Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Kilpatrick brother in-law, 5 kilos of cocaine, handgun « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A mystery at door of mayor's altercation

Brother-in-law was athlete, changed name

BY BEN SCHMITT, M.L. ELRICK, JIM SCHAEFER and JOE SWICKARD • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS • August 1, 2008

It was one of the most bizarre events in recent Detroit political history: Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, while visiting his sister's house one afternoon last week, gets into an altercation with an officer while his brother-in-law stands by.

The Free Press is learning more about the man who watched it all unfold on his front porch, a story that carries its own bizarre twist.

It turns out Daniel Franklin Ferguson III -- who married the mayor's sister, Ayanna Kilpatrick, and is a relative of one of the mayor's best friends, controversial city contractor Bobby Ferguson -- has had his own brushes with the law.

Daniel Ferguson III was known, until last year, as Daniel Franklin Lyton, a onetime Detroit prep basketball star who became a two-time felon. He served about 9 years in federal prison after being caught with 5 kilograms of cocaine and a handgun, hidden in a pickup's gas tank. He remains on parole until 2011, court records show.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080801/NEW S01/808010375/1003/NEWS

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2545
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and the hits just keep on a comin'!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7936
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there were any doubt that it's all about your name in Detroit politics...

I think I'll change my name to Collins Conyers Cockrel VIII and give it a go.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10258
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was KK's legal fund going down the proverbial toilet. I guess he wil just have to use more taxpayers dollars now.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13644
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, he's gotta be that big, since he was allowed to get a name change after a felony conviction and time served...it could be the other way around.

This could be the reason Kwhyme has been allowed to stick around with such impunity, even after the quasi-investigations from folks in authority.

I daresay, but there have been strong rumors that the Mayor has had meetings in the CAY, which were more like parties, attended by some of the biggest drug dealers in town.

Some said it was like the Big Diamond was running the streets...perhaps he is in this position on purpose, maybe we just didn't specifically ask who or what his 'God' is...might've been some appointment in the grand scheme of global politics and the marketing of 'sanctioned' drug activity.

This could be much bigger than we thought, and might help explain some of the mysteries in the case.

But it does sound like some early Hollywood Pulp movie plot...over-sized characters and all.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=search&case=/data2/circs/8th/982432p.html&friend=nytimes

Appeals court filing which recounts the arrest in Nebraska

(Message edited by gnome on August 01, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 13647
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very curious.

Just read the application to legally change one's name, linked from the Freep's story on this.

Did you know that if you do so, they change your original birth certificate and seal the original?

So, this fellow might elude a standard background check?

He used this new name as a alias, even according to the police record check posted with the application...then they give it to him legally.

I think he's deep in the covert system...protected somehow...I cannot imagine any other way this name change could've been allowed.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I am more curious to know is this dude even Bobby's relative for real...

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2869
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think I'll change my name to Collins Conyers Cockrel VIII and give it a go.

The only problem is that, for 7 years after you change your name, you would be listed on the ballot as:
Collins Conyers Cockrel VIII (formerly known as: [Your Current Name]).

This, by the way, is the only reason why our ballot is already flooded with names like that.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is quite interesting. I knew Daniel Lyton was a basketball star at Cooley (he played on three straight Class A state champs '87, '88, '89) and I knew he had some problems with the law, but I never knew he was the same Daniel Ferguson who is KK's brother-in- law. This whole episode is getting messier by the day.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to figure out these dates.

It looks like he went to prison in 1997 for 9 years. That means he got out sometime in 06. Requested a name change in March of 07.

You have to be a resident of the county for 1 year before you can request a name change. Seems like it's cutting it pretty close to meet that requirement. Plus he married what's her name in 11-07.

Pretty busy 1st year after getting out of the slammer.

Not a bad gig for an ex-con.

Gannon

Post Number: 13657
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I'm saying.

IF he then turns up to be one of the Mayoral-enforced street drug sources (NOT a dealer, but a go-between official governmental drug importers and the street dealers), it is damn-near absolute proof that within our government there is sanctioned drug dealing happening to placate the masses.

This is discussed in the aftermath of the San Jose Mercury News articles on sanctioned drug importing and distribution, and numerous street rumors (that are obviously not anything more than hearsay). If anyone is not aware of that excellent journalistic series (later lambasted by official sources, because it contained too much actual truth) they need to look it up on-line.

But, this one has teeth...guy serves a felony sentence, is identified as a fine worker-bee who will do whatever is called for by his bosses in the meanwhile...gets out, is fast-tracked into a new identity...and then finds his way into the MIDDLE of some of the dirtiest shit our city can imagine?!

Yeah, it begs investigation...but closer one gets the more dangerous it will be...

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 784
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He probably just took the fall for the actual owner of the cocaine and is now reaping the rewards of keeping his mouth shut.

Gannon

Post Number: 13660
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I'm saying...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5989
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, are you referring to the Dark Alliance cocaine scheme reported in 1996?

Dark Alliance

Gannon

Post Number: 13661
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, just read the Wiki on it, too.

That's the one, didn't know it had become a book and the guy killed.

Damn. Like I said, it gets dirty dangerous down this rabbit-shit hole.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5 kilos? Probably just personal consumption.........

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Kwame's sister is married to a drug dealing crook.
I wonder how much tribute is needed to keep Kwame's thugs from whacking you.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just want to mention...

If you search my posts...

I brought up the RICO laws...

We might be drifting perilously close to that...

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wonder how much tribute is needed to keep Kwame's thugs from whacking you"

Apparently more than the two strippers had Lefty

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote;

"I dare say, but there have been strong rumors that the Mayor has had meetings in the CAY, which were more like parties, attended by some of the biggest drug dealers in town."

There are no big name drug dealers in Detroit...

Gannon

Post Number: 13700
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I say that?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.