Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Duchess Lounge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jat44
Username: Jat44

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the Duchess Lounge on VanDyke near 7 Mile? I recently drove by it and noticed it is now called; "The Minxx" or something to that effect. Man, I have some great memories of the Duchess Lounge. It was one of the last original topless bars of Detroit.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5955
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I stopped by there back in the 70s. They required a sport coat and tie for admission (as if that really matters). The proprietor was arguing at the entrance with someone offering "insurance."

Detroit, you gotta love it.

Jimaz

Post Number: 5956
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, then one of the dancers wore my eyeglasses as a bra, which meant I couldn't see the act to appreciate it.

She got a big tip for the humor despite the greasy eyeglasses she returned.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Greasy"? She danced vigorously enough that she needed oiling? Quite odd.

I know one of the fellows who owned the place; he and I lived in the same sub for a while. My, the stories he'd tell. I hope not all were true. I believe he and his partner sold it because it wasn't making any money. How bad is the economy when the sex biz can't make it? Or was the Duchess badly run, or in some other way unusually uncompetitive?

Jimaz

Post Number: 5957
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it has survived since the 70s it must be doing something right.

Who knows what greasy cosmetics they wear there?

All were amused.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matchbook from the Dutchess

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing...I drove by it on Wednesday morning, on my way back tot he office from Nevada and Van Dyke. Anyway, I was there maybe 10 years ago with a cop buddy of mine. There was a bank across the street, which is a day care or charter school now. No lie, we walked to the ATM machine and my buddy was punching his code with one hand and his gun drawn in the other. I was like WTF??

Interesting place to say the least....

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the friends used to joke that the Duchess was where strippers went to die! Kind of like a retirement home for the older ones. Haha, many good times in that place.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm fixing up a building just south of the Dutchess. I'm not surprised to hear single_malts story about his cop friend, but that neighborhood, while it still looks rough, has improved dramatically in recent years. The bank is gone, but the atm machine is still there and I walk to it often with no problems.

The Duchess was managed by some pretty tough biker dudes for a long time. You knew not to mess around in that place or those guys would take care of you. I was only there a few times, but it was always clean, there were pretty girls, and it seemed much safer than the typical places on 8 mile I used to get dragged to for bachelor parties.

I haven't met the new guys who bought the place. They have been doing a lot of work to the place, but supposedly have completely changed the clientel they're after. You used to see all kinds of cars out front, but now it's nothing but big rims & gangsta rides.

If you're in the neighborhood there is a cool little bar called Hec's on the west side of Van Dyke, north of Dutchess. You can get 2 beer, a burger, and a small bag of better made for around $3.00.

Another really cool hang out in that neighborhood is the Two-way Inn on Mt. Elliot & Nevada. Very cool old school bar. Again, super cheap beer, you can even get a bottle of New Castle for like $2.50.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Duchess is the first topless bar I ever went to, this was in the 70s. My buddies and I used to stop in there once in a great while, the last time I was there had to be over 20 years ago. We always had a good time there, never any problems with the patrons, the management or the neighborhood. I'm kinda surprised to know the place is still open.

Jfried, those bars you mentioned sound like my kind of place, I gotta get back over to that side of town one of these days and take a look around.

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never been there but live just down Van Dyke. I thought it had changed names back in January or February but could be mistaken. They actually had no sign on the building at all for a few weeks.

Jfried

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, as someone posted above, the new owners have renamed it "Minxxx."

It's definitely not the same type of place.

When I said "You used to see all kinds of cars out front, but now it's nothing but big rims & gangsta rides" what I meant was that the new crowd seems to be much younger kids....

Jat44

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried; I do remember the the Duchess was owned by some biker types. The last time I was in there must have been around 1996 or 97. I never got bothered or hasseled in that place.
Back in the mid-80's we used to go to the Duchess then walk through the alley to another place on 7 Mile called; "The Please Station" then over to another place kitty corner from the Duchess on Van Dyke but I can't remember the name of it.
There was a bakery next to the Please Station, i wonder if it is still open???

I think that I will stop at Hec's bar soon. I have driven by it on many occassion and always thought that it might be an "old school" type of place.

The Two-Way Inn also looks like a very cool place. I never see any cars parked out front though and have wondered if it is still open.

That side of town is still very cool all together; Davison from Conant to Van Dyke, Van Dyke from Davison to Eight Mile, etc.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you're in the neighborhood there is a cool little bar called Hec's on the west side of Van Dyke, north of Dutchess. You can get 2 beer, a burger, and a small bag of better made for around $3.00."

The same people that had Hec's when it was at French Rd. & Gratiot ? I think a White Castle replaced it. Hec's was on Gratiot from about 1933-until the very late 90's or maybe 2000.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 496
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

being on the westside i,d never been to the duchess or hec,s. saw the hec,s story on tv with eric smith. that was sad, but sounds like they moved so there was a happy ending..

Jfried

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same family still owns Hec's. Nice folks. The place isn't fancy, but great deals. During the Wings playoffs they had dollar off beers when we scored. Luckily, I was out of town most of the playoffs, or they would probably be out of business.

The Two-way Inn is super cool. It's open just about every day but sunday. If the neon bar sign is on, they're open. Plus, the owners live in the same building & will open up if you knock hard enough.

Here is a recent story about the neighborhood & the Two-way http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/story.asp?id=12870

The Please Station has been closed for a while. The Nortown bakery you mention, however, is still going strong.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ATM machine has been gone for a couple of months now. Someone used Bobby Fergusons excavating machine to make a late night withdrawl.
(BF's company was replacing water mains on Van Dyke)
Rumored they got 40 G's ?
It doesn't look as if Comerica will be replacing it.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 709
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took a buddy of mine to The Duchess a few years back for his bachelor party. The lactating stripper was a hit.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lactating stripper could be teamed up with the pregnant waitress at Bogarts.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too far away from the venerable Duchess was a topless bar near Davison and Mound that was painted "Titty" pink and was called Benson's Boobs Galore.

Jat44

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Further west on 7 Mile was a place called "Bisco's". It was a small pale blue colored building between Ryan and VanDyke. They had one of those Wards Airline Stereos pumping out the hits through plastic speakers. There was also Playboy pictures pasted all over the walls in the men's Room. They also had an area called "Pervert's Corner".
It has since long closed and I also believe that the building was torn down.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3022
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Bisco's move up to Emmett, MI? there used to be a topless joint there where all the young guys in the thumb got 'initiated' into manhood, and I swear it was Bisco's.

(Message edited by jcole on August 04, 2008)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 753
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MrBerkinshire owned both Biscos , he would fly his plane to city airport from Emmett

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Can-Can on 7 Mile and Anteks on Outer Drive I think were also in the area, but my 1st was the Pointe Athletic Club.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.