Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » DFD layoffs and cutbacks? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 421
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an article about overturned injunctions that blocked cutbacks. DFD cutbacks
Think it'll happen?

(Message edited by Dfd on July 29, 2008)

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, he's pissed at all city employees now. He'll layoff everyone BUT friends, family and EPU

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy, Kwame... all of them... horrible, shameful, and disgusting. But don't worry folks, they're all working to appease the masses, placate the masses, and next summer, we'll have many more enduring discussions about making money. The trend has already begun. And by that time I'll be gone. Just play people out and you'll be amazed at how many breathe a sigh of relief. Therefore, I am angry at the susceptilbility and ... no more needs said.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does a city determine the proper size of its fire and police forces? Is it based on population, number of calls, time to respond, etc.? Is there a formula? How would a resident that is not in these services know whether or not they should support the hiring or laying-off of firefighters or police officers?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps based on the fact that response time, if at all, is 5 hours

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point!

Maddog
Username: Maddog

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can tell you that the Detroit Fire Department has the best response time out of all three departments. (FIRE/POLICE/EMS). The problem is its so busy and there are often times fire Companies responding from very long distances due to Fire companies that have alrighty been Deactivated or temporally closed due to manpower. And I will tell you that you are getting the BEST and Most Aggressive fire service from the Detroit Firefighters in the country from one of the TOP busiest fire departments in the country. The Detroit Firefighters will fight more working fires than most firefighters will ever see. There out everyday and everynight (and sometimes all day and all night) risking life for a senseless Vacant Dwelling Fire....

Here is an interesting link for those of you that are interested: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080422/M ETRO/804220377

Dennis

(Message edited by maddog on July 30, 2008)

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^Amen to that Maddog.

Dfd

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Maddog.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're right maddog. I admire the DFD - we just need more of em and more money for them

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I have my info correct, DFD is one of FEW fire departments that fight fires from INSIDE buildings. Most others stay outside, unless there are people trapped. God Bless our DFD and their families. This is one service that should NOT be facing layoffs and cutbacks.

Dfd

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do the folks making these cutback decisions live near a closed firehouse?

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What they are doing to the fire department (and other departments) is a tragedy. They won't be happy until we have to bury a few good firefighters. I'm just glad my dad retired when he did.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El_jimbo, you are right. I have a close relative on the department right now. He never gets an hours rest at night and the fires are getting harder to put out and they are much more frequent. In a firehouse that never turned a wheel as few as 30 years ago, this house now is the busiest in the country. We are in constant fear of him getting hurt or worse when he's working.

I can't understand why people want to burn up their own neighborhoods.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 732
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican,

who knows why. Loss of hope, desperation, boredom, lots of things can lead people to do crazy things like that. It doesn't make it right. I just hope nobody has to pay the price for their "fun".

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anything, Detroit needs more police and fire than what population numbers would suggest. I am certain that all of the empty buildings cause a lot more problems than a similar sized city with much fewer of them.

I can recall several years ago talking to a friend's dad who was called into the Hudson's Dept store to put out a fire that was started several floors up by vagrants. I really have to tip my hat to them, they are willing to risk their lives to go into these structures and fight stuff that they would not have to go into if they worked in a suburban location.

This stuff tears at me personally as I know lots of police and fire personnel. I grew up in an environment that encouraged public service to Detroit as it was our home. I also love old buildings and as much as I would hate to admit it, I'd rather see them leveled than to allow them to sit and be potential traps for police, fire, or spots where young girls walking to school could be raped.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 733
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could there be a "quick fix" solution to the problem. To me, it seems that the city is mired in red tape and overstaffing in administrative functions. Would it be possible with proper training and improved computers and software to eliminate large chunks of the administrative staffing throughout city government and with the cost savings hire more police, fire, and other "on the street" city employees to provide city services?

Dfd

Post Number: 557
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is from Detroitfirefighters.net

"Hey guys-
Just wanted to give you an update. Many of us were talking to Dan McNamara at Chief Chemotti's last work day party last night(Congratz Chief!). Dan said that the City said they are NOT going through with the 2005 restructuring plan, which included demotions, company closing, battalion restructuring, and layoffs. The Union is meeting with the City, I believe he said on 8/27, so we should know their intentions then. Also, the Union is expecting a decision on the contract by the end of the week, hopefully.

Still nothing in stone, but that info came straight from Dan, instead of the usual rumor mill.

Stay safe out there-"

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So many fires in the city are started by ignorants.

I know a few legit property owners who aren't slumlords, and they have pretty regular problems with tenants who are in a dead heat for the Darwin award.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.