Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Book Cadillac Update « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.bookcadillacnextcha pter.com/

Who's up for a street party on Washington? :-)
YPD

p.s. don't worry, the street party is free. Trust me, I can't afford the $2500/head dinner, either.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, I cannot wait for Sunday tea in the Italian Garden!

But seriously, I hope this can be the catalyst for Washington Blvd.

"The [Book] brothers sought to turn Detroit's Washington Boulevard into the 'Fifth Avenue of the West'."- wikipedia (I know, wikipedia...)

(Message edited by dtowncitylover on July 30, 2008)

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think you'll have to hope too hard. They're already booked for New Years Eve, the Final Four, and the Auto Show. They're working on contracts with the NFL and the MLB to make it the destination of choice for visting teams and their staff. I believe they've already locked down the NHL.

I'm not saying that it's going to save Detroit, but I'm sure a little bit of retail is going to popup around the area. Moreover, since one of my overarching ideas is that Detroit will benefit as the inevitable and gradual improvement of the interpersonal relationships grows between city and suburbanite, the Book Cadillac will go a long way both symbolically and also as a venue for upscale suburbanites to see that there's potential for all to do business in Detroit again.

Now I recognize that the city isn't for everyone. But nothing to me is more frustrating that hearing people talk about the city when the last time they've been downtown was pre-Dennis Archer. (Was that Mayor Young's era? Or was there someone in between?)

YPD

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when will reservations for regular rooms start?

i just tried for mid-dec for my anniversary but no dice...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3179
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything from 1975 - 1992ish was Coleman Young's Administration.

Ironically enough, Detroit lost over 500,000 people alone within that time period (mainly middle class whites).

So nothing was wrong with Detroit, it was just that the money had left (along with the centralized economy, department stores, hotels, movie houses, and even the Book-Cadillac). When the money leaves, basically so does the blood pumping through the heart.

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. well, I'm glad those days are long gone... Time to start bringing some cashflow back to the D. Dolla dolla bills, yall...hahaha

YPD

(Message edited by Youngprofessionaldetroiter on July 30, 2008)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So nothing was wrong with Detroit, it was just that the money had left (along with the centralized economy, department stores, hotels, movie houses, and even the Book-Cadillac). When the money leaves, basically so does the blood pumping through the heart."

This made me laugh- basically everything left.... but it's the truth.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman Young was inaugurated on New Year's 1974 and served to New Year's 1994.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 505
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So...the '67 riots DID NOT cause the business element to leave Detroit. They didn't leave after the 1943 riots, or the 1863 riots, either.

They left when Young got into office. People were so into voting in "a Black mayor", that they weren't paying attention to the fact that he was a meglomaniac and one of the most incompetent and destructive mayors in history.

Blacks, whites, Jews, everybody was leaving Detroit once Young got in. They could read the writing on the wall. Their intuition has proved correct.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3214
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's late at night & I don't feel like attacking you're ignorance.

However, I will say this. Detroit lost 300,000 people between 1967 - 1969 & well before wreckin' ball Young got in office, many of the areas affected by the riots were left still devastated. The people who were closely affected(mainly the ones with money) by the riots received a negative picture of Detroit from all the tanks & fires. So many of them just packed up and left for Warren, Eastpointe & Oak Park.

However, Young didn't help at all only 5 years later.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6175
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only that, Detroit black population did not stop growing until the 90's. Also, as I said in another thread between 1947 and 1963, Detroit lossed over 100,000 jobs, and continued to lost them after that.

Seriously, how foolish a simplification was that?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3215
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Not only that, Detroit black population did not stop growing until the 90's."

Actually, the black population has not grown, it just balanced out with the shrinking white population. It's generally been stagnant since the 70s (maybe shrinking a tad).

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6176
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure it continued to grow, by numbers, until the 90's. Here's a graph based on the Census numbers:

http://detroit1701.org/PopEnumerated.html

(Message edited by lmichigan on August 01, 2008)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize - I've noticed over the past few weeks that your number one posting times seems to be all throughout the night on Friday and Saturday. go out much?

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 695
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a BC thread headed to the Hall of Shame

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 689
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

<313>

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump... any recent photos of the progress?

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When will they start accepting reservations?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3310
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^They are already accepting reservations for groups/conventions.

It doesn't say when they will be accepting individual reservations.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 07, 2008)

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""they weren't paying attention to the fact that he was a meglomaniac and one of the most incompetent and destructive mayors in history. ""

yeah until NOW...

Motorcitywireless
Username: Motorcitywireless

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you YPD! I am looking forward to the RESURRECTION of the D.

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have pictures of the completed parking garage? I can't get to Detroit until Christmas.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are now taking individual reservations

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going on a tour of it today :-)

401don

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Weekend rates are only $159 in November. That's going to give the competition downtown something to think about.
I need to book a room for game 7 of the World Series.:-)

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 622
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080813/BUSINESS04/808130339

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/gallery?Site=C4&Date=2008 0812&Category=BUSINESS&ArtNo=8 08120804&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr= 1

(Message edited by rjlj on August 13, 2008)

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Eric, I think my wife and I will book a room for my birthday.

Dinnc
Username: Dinnc

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would have been nice if the Griswold project worked out. Any hopes for that in the future?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3407
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^If & whenever the economy recovers (at least to allow for this project).

They pretty much have everyting in place.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Condos are still available.

This is the third time I received a "final chance" advertisement.

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are few units left, but not at the pre-construction prices, I don't think.

YPD

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went on the Book Cadillac,"hard hat" Tour on Friday,Aug.15,2008. It was put on by Andrew Koper of Cityscape Detroit, and the Ferchill Group. The tour guides did a fantastic job. The place is really looking sharp. Many thanks to the construction crews who were hustlin' to get the building ready for the opening on October 1st. They are doing a beautiful job. Here is a sampling of the 150+ pics I took during the tour of the hotel and the views of Detroit from it.flickr pics

(Message edited by warrenite84 on August 21, 2008)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 599
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! It's almost mind boggling to think just a few years ago, the interior of this place was a complete dump. I look forward to checking it out in the fall. The renovations look superb.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 588
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truly AMAZING how things can go from one extreme to the other and then back. It just shows no matter how bad things seem or look they can be completely turned around!

http://forgottendetroit.com/ca ddy/20.htm
http://forgottendetroit.com/ca ddy/10.htm

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! What an improvement. It just goes to show that with a lot of effort (and money), one can resurrect a "dead" building. The old Michigan Central station could get the same makeover if someone was serious about restoring it and had a plan for its use.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The inside of the Book Cadillac is looking wonderful!

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awesome..I went to the tour on that Monday before...it's good to see they have started laying some of the carpet that was out. It is looking more amazing by the day.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrenite, thank you for posting. Those are some great shots. Are those pics of a Condo or a Hotel room? Thanks.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm the tickets are a bit pricey.

I was day dreaming that I might spend $100 to go to the party, but $600, $2000, or $2500.....damn.

I wonder how many they will sell in this economy?

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife to be, "Booked" us a room for 11/15 for my big 30th. birthday. Word has it, that the hotel bar will remain the "Motor Bar," not sure what queues of old it will retain if any. Rooms were going for a king's ransom of which she would not reveal, but VERY exciting indeed!

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny Paulc I booked a room for my big 30th a week before 11/8. My b-day is the 5th but prices are cheaper on the weekend.

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ummm the tickets are a bit pricey.

I was day dreaming that I might spend $100 to go to the party, but $600, $2000, or $2500.....damn.

I wonder how many they will sell in this economy?"

The people who can afford those tickets aren't really that sensitive (financially) to the economic cycles. It's why the Watermark got rid of their 300k units and replaced them with 700k units. It's why McCain and Obama can still host $1000/plate fundraisers. Sure it'll be more difficult to sell those tickets than maybe, say 2006. But still...it'll be a busy crowd.

YPD

401don

Post Number: 734
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stayed at the Book in 1976 and remember seeing a few of the Orioles having drinks in the Motor bar after the game. About 10 years later, I stayed at the Ren Cen. Cal Ripken was having a sandwich and a glass of milk at Big Boy. Times had definitely changed.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner, yes those are from a condo on the 24th floor. A corner condo that went for $400K. Around roughly 1000 sq.ft..The views were so nice! The light well that used to have rooms around it are now the hallways for the floors; with window views too.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2773
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Earlier in this thread there was talk about the failed condo development on top of the Griswold garage. One thing that wasn't discussed was the ground floor retail. Seeing that the construction crews have finished the sidewalks in front of the garage, I can see the retail space. Currently it's just one huge space making up the distance roughly from Shelby to Griswold. Anybody hear what businesses were considering setting up shop there?

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else wondering what happened to David Kohrman of the Forgotten Detroit web site. It has been one of my favorite web sites for years. So much has changed downtown since his last update. Is anyone here in contact with him? He has updated his "about" link a tiny bit but im still captivated by his work, unchanged for many years. My daughters are 3 and 5. I sit with them and show them the interiors of the buildings. They love downtown. It was so funny on our trip from Detroit to Atlanta, they picked out every single downtown area, lol. SO anyway, anyone else just love this site and would love to see it updated? I just love his work so much that I would happy with just a few new comments.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps downtown Detroit is not so forgotten anymore? Just a thought.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 649
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s tatlerhotel/

http://kohrman.blogspot.com/

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I guess the guy who helped me (an 80s baby) fall in love with downtown Detroit is still around after all. Thanks leland_palmer.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 501
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm excited to see the BC in person someday.
It shows the that the spirit of the D is alive and coming back strong.
Now if only the Broderick, David Whitney, Book Tower and others would come back in such glorious fashion.
D

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I intend on trying to get a room there in November when WMU plays Illinois at Ford Field. :-) :-)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know you guys hate chains, but I would love to see Buffalo Wild Wings open up in the Griswold parking deck. It's a walkable location for all three sports venues and with 3 hotels within 3 blocks and the regular downtown crowd...oh, and me...business would do very well.

I hate having to commute to Dearborn or Ferndale for this essential service.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7227
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually if the Broderick, Whitney and Book Tower were restored, they would contain richer finishes than the larger Book-Cadillac in its final state.

Most all of the marble interior finishes and fancy metalwork of the B-C are long gone, and have been replaced with plaster, albeit with some very nice decorative plasterwork.

Although the ornate gilded lobby ceiling with it's golden grill work was ripped out before the restoration work, they did a decent job of adding some nice fancy ceiling medallions where the chandeliers are today, that gives us a glimpse of its once ornate grillwork.

Unlike the Broderick, Whitney and Book Tower, which still retain their interior marble veneer and fancy plaster/tile work, the B-C was long ago stripped of its' fancier details.

But with what they had to work with after nearly 30 years of scavenging, they've done an admirable job.

Oh... I wanted to add one caveat... I can't tell if the major rooms are in their final state, or if Scagliola marbling is yet to be applied to any columns or pilasters, nor can I tell if any additional decorative gilded finishes or colorful painting is yet to be added. Anyone know?

(Message edited by Gistok on August 24, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.