Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » WDET(101.9 FM) « Previous Next »
Archive through August 03, 2008Rjlj30 08-03-08  7:45 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 659
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ashdetroit writes: "It sucks that the music on WDET is gone, but I really find it hard to believe that Cinderpath etc. wouldn't pay a (really tiny) donation yearly to keep an independent news station in Detroit. I mean, isn't delivering a quality news station on the radio (without commercials!) also important?

You can prefer good music to good news, but there's no sense bashing one in favor of the other!"

- I reply I understand where you are coming from, and certainly is a fair comment. But the reality is, WDET is no longer unique, what differentiates them from say WUOM? It was its uniqueness that set it apart from any other station on the dial in Detroit , and why I gave a lot. Therefore what incentive is there for me to donate? I like quality news, but not all the time, and I don't think perhaps you realize or appreciate just how good WDET's music programming was. As I said there is certainly room for a blend of the two (music/news), but again in its current format, there is nothing that differentiates WDET from any other NPR station.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8496
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to news programming on WDET, I know they have some really interesting longer format shows dedicated to Detroit specific issues, but is it really that much of a draw? Wasn't WDET's music format equally as valuable as a draw to the station? If one really wants some quick hit news articles, wouldn't one flip to WWJ for the latest news?

As a listener, if the topic on Detroit Today doesn't interest me, I'm gone whereas if it was music programming I'm inclined to linger a little more in hopes of something unique coming up perhaps.

I guess I just prefer more unique musical information over unique news topics.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8497
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Diane12163, I think the Alan that you were thinking about on WDET back then was Alan Oldham... not Alan Almond.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would more talk/call-in shows work?......maybe "A. A. (Alcoholics Anonymous) On The Air"........sorta kinda like the cars guys?.........or Frazier......."I'm listening!"..

Smogboy

Post Number: 8500
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7_and_kelly_kid, don't we have Dr. Laura for that already?

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with CInderpath in his lament for the loss of music, and I also feel little compulsion to give them money now that they are roughtly just like any other newsy NPR station. But just because I don't like the new format doesn't mean that listeners have deserted them in droves. For all I know they have more listeners than before. They say that listener preferences drove the changes, but I have difficulty believeing that money was not a substantial part of it. How many people were out there clamoring for the BBC news from midnight to 5AM? Hordes of owls, no doubt.

I should add LIz Copeland to Ed Love in my post before. For some years I didn't listen to her show ll that much, but I warmed to it a lot after a while, even though I seldom could stay up that late on a work night. I especially liked the full-album play that she'd do once a week at 2AM, though I could almost never catch it.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy..........no no no!........I'm talking about a REAL A.A. meeting of the air!.....whatever time..........if WDET is in a transition period (as am I!)............"Hello, my name is Dave and I am an Alcoholic! will get us started!.real meeetings are wonderful.......and the Internet is o.k.........but a REAL VOICE when you need a REAL VOICE is.........real.........I'm Listening.

Davecil
Username: Davecil

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Liz Copland show was hands down the best.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Sundays in the sun listening to John Penny

Optima
Username: Optima

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't listened to 'DET since they abandoned their musical audience and do not plan to listen again. After years of heeding their pleas for support to "keep the music alive" and tolerating their often questionable progamming that rarely appealed to me, they left us all in a bad way. www.radioparadise.com has filled the void quite nicely and with the myriad other sources for quality music 'DET is now just a fading memory. I only go back to the Mike Halloran days with them but heard much music that changed my life...

Cm

Optima
Username: Optima

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't listened to 'DET since they abandoned their musical audience and do not plan to listen again. After years of heeding their pleas for support to "keep the music alive" and tolerating their often questionable programming that rarely appealed to me, they left us all in a bad way. www.radioparadise.com has filled the void quite nicely and with the myriad other sources for quality music 'DET is now just a fading memory. I only go back to the Mike Halloran days with them but heard much music that changed my life...

WABX was by far the best station I ever encountered followed closely by WLBS (the only station that matters w/Halloran) and the Big 8 if we are including AM stations...

Cm

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one am quite happy with their current format. I go online for all my music, between my iPod, Last.FM, and iTunes radio, and that was before the format switch, and I know a lot of people who have made that switch to all-digital. With an iPod, which most folks under 30 have now, music radio isn't as relevant or needed.

For me, my listenership has risen ever since the switch - I wouldn't give up Detroit Today.

As to WUOM providing news, first, it's not available throughout the region and is pretty scratchy - second, it's Ann Arbor. It doesn't have Quinn, Jerome, Noah, or Craig. Ann Arbor is really it's own area and has it's own concerns.

Jazzfan
Username: Jazzfan

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started listening to Judy Adams back in the 70s. She turned me on to lots of great music and sure opened up my ears to a ton of stuff. I also enjoyed Chuck Horn's show, which I think was on from 10-1. These days, I enjoy "The Signal" with Laurie Brown on CBC--89.9 FM at 10 p.m. Quite an eclectic mix of new music.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13679
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy Adams can be found at the Music Hall running a young talent development she's calling The Discovery Series in their Jazz Cafe lounge in the lobby.

Keep your ear's peeled...she's got something cool brewing, but I will defer to HER announcement in the right time.

Cheers

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed Love is the man. Also, a couple of posters mentioned Mojo. The man is a legend. He would play Prince, P-Funk, Kraftwerk, and Vinx and then play B52's, J Geils, and Michael Franks. Man, I miss radio like that. Long live the Electrifying Mojo!!

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 651
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed Love is the only thing I enjoy about DET anymore, I listen only occasionally, used to be a DET addict until that new director came in and did away with Bandyck and Adams and a host of others,, so sad, it was one of the best, and now one of the worst,, and to make matters worse, they know it from the public but do nothing to amend their errors. I do email them with these thoughts ( as do others) and they just refuse to make any adjustments,, even small ones,, that made them a great station

Gannon

Post Number: 13712
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You cannot say that, DetroitBill.

That 'new director' is long gone...and I'm sure the board is reluctant to make any other drastic changes.

DetroitTODAY has done a great job of rooting out local bands and new forms of music delivery...like the parlor music trend happening in Woodbridge and Palmer Woods. They've covered every major festival, even to the point of having multiple days of music and interviews going into CityFest.

Have you even listened lately during the day? Go NOW to the WDET website and listen to the archives of their show...you can go back quite a ways, I think. Pay attention to the second hour on Fridays, especially.

Craiggy and his team are doing a wonderful job keeping that live music studio viable...there is hope for WDET yet. (especially on HD-2...heh)

Cheers

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My all-time favorite show was called "Dimensions." Loved the alternative music, live interviews/performances in the studio, and every now and then an eclectic literary reading. I really miss ALL the GREAT local programming...and the education one could get just by LISTENING!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoy free radio now, the clock is ticking.

The third part of the Analog Sunset will be radio airwaves.

SEEYA.

Otter

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would probably like WDET2 a lot, but who has a HD receiver?? not I, said the duck. If it were streamable I'd listen. As it is, I think KFAI is now my best interesting-music source.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I truly enjoyed Willie Wilson when he had his stint on WDET. Mr. Wilson was quite knowledgable when it came to Detroit R & B and roots rock. He would often have on his program, rabid record collectors such as the late Antonio Fusco who would expound on their vast archives of obscurities. Can you say Emmanuel Lasky and "Welfare Cheese"?

Smogboy

Post Number: 8531
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy, I think the keyword in what you said about WDET there is that they're KNOWLEDGEABLE. Their personalities with their in-depth musical knowledge is what made them unique. Is there anywhere else on the radio dial nowadays where you can hear something a disc jockey discovered? A B-side? A local band being played?

Hardly and that's what's truly sad about Detroit radio.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To: Otter

There are portable HD boomboxes available anywhere that boomboxes are sold and they cost just little more than the non HD variety. I've seen them for about $30 or so. It's worth it because there are so many HD stations now. WRIF has one that I know of. I think even CBET in Canada has one and they're public and play a lot more music and still have great 12 midnight on till 5 am alternative programming. I used to love to listen to Augusta Lapaye(Last name spelling?) on Brave New Waves which I believe is still on with a new woman host. It had been taken over by Brendt Bambry but, he's doing the CBC news at noon now. Augusta was the best and I loved her drippy lush voice. She owns a B&B now with her life partner. She once in awhile will come on to pitch hit for the show but, it is rare. Also, WRIF used to have 12-5am Rock Cafe where they'd play b-sides and rarities and get in depth with the music details. I recorded a great deal of stuff from there.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 524
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy, Willie Wilson kept me listning to DET. Hated when he went to Sat mornings.Where you talking about Tony Fusco formerly of Music Music in GC?.

Otter

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane,

Thanks for the heads-up - I didn't know you could get an HD receiver that inexpensively.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5201
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish they would find a place for Willie Wilson and Jon Penny, but I sure don't miss Judy Adams and Bandyke. I found her show unlistenable and his show boring and repetitive.

Bring back Mick Collins too.

Gannon

Post Number: 13729
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, I miss Jon Penny, too...and am glad I found Willy, he's doing the scheduling and promotions for the Magic Bag out in Ferndale.

Finally met him the same night I re-connected with Uncle Buck (from WCSX) at the Mitch Ryder/Mark Farner concert at the RenCen with Fnemecek last month.

Great fellow who LOVES helping young musicians find their way through the morass of the industry...what a resource.

It makes me more and more angry every time I think of what happened to WDET...if only their current management could admit the mistake and do what they could to adjust for it on their HD-2 bandwidth...especially with local music. There is the chance to make right, if only there can be found the will...and the budget!

Otter,
Most of those HD tuners will set you back a few hundred, the most viable seems to be the Visteon portable that can be moved from car to home...but I've not played with it yet, so I cannot tell you how well it works.

Far be it to chide and correct a fellow conspiracy theorist, but there seems to be NO way for any sort of feedback loop for PAY HD radio...it is as one-way as the current system, unlike satellite radio which only works if paid for...although I do not know fully if they have any nefarious plans!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We wrote a strong letter of protest when they changed format. We loved the different genres that were represented. One show that was canceled was re-instated. The Arkansas Traveler

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog289, If the Tony Fusco you remember was a short, balding, obnoxious, surly son of bitch, we are speaking of the same person. Tony was an avid record and Americana collector who also worked at Desirable Discs and his own place called The Funhouse, I believe.

Tony was a good friend and we had numerous good times drinking and joking around together. Although somewhat of a woman hater, Tony got laid more times than a large roll of carpet. We used to hang with a roots-rock combo called "The Rock-a-Billy Cats" and shared many a laugh poking fun at the suburban punk rockers, in working class fashion at Lili's in Hamtown.

Also of note, Tony and I used to listen to an Afro-centric rant program on WDTR on Sundays which followed Jim Petrat's "Old and Gold" show.We dubbed this program "The Kill Whitey Hour" and would know if either of us was listening in when we phoned in to the "check in" portion of the show. We referred to ourselves as either Dashiki Golabki (Polish Stuffed Cabbage) or Brother B'Venwalle (Beav & Wally).

No doubt Mr. Fusco is kicking sand in the faces of dead punk rockers in Rock and Roll Heaven. Miss you Tony, old friend. Rest in Peace.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 316
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy, is you related to zona de surf?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 334
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow I forgot about WDTR's "Old and Gold" I used to tune in every Sunday. What was that segment? Dottie's Delights ? Loved the show

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv, zona de surf, the sidewalk surfer on the concrete Hobo Trail to Nowhere, is my alter ego. Though, I'm more Incredible Mohawk than Tony Hawk.

Dannyv, where have I had the pleasure of your acquaintance?

I chose the moniker, zona de surf, because Michael Happy and his zealots would not have
liked it had I chose the user name "MC Mudder Fukker".

...and in response to your grammar in your last post..Y'sir I sho' is.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2919
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's one host on that station ...

(TURNS MUSIC UP)

(TURNS MUSIC DOWN)

... and I don't like his show at all ...

(TURNS MUSIC UP)

(TURNS MUSIC DOWN)

... his entire show seems to consist ...

(TURNS MUSIC UP)

(TURNS MUSIC DOWN)

... of turning music up ...

(TURNS MUSIC UP)

(TURNS MUSIC DOWN)

... and down.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sludgedaddy, I knows you thru Dirty Joe. I ran into the Bookman and his Sexy Sadie a few months ago. More to the point tho', I was buds with Tony Fusco and ran across him on the WestSide on a vinyl quest years ago. He was the Man to See for PVC. There's a Void where that Man used to be. I just wanted to give him and you a tip of the cap for your memory of him. Say a prayer to ST. Dismas for him.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.