replacing the place that replaced Cappys.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About how long ago was Cappy's replaced?

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an ongoing feud between the electrical and fire inspectors which resulted in the delayed opening. They apparently can't stand one another and therefore refuse to be on site at the same time. Wasabi will have their liquor license in September or October.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12051
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is an ongoing feud between the electrical and fire inspectors which resulted in the delayed opening. They apparently can't stand one another and therefore refuse to be on site at the same time

Appalling. Just do your f'in job and deal with your personal issues after hours. Both shoudl be fired for non-sense like this.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there was a Japanese restaurant in the Park Shelton years and years ago---Daruma (spelling might be wrong). My hubs and I used to go there after work.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8600
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Jt1... these business owners just want to get their business off the ground. They don't need some stupid infighting holding up their opening. They're so embroiled in their own petty battles, they forget who they're supposed to be serving.

I'm hoping to make a dash there and try out the food soon.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is an ongoing feud between the electrical and fire inspectors which resulted in the delayed opening. They apparently can't stand one another and therefore refuse to be on site at the same time

Are these guys 10 years old or what? Soooo typical of how things are in this city. Really pathetic.

On the plus side, looking forward to checking this place out!

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Are these guys 10 years old or what? Soooo typical of how things are in this city. Really pathetic."

Nope - it's not b/w the guys, it's b/w the Unions and keeping their respective members employed. There's been an effort to streamline the various inspection departments and have a respective inspector trained in plumbing, fire suppression, electrical, etc. The union have not been exactly receptive of the idea.

So, it's basically business as usual in a city where the primary focus of city government is employing people as opposed to facilitating growth and providing efficient services.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a side note, I went last night, it was really good. The place was pretty busy; a lot of CCS students. The food took a little while, but I imagine that the first day of opening a restaurant can be that way.

I had the BBQ tenderloin strips, I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.